Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend and I are building a 1988 Toyota Pickup to compete in the legends class of rrock’s 2009 season. We plan on keeping the 22re and the w56. Were going to run duel cases, a dana 60 and a 14 bolt. The suspension is going to have air shocks all the way around with a 3 link up front and a 4 link in the back. We’ve got some H1 wheels that were going to run 39.5” tires on. Obviously, we had to rip off all the ifs junk and we went ahead and back halved the truck since the frame was junk back there, but that is all we have done for far.

We still need to cut and grind off the mounts on the frame, but at least it’s a start.

Here is a before picture of the back of the truck. We’ve already cut the frame right behind the cab. I just need to get a picture of it.

There will be many more updates to the thread with a lot of pictures as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A Toyoda eh??

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
all i have to contribute is i wish i still had access to a bunch of those greenlee reel stands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some pictures of where we cut the frame.

The H1 wheels are at the sandblaster and we've cut down all the runflats. You can see in the picture how much we cut, and I think we're going to cut more just to make sure we don't cut a tire.

Heres kind of what we are shooting for a 106" wheelbase with the front axle pushed forward as far as the rrock rules let us.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
are you going to beef up the engine a little?
when your not in low gears the engine might be straining a bit....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plans right now are to leave the engine as is, since this is going to be a trail only rig it should always be in low. We may end up putting some lower gears in one of the cases though.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm running front 3 link, rear 4 link, air shocks, 42's, 60/14, 4:88's, 4.7 in rear case, stock in front, completely stock 22re - smog stuff.

It works, crawls great, but there are definitely times when I would love to be able to have a few more horses. In retrospect when I had the time, and when I cut the front off and tubed it, I should have put a TBI 350 in it.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea with the 22re we're going to need some lower gears of some type. What would you guys do? Lower gears in both cases, lower gears in one case and the axles, lower gears in both cases and the axles?

I've been out of town the last week, but Jeremy (my partner in this project and the actual owern of the truck) has gotten some work done and I will post some updates as soon as I have pictures.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
with 4.88 r&p,2.2 front case,4.7 in rear case,and 3.92 first gear,you'll be around 206 to 1
swap in your r&p and times all the rest of that ,that'll be your crawl ratio

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yeah, 4.88, and 4.7 in the rear case is good. I can walk next to my truck as it idles over small stuff without stalling, and for the most part gets up everything I point it at.

But as said above if you want to really flog it to get up slipperly climbs, or in the snow, the re is just not enough power, no matter how low you gear it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies on the gears. Right now we're going to use the money we have to get the truck driveable, then we'll have to come back and address the gears to make it crawl.

Here are the updates I have:

We got the wheels back from the sandblaster, and they were painted with tractor paint. (Big thanks to Ben)

Since our dana 60 is a dodge dually, and we aren’t rich, We’re going to leave the dually hubs. As you can see in the picture the backspacing of the hummer wheels almost puts the tire in the stock location.

Here's a picture of the dually hub we may swap them out with single wheel hubs and recenter the hummer wheels if we end up being too wide.

We've got the t-cases together and in the truck. We've started cutting the floor to be able to raise the drivetrain up as high as possible.

Ben also started cutting out the crossmember for the t-cases.

That’s all I've got for right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts