Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I headed down to thaven to play in the dirt, get a feel for the suspension and have a soft landing spot if I tipped it over..

Got there, did some playing on thursday, had some fun giving the other guys with follow the leader type thingl; it did great!

I also got to put more miles on the rear gears, wanting them to be somewhat broken in before I hit hard works with them.

So, on thursday night, we run over to the superburger for grease and sugar, and headed back, I find the zuk can do about 45-50 max.. (in 3rd, it won't do shit in 4th, and 5th, what's that?)

Just before the turn off, I hear a change in the driveline - not good I said to myself. Start to make the turn, loud popping noises coming from the drivetrain. Put the rear tcase in neutral, and note it's not the tranny, 1st tcase.. doesn't seem to be the 2nd tcase.. Hmm..

Pull over, friend stops, says "what's wrong?" I say, "it's making loud popping noises".

He sees the rear pinion is messed up, looks like this:

I think to myself, oh oh, it did it. It cleaned the 5.29's off.

Get it off the trailer today (that was fun - couldn't back up, had to push the rear tires off, and pull the trailer out from under it). Not good. it does move forward, however.

Pull the rear axle, pull the shafts, no damage there.. unbolt the 3rd, happy to see teeth on the ring gear.

It looks like this:

It chewed the carrier up pretty good. BUT, the pinion teeth are all there, no chips!

Drained the axle, and found this:

and it's these things:

Yup, one of the pinion bearings grenaded. Bad bearing. I didn't believe it would chew a bearing out before it destroyed a R&P.

So, it will be at least thursday before Jim's gear guy can look at it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. It was doing soo good on thursday too!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scwafish said:
That sucks in a huge way...isn't that a brand new diff?
Oh yea. Brand Spanking new. Only about 100-150 miles on it.

I was, uhm, "testy" the whole weekend.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
tdavis said:

I was, uhm, "testy" the whole weekend.
I think that is a bit of an under statement. It was good to see you out there this weekend though. I know some of those down hills we did would have been a blast in the sammy :D

Matt

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Wow.. I am amazed that the damage was so limited.

You do the install? You preload with oil in the bearings?

When I was setting up my 5.29s, I was checking the pattern with dry bearings. On the final check, I oiled the bearings, and what do you know.. The damn pattern changed! So adjust and pattern again.. Lesson learned.

Hope all works out well.

-Wayne

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Wich bearing bit the bullit, the one closest to the driveshaft or the rear one ? Looks like that housing doesnt have an oil galley goin to the front pinion bearing... or is it just not a good view ? Shim setup or crush collar ??? Ive takin out pinion bearings with the ole back and forth deal (front bearing) and always with a crush collar. But thats usually alot of heavy abuse wich in turn crushes the collar beyond what it should be. Looks like the pinion was sucked inward towards the ring gear.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I'm surprised that it didn't tear up your gears.
Your pinion is probably:nuke:

I would look hard at the pinion shaft, before a reinstall.
Change all bearings, and closely inspect and clean everything else before putting back together.

I have never seen bearing come apart like that.
My guess is a faulty install or bad bearings.
Would lean more to the install.

Definitely be going back to the seller.

·
Registered
600 Posts
is that a yota axle with an electric locker?????? and can you send me a pic or two of your dual t- cast setup???
thanks

quit calling me a newbie

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some answers

1) I didn't do the gear setup - [email protected] has a guy do it. The gear guy is an ex-race-car builder - so he should know how to do it right (and I know - should and could are two different words). I watched him work on my ARB front diff, he did all the right things on it that could I tell, so I don't think it was a bad setup.

2) The bearing that blew was the one closest to the drive shaft.

3) Jim has it now - already told him I won't take it back with the current bearings and a crush sleeve in it. Solid spacer, all new bearings, and new seals are the minimum. The R&P are iffy till it's torn down (thursday, hopefully).

4) newbie (ie, kd7srj) - if you had used the search, you'd find all the pics and information on my dual-toy case setup.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
tdavis said:
Some answers
2) The bearing that blew was the one closest to the drive shaft.

3) Jim has it now - already told him I won't take it back with the current bearings and a crush sleeve in it. Solid spacer, all new bearings, and new seals are the minimum. The R&P are iffy till it's torn down (thursday, hopefully).

Like i said..... looks to me like theres no oil galley pushin oil to the front bearing, am i right ? If so, that sucks and id be lookin to get oil up there somehow.

I think loosin the crush sleeve would be very wise.

If the R&P is goin to be replaced and its not chewed up too bad, you could clean up the edges with a die grinder and use it for a trail spare.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Titanium said:

Look i said..... looks to me like theres no oil galley pushin oil to the front bearing, am i right ? If so, that sucks and id be lookin to get oil up there somehow.

I think loosin the crush sleeve would be very wise.

If the R&P is goin to be replaced and its not chewed up too bad, you could clean up the edges with a die grinder and use it for a trail spare.
I think the Toyota high pinion uses a little oil splasher/slinger to get the oil up there. You might want tomake sure it is in its place and doing its job! I'd imagine that Titanium is correct that oil starvation may have killed this bearing.

-Wayne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts