Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to make an online junkyard for Toyota truck and 4runners, what would all of you be interested in seeing? How would you like the search features? Would you like an online shopping cart or prefer to calling? Any other suggestions would be helpful too.

Thanks.
Steve

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The biggest drawback I see is going to be shipping cost. Search features are great as well as how mnay on stock etc. But will you be able to set up some sort of deal with a shipping company to make it worthwhile for us that live far away? And then again, there are many Yota people on this board, would you be able to keep up should it work out? In other words, are you just now starting or have you been in business for long? I am not trying to be an arsh but these are things to think about before venturing in this direction.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been talking with a local business that specializes in Toyota Truck and 4Runners. He is an established junk yard (I think about 10 years). I am just a computer guy who enjoys Toyotas. I have no interest in owning a junk yard. I do contract programming and am seeking information on creating his site.

The biggest problem I see is communication between the web and the yard; as for an online cart. I do not know yet how he ships parts. I haven't thought of that. I just purchase my parts from them - no shipping. Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
most wrecking yards are already "online" which in their language means that if they don't have a part they can get it from another wrecking yard, amybe across the country. maybe some of these other yards could drop ship to the customer to minimze the shipping costs.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by Donovan:
<STRONG>Try this place. www.car-parts.com</STRONG>
Thats the one I always use. Nice search setup...knows when a part changed in the middle of a generation and also when the same part was carried over to another generation or model. Just call em on an 800 # and the part is at my door in a couple of days. Most of the shipping seems reasonable...I paid $10 to ship a p/s box that probably is 30#.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Besides the ability to search for what you want and get a price online, and shipping, the pricing is really key.

Sometimes I'll go to junkyards and get prices that are only just slightly below buying new--that really pisses me off (junkyard people in my neck of the woods often price Land Cruiser parts like they are made out of gold).

The whole reason I'm going to dig through crap in some bone yard is to get a good price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.