Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope the is is a one-time issue, but wanted to see if anyone else has been having issues with Masterpull. it has been about 3 months since I ordered my winch rope. First rope was wrong, had to be sent back. Second rope has arrived and what the heck is this?

http://communities.msn.com/RockCrawler4x4/masterpullrope.msnw

!Not what you'd expect for the money these things cost, that's for sure! They must have run out of real crimp-on ends winch-end of the rope, so they apparently took an old worn-out hole-saw, cut a make-shift off-centered washer out of 1/8" sheet steel, then welded it to a cut-and-partially-rewelded (outer edge only mind you) standard chain link. Then they partially ground it smooth and called it good.

NOTE: the real worry here is A) the chain link is only welded on the outer edge, most of the weld being ground off, and B) the make-shift washer was never smoothed on the edges and under even finger-pressure compression of the rope end the sharp edge of the washer goes right into the turned end of the rope! Anyone else seen a change in quality under the increased demand at Masterpull lately?

I should add that other than the quality of the end, the rest of the order quality is just amazingly nice... guess that's why this stands out so much as being uncharacteristic of them. Also, Kevin at www.4wheelersupply.com has given abosolutely AWESOME customer service on all of these problems with Masterpull. I'd order from him again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
solution: send it back and then call Rockstomper

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer Masterpulls hook setup. Does Rockstomper carry the 23,500 lb rated 3/8" rope yet though? If so...

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Scott got threatend/ atempted intimidation by the jerks at masterpoo a few days back. there was a nice post about it. He also had a nice post up about how to braid the ends. I recall him saying he had the 3/8's.

·
Premium Member
25,812 Posts
DAMN!! That looks more like a, had to fix it quick on the trail repair to me! For what those cost I would be :mad3: :mad3:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
sad to say but it looks better than a standard crimp on terminal. If you ever used this stuff it is really slick on the drum so you can't spool as much out as regular wire.

Ron

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
The crimp on ends have been a continual source of irritation when using the synthetics. Any slack in the drum wraps and the slick rope just pulls the end off of the rope.

Their have been several different eye configurations tested and it looks as if yours is the latest in a series.

The fit and finish do leave something to be desired given the quality of the rest of the set-up, but the mechanical connection should exceed the shear strength of the bolt into the drum side.

That's about the best you can hope for as far as slowing the slipping problem down.

I have experimented with a few connections of a similar variety and a copy of what you have, only finished better will be my next one.

It has to be some sort of ring you can get a bolt through and then splice the rope onto.

My best solution so far has been to make a very small eye in the rope with a fender washer on the drum bolt. Iffy at best because you can over extend the bolt into the winch internals.

I have also seen an overwrap peel the rope out of the crimped on terminals. That pretty much makes a crimped connection of any kind useless.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm with these two guys. The crimp on end gave me trouble on my Masterpull. The chain thing looks ghetto, but should work better.

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
The fit and finish do leave something to be desired given the quality of the rest of the set-up, but the mechanical connection should exceed the shear strength of the bolt into the drum side.
Agreed - just hope noone sees it! :D I probably would have welded around the inside, as well, if I could without warping the washer. I'd only try to fill the gap on the outside, so would be as smooth as could be.

Bryan

·
Registered
413 Posts
Beartrack said:
I prefer Masterpulls hook setup. Does Rockstomper carry the 23,500 lb rated 3/8" rope yet though? If so...
I don't know what lb rating it has, but YES Rockstomper has 3/8" in precut and custom lentghs. I've got 150' on mine.

The only thing I'd add to the topic of crimp on ends is that my crimp on end fell off out of the box. It really doesn't seem like any amount of crimping can really keep a hold of the synthetic rope, so I'd say masterpull is going a step in the right direction.

Also, if I recall my winching instructions, Warn does not recommend winching with less than 4 or 5 full wraps of rope on the drum (I think). So really the rope end is not supposed to have much if any pulling pressure on it because 5 wraps of rope around the drum is adequate to hold onto the rope.

My conclusion: Does the rope end really matter. Just smooth it out yourself so it doesn't snag and be done with it. Or make your own end (it's really not that hard).

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I'm really suprised to hear you guys mention the slipping/slipperieness.

One of the nicest things about my Amsteel Blue (NOT Masterpull) is that it doesn;t slip or move around on the drum at all. When re-spooling, I can stop the winch, and just let go of the rope and no slip or birdsnesting at all, no matter how much or little is on the drum.

I agree, the quality of that end (other than being atrocious looking) really shouldn't be an isssue...you should never ever be putting any strain on it.

"Course the ultimate solution is just to buy an 8274 and poke the rope through the little hole and tie a knot :flipoff2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts