Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finished my build up on my 85 truck with a w56c tranny upgrade. it was a rebuild with a few miles on it when I bought it from 4runner house in garland. I get it put in and have a buddy up top dumping fluid through the shifter while I have the plug open on the side to tell him when to stop while I am bolting up the driveshafts. It comes out the side and we stop and plug the hole and life is merry. Two days later I have a leak from trans front seal. Crap. Let it sit too long on shelf? Three days later very faint noise in tranny like bearing. Open the plug to see if my little leak had drained the tranny. at least a quart poured out (not on the ground at all by the way EPA.) I am wondering if I have ruined this transmission by overfilling it from the top hole when it is 35 degrees and having too many adult beverages to think that molasses might take a minute to get to the check hole.:confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Were you on level ground both times you checked the fluid level? Had you just driven the truck before you checked the fluid the last time when a quart poured out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Level ground check, Just drove about 120 miles prior to the last fluid check. Tranny case was scalding hot and the 80-90w poured out like tea. I figured we were close enough on first fill and since we were drunk thrashing, it was kind of "done. done. done. almost done."
We finished at about 4am on a Saturday morning and went in the back 40 to "test it out". Worked like a champ. But now I don't want to drive it and tear up anymore internals. Just have to tear it out I guess and try again.

·
Registered
287 Posts
overfilling a manual transmission wont hurt it. Might cause a leak as you describe but that's it. If it were an automatic its another story, I would say your rebuilt trans needs looked at.

·
Registered
287 Posts
actually I try to overfill mine about half a quart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kind of what I figured. been tooling around all day and it does not like a third to second downshift. spits shifter back out to neutral.I have a rebuild kit for the g52 with bearings and gaskets. If I figure it all out I will have a back up anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts