Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Looks very good. There is a bb all about it to help you out, with lots of happy customers and tons of pics! But since you bake it in an oven, bumpers won't fit....but you can use a certin lamp, it is best to use a lamp, but they are $300+ and there just is no way to shortcut with anyother lamps period! You can't run your car on water, and you can't bake your parts with a flashlight:D So you would be out around $500, unless you plan to make some $ doing others bumpers, you are better off paying a pro to powder coat for you.But if you are doing items that fit in an old oven, then it's a great value.
just looked at add, I think this is a different guy, the kit I saw was around $129-200 abd the guy sold chrome plating kits, aluminum anodising kits ect look around.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
My dad has a powdercoting shop, I dunno who you'd buy the little amount of paint that you need from. paint isn't cheap.

up here we have a 65 canadian dollar minimum charge but anything you'd paint and fit in your oven would be way less than what we'd paint. probably do a bumper for $65...and it'd be a professional job.

powdercoating is relatively cheap to get done.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Theres a few other places that sell kits.

Eastwood come to mind far as kits

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I thought about buying one of those from eastwood. They sell any color powder you could want also for around $20 for a pint. I was going to modify an old farm 500 gallon fuel tank and 2 old kitchen stoves to accept larger stuff. Just another idea for ya :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
But since you bake it in an oven, bumpers won't fit....but you can use a certin lamp, it is best to use a lamp, but they are $300+ and there just is no way to shortcut with anyother lamps period!
Actually, since most powder coat curing only requires about 350-400º to cure/bake, you CAN make your own oven.

couple 75 or 100W light bulbs and a wood box or old fridge/freezer can work. Put incandecent bulbs in an enclosed/sealed evronment like that and you can get quite a bit of heat.

Most powder coat can cure at lower temps as well, it just take longer. But since this is not production....

Couple heating elements pirated out of an old oven and riged up in a old freezer can do the same thing.....

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
SeaBass44 said:

base clear does not "Hides imperfections so you don't have to prep as good." as well as a one part enamal. in fact base clears tell you to sans finer because you are putting down a thinner materail.just the reverse of what you said.Unless you ment enamal 2 part as in paint and reducer? there is also hardener 3rd part, and I wouldn't paint without it.... ask anybody that does it foir a living....yes I have worked at autobody shops before, yes I know ...only reason I am replying. If you want to not prep, well that is wrong in the 1st place, but get some catalized builder primer, it lays up thicker then std primer 5x or so, but then you need a real gun and some skilz, and get it out of the gun withing the setup time or you will have a big mess....ya I forgot a few times, stuff sets up to a solid in 1-3 hours I forget:D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
RustoleumWhite said:

Couple heating elements pirated out of an old oven and riged up in a old freezer can do the same thing.....
This may just work, good idea, anyone you know try it?:D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
ryankopecki said:

I don't even know what a base clear is, maybe "clear coat"? I just use DouPonte 2 part enamel. It aint that hard to do, we're not painting show vehicles here anyway. It stays on and looks fine. I think it's a little harder to scratch than regular paint or rattle cans too, but maybe just cause it goes on thicker. The extra thickness is really noticable when you paint over welds that haven't been ground.
Ok you are right, it is what almost all cars were painted with 30 years ago. Base/clear is just that. base coat is the color, and it goes on flat, after that you clearcoat it, giving the shine and protection. that is what 99.999% of todays cars are painted with. what you are using, if you put in the hardener it will make it very tough, much harder to scratch, but it will be a bit more brittle, but worth the trade off. For my 4x's I still like rattle cans, easy touch up:p

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
SeaBass44 said:

This may just work, good idea, anyone you know try it?:D
truth be told... I have not personaly tried it, but the "therory" is sound.

This was told to me buy one of my old bosses. They made exersis equipment, all Powder Coated. He sayed "back in the day" when they were just starting out, they used to do it that way.

Or he could have been yanking my chain, sounds good though. I'v been meening to try it out, just havn't gotten to THAT project yet..

·
Premium Member
13,081 Posts
Here's one...I was reading a book (or webpage) about powdercoating and the guy just 'extended' his oven for his bumper. Don't remember what he used, but he built a long insulated box that slid onto the open oven door and made the oven larger. He did his grille, bumper, etc.

BTW, I have the HF powder coat unit and I'm VERY happy with it.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Damage said:
Here's one...I was reading a book (or webpage) about powdercoating and the guy just 'extended' his oven for his bumper. Don't remember what he used, but he built a long insulated box that slid onto the open oven door and made the oven larger. He did his grille, bumper, etc.

BTW, I have the HF powder coat unit and I'm VERY happy with it.
I would very much like to hear more from you on this. send any pics to me I will post them up for all to see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts