Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im buying an 8.8 axle but the one that i found from a friend he told me that is open, i need to know how good or bad is to have an oper axle i will be apreciate all youre help thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ignore those assholes,

Get an 8.7 closed. The 8.8 open is junk.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts

:mad3:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
SamiFlyer said:
I've had good luck with the semi open floater 8.6 but it's got the d-clip upgrade. :flipoff2:

Sean :cool2:

well, if you are going to go with a ford axle why go c-clip? I mean, why not upgrade to the D or F clip? F-clip would be superior by far, it is a Ford after all. between the 8.6 and the 8.8 i would have to say neither. 8.7 has a superior flux capacitor equivelancy and a higher quality air cooling system. my $.02

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quan said:
well, if you are going to go with a ford axle why go c-clip? I mean, why not upgrade to the D or F clip? F-clip would be superior by far, it is a Ford after all. between the 8.6 and the 8.8 i would have to say neither. 8.7 has a superior flux capacitor equivelancy and a higher quality air cooling system. my $.02

No way. The air cooling didn't come in until the 8.9 was released. I agree the f-clip is the way to go but you can buy a complete Currie 9" for almost the same price! At least the d-clip has carbide tipped ring scrappers and multiporous slide rails.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
SamiFlyer said:
No way. The air cooling didn't come in until the 8.9 was released. I agree the f-clip is the way to go but you can buy a complete Currie 9" for almost the same price! At least the d-clip has carbide tipped ring scrappers and multiporous slide rails.

oh, well I was almost positivie I saw an 8.7 with the air cooling feature, maybe it was a hybrid built by WMS or something. I do agree that the carbide tipped ring scrapers are a great feature, but the F clip has the bilateral diamond coated retainer inserts and the spring loaded locker. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quan said:
oh, well I was almost positivie I saw an 8.7 with the air cooling feature, maybe it was a hybrid built by WMS or something. I do agree that the carbide tipped ring scrapers are a great feature, but the F clip has the bilateral diamond coated retainer inserts and the spring loaded locker. :grinpimp:
That diamond coating is the best but did you ever try to put one of those spring loaded lockers in? You need the high density sprongletuned spanner wrench and it has to be the metric one or else you're fawked. And if that's wasn't enough, the dual zincombobulate coating on the inner seals tends to flake right off. Once that happens, the hydrometric gasblow bearings can suffer oil starvation and when they go they often take the u-joints with them. It's not pretty!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
If its open and you want it closed the easiest and cheapest way is to fill it with a special solution, mix 1 qt. of synthetic atf, and an equal amount of sand. The sand acts as a friction modifier and makes the differential into a closed aka locked one.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
From my experience i have found that this axle has such great dynamic equilibruim in the open state that it actually functions to the inverse of other axles. Being that the Bigger tires you use, and the more hp that you put to it the stronger the axle gets. As long as you chose one of the previosly mentionsed superior clip designs of coarse.

Ian-

·
Registered
114 Posts
:eek: Okay I think I have an 8. ? but I'm not sure if I can follow you with all this discumbobulated, diamond, semi, out of the closet..... WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!:D I thought I had heard some questions before but:shaking: wow :shaking: this is fun. Keep up the tech I'm learning new fangled stuff out of here thats fo' sure.:cool2:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts