Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this build probably wont excite anybody, but here goes..

My dad is getting ready to retire in the next year, and intends on either a diesel pusher motorhome, or an F550 and camper setup. The problem is, we live in washington and he wants to be able to go to Arizona time to time. The logistics problem is getting all the toys there.

We have alot of toys, but obviously wont he wont be taking them all. What he intends to take, is his basically stock Jeep rubicon, his can-am renegade 800, and his Rzr, and two, perhaps three seadoo 4 stoke watercraft. Instead of the quad and the rzr he also wants to be able to haul his Can-am Spider.

This project has been in the brainstorming and thinking mode for months now.

We're starting with a brand new lahmar trailer he had custom ordered for this project.

Trailer Specs:
-22' Deck
-3 6000 pound axles (They were supposed to be 5k axles, but they 'upgraded' us without even saying anything (at no charge) but he had purchased 6 custom wheels for the axles we ordered before the trailer arrived. Thankfully Les Schwab let us swap them for different wheels, even though they look nothing like the ones we really wanted to have.)
-Electric over hydraulic jack
-Electric over hydraulic disc brakes on all axles
Trailer is capable of a 18k GVW but it is licensed at 15,900.

First thing we did was took off the diamond plate fenders and ordered some rolled stainless fenders from Shadow Trailers (we have one of their SHad IV Four place trailers, and if you've got the cash, their trailers are probably one of the nicest trailers ever built, but you will PAAYYY for it.)

WE added a protech tool box to the front of the trailer, we had the rear half of the box powder coated black. In front of the box we sheared a piece of stainless sheet metal to cover up the gap in front of the box.

Next we moved on to ordering some of the steel, most of the upper deck is built from 2x4 .120 wall and .188, but there will also be 2.5x2.5 .25, 2x2 .120 and 2x3 .120 wall.

We ordered 5 sticks of 4x2 120 and 1 stick of 4x2. .188 which be be used in the rear stanchion but will have a roller bearing assembly in it.

Heres the first stantion.

Fast Forward a few hours..

Then I burned out some 3/16 gussets on the plasma table

That wrapped up the weekend, and most of the tubing. So today we put in an order for some more, it'll be here in a few days.. Hopefully this project moves right along, but I have a feeling it will be a slow one, as I work nights, and my dad works days, generally 6-7 days a week.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Are you gonna be able to pull that thing out of the garage when its done? Looks like your off to a good start.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as it sits now, its about 2" too tall for my garage door. We knew this when we were building it. Our solution will be to drop the wheels and tires off and roll it out with the forklift and the tractor.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
uh....okay. What design are you going for? And how do you plan to "stack" the stuff? How are you planning to load the top?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front deck you see is stationary, the rear deck will pivot off the stationary part and land down right at the rear of the bottom deck. There will be custom made hydraulic cylinders used to raise and lower the deck.

As I said what we intend to put up there is water craft, so obviously we will need a winch system up on top to drag the watercraft up the angle of the deck.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Nice! I have been considering building a trailer like this for the exact same reasons.:smokin:

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Oh okay....hat makes more sense. Haveing the light stuff (spyder, pwc, etc...) with the jeep under sounds like a decent plan. How much clearance will the jeep have? and how high will the upper deck be?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh okay....hat makes more sense. Haveing the light stuff (spyder, pwc, etc...) with the jeep under sounds like a decent plan. How much clearance will the jeep have? and how high will the upper deck be?
Well there will be 7' clearance under the top deck, the full length of the trailer. We figure that you could put a quad on the top deck and still be far under 14' height, but we intend for all wheeled toys to stay on the bottom deck. Mostly just pwc on top, with maybe things like fuel cans and camping gear on top.

There will be plenty of clearance for the jeep, as its just a rubicon with no lift and 32" tires.

We pulled a tape on my jeep and we figured that if we let the air out of the tires my jeep would just barely fit under the rack. My jeep is a YJ with 4" lift and 36" iroks.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
6,261 Posts
Good stuff....can't wait to see some more pics...

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Probably because the Diesel pusher could be 40 ft long, with a 40 ft traileer behind it, that's a lot of rig to get in and out of places

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Not to be a dick.... but why not just buy a longer trailer?
Well there's this:

Probably because the Diesel pusher could be 40 ft long, with a 40 ft traileer behind it, that's a lot of rig to get in and out of places
And the fact that most states limit you to 65' overall length. A 22 ft deck works out to a 26' trailer. Put that behind the 40' MH, and he's already 1' over the limit, close enough to not draw any unwanted attention. A 40' flat would come in at a total of 84'; a sure recipie for a ticket and possible impound.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Length is the exact reason for not just doing a longer trailer. My dad is debating now getting a toterhome to pull this setup. The RV has to double for the place we go camping, and some of those places a 35' motorhome is too much to navigate through. So shorther is better all around.

And updates, we've been really busy with other projects, but we did have the rear uprite/guide laser cut with a groove and the roller bushings turned to run inside that tube. I am on my way to pick up a load of steel.

We also picked up the upper decking plate. We're using combination of 11ga tread plate and walkway material like you would see on catwalks. I will try and get a picture of it later today, but the shit was like $700 bucks for 40 feet of it.:eek:

We go to thinking and decided to scratch the hydraulic lift for a winch type setup. We ordered up a warn vr8000 winch. I still have to burn out a mount plate for it on the CNC table, but I think this week I'm going to try and get it done.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did some work today on the trailer. Doesn't seem like much but it was pretty much a full 9 hours work on the trailer.

Burned out a 3/8ths winch plate, Bent my press brake. The two bends are 8" of 3/8ths.

Here is the warn winch we're planning to use as the hoist. Its a VR8000, different from our normal winches on our other trailers, we'll see how it works out.

This is a test mock up of the deck hinge. The hinges will be made up of double sheared 3/8ths plate, with 4 sets of a hangers across the bulkhead tube. The bolt going through the plates is 3/4" grade 8.

Here is the roller guide I guess you would call it. The grove is 7/8ths with an inner roller, inside the tube. There will also be a load bearing stanchion at the rear. The groved tube is just basically a guide for the deck. We just ran out of tubing.

Just test fitting things. This angle is actually steeper than it will be once finished.

Upper Deck Hinges

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
looks pretty cool. I'm eager to see how it turns out. Stacker trailers always seemed the way to go for ease of pulling and tight spaces.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I can say I'm totally over this project, but it must be finished. I'm hoping to finish the fab work by this weekend and roll it out of the shop, but we'll see.

We decided to scrap the winch idea (score for me because my dad gave it to me for my jeep) We're back to the hydraulic setup but its going to be a hydro/cable setup like you would see on a car hoist.

I finished the cross members for the upper deck, I just need to cut the plate to deck it with.. We built ladders on both sides of the trailer at the rear, now I hope to wrap up the hydraulics in the next day or so and get to building the tilt deck part of it.. Here's some pictures of where we are now.

The rams still need a few more brackets built yet.

This picture was just a test to see if the cable system would work like I thought it would.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts