Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a 2x5 rectangular frame for my Project Blazer. Anyway, I want to make the framerails a little closer than stock but run into the problem of the t-case not fitting between the rails when it's clocked up. Then a buddy mentioned setting the entire drivetrain in off centered by a couple of inches. Anyone have any opinion on this? Just wondering if there is something I may be overlooking and not thinking of. It would probably be about 2-4 inches to the drives side if I do it.

Any help or advice would be really helpfull.:D

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
My engine/tranny/transfer are all 4" to the passenger side in my buggy. Works nice, gets me extra room on the driver's side (left side front diff) and a narrower belly.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You should see the stuff that's going on with the new moon buggies. For strictily off-road use, it works fine as long as it isn't binding. On the road, you might wear out u-joints a bit faster than normal, but as long as the angle isn't too severe and they are close to opposite each other they should work fine with a regular driveshaft.

However, this setup would in theory play hell on a CV driveshaft at highway speeds due to the unmatched angles. You'd have nothing canceling out the sideways angle of the pinion u-joint (unless you offset the pumpkin to match the t-case output, which I assume you're not planning on doing) and serious vibration would occur. Stick with a classic single u-joint on each end and it should work fine so long as the angles aren't too exaggerated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen the shit that goes on with the moonbuggies and a lot of the other comp bubbies and it just amazes me.

I do run a CV shaft from HAD, but didn't think of the side to side angle of the u-joint. I don't plan on running this on the street for long periods but it may run on the street for short distances. I don't plan on moving the diff over so that may be a problem.

Another problem that was brought up was the weight distribution. With my fat ass on the drivers side and the engine pushed over to the drivers side, would that royally fuck me up?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't think 4 inches at that height in the truck will make or break you.... it will be noticable, but I think you will be ok. The higher you go with the driveline, the more pronounced the difference will be. If you're really worried about it, you can take some steps to counter the weight by moving stuff (battery, fuel tank, etc.) over to the other side of the truck to even things out. Think of the difference it makes having a 200 lb. passenger in your truck while wheeling vs driving alone, and realize it will be far less severe of a change than that.

As a sidenote - they offset the BB chrysler engines in the late 60's barracudas 2.5" or so to the passengers side from the factory to clear the steering shaft.... and over the years many other vehicles have come from the factory with offset drivelines to varying degrees. Just to put things in perspective a bit.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just mocked up the t-case between the framerails and it will only be about 1.75" off centered. SO that is not much at all. I thought it was going to be more than that.:shaking:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts