Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We're talking GMC 3500 d-max/allison, crew cab, SLT, versus Dodge 3500 Cummins HO (undecided tranny), laramie...

both 4x4, leather, loaded up...

The GMC has the nicer interior, by far (with the buckets)... and I think the audio system is a bit better IMO...

Why didn't Dodge put 4 REAL doors in??

The IFS is a smoother ride... the SA in the dodge is stronger though...

But the cummins is gonna last and last...

The pricing is within 2k, so that's not a big deal...

The rig will be used for a D/D shop truck, but also to haul a big goose with 2-3 rigs on it.

experiences would be most appreciated... ignorant brand loyality will NOT be.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think you can only order the RAM 3500 cummins HO with the 6 speed only. I may be wrong but I am sure that I read that a few places. So if the automatic tranny was something that you wanted then it would probably be the GMC. They are both nice trucks. The only thing I can really speak to is the durability of the cummins motor. My cummins has over 200K hard miles and it runs just as good as the day we picked it up.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can now get the HO motor with the new 4-speed auto tranny.. D-C has even authorized its use with an exhaust brake...

·
Vendor
1,341 Posts
I drive a 02 Ram Cummins HO 6spd 2500. If you are going with an auto or have to haul more than two adults I would go with the GM, If you are going stick and don't need the REAL crew cab then I would go Dodge. My next truck will be a Ford 350 Crew cab stick because my family is growing.

Scott

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I bought a 02 Dodge 3500 SLT+, and it was about 5K cheaper than the GM Dmax and 3K cheaper than the Ford PS. Also Dodge has a 7/70 powertrain warrenty( includes the auto tranny), GM and Ford were 3/36. I think the Dmax/allison is a sweet combo, but the IFS is crap. I would look at the Ford SD also, better chassis than GM or Dodge in my opinion, the 7.3 is a pretty sweet puller also.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have a 2002 Dodge CTD HO
and love it..It was about 5K less the the GMC. I didnt like the IFS in the GMC or the seats. I'm a big buy 6'2" 300lbs and the dode was the most rommy and comfy. I like the bis ass arm rest in the dodge. The seat goes all the way to the door. In the ford the seat stops a few inches away from the doors and I had a tendency to fall out the seat with my left leg. The cummins is awsome. The non HO motors respond better to engine upgrades so it really only depends on which tranny you want. Add a Fueling box(computer chip)Edge Product to a non Ho and it will make more power then an HO with the same fueling box.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The HO cummins is now available with the new 5 speed auto.
I would take the Cummins over the D max any day...
I bought a 2500 HO with 6 spd just before thanksgiving and I love it. To say it's not a crew cab, means you haven't sat in the back of one. I'm 6'5" (36" inseam)and can sit in the back, with the front seat all the way back. my knees just touch the seatback.
with the Cummins your getting a med duty engine in a light duty truck, it's detuned from the factory to about half of what it's capable of.
Durability heard of any Dmaxs going 1,000,000 miles without a rebuild?
I love the solid front axle, steering is great, handles like a sports car :D

for the ford guy above, the 7.3 is done... 6.0 now. and on the dyno it's not doing anywhere near the Ford claimed numbers

·
Vendor
1,341 Posts
robobx,
I too love my Ram with the HO Cummins 6spd. I have however sat in the back of an 03 Quad Cab Ram and the back of a 03 Ford SD Crew Cab and the Ford has more room, plain and simple. As for the new automatic behind the HO, it is a 4spd not a five. Here it is off of the Dodge website.
48RE Four-Speed Automatic Transmission

Scott

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
It's been my personal experience that the IFS GM trucks really do a nice job of towing compared to a SFA Dodge. They just seem to handle pavement irregularities with a lot less "excitement", which means a lot to me when I'm towing. That, plus you are more comfortable in the GM truck (I've not checked the '03 Dodge interior). So, were it me, I'd lean toward the GMC - and yes, I am GM loyal, so take that for what it's worth ;)

TEX

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Check out that rear seat!

My whole reason for the 2500HD Crew Cab was rear seat area. Kids are getting bigger and will be 6' in no time (oldest is 12, and about 5'10" now).

So figure out how often you'll need folks in the rear seat. I don't mind the Dodge for 10-15 minute drives (I'm 6'2" 275#), but not sitting back there for a 6 hour road trip. :D

Irony... Bought the bucket seats/console on my truck. Moved in with the fiancee a few months later... and really need something with SIX seatbelts. :)

Just FYI.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's alot of yungin's for 6 seat belts!

I hear ya on the back seat... I'm 6', and sitting in the Dodge was just OK for me.. Normally, the only time the rear seats will have people in them, is on trips that will take 5 hours or more, like when we load up the goose and go to TN.

OTOH, who's making the fawking payments? ME. So I'm nice enough to whoever's gonna sit there not to consider an extended cab GM, but I'm more concerned about MY butt... and those 100 way optional power seats in the GMC fit me very nicely...

Plus, on a $40k truck, I don't want to HAVE to screw with the stereo much, and the Bose system in the GMC actually has some low end to it! (must be a first for Bose) IIRC, there's a subwoofer in there if you get the buckets.

If GM would just throw a Cummins in a 3500, this would be a no-brainer! Dammit!

·
Registered
279 Posts
wheatfield said:
robobx,
I too love my Ram with the HO Cummins 6spd. I have however sat in the back of an 03 Quad Cab Ram and the back of a 03 Ford SD Crew Cab and the Ford has more room, plain and simple. As for the new automatic behind the HO, it is a 4spd not a five. Here it is off of the Dodge website.
48RE Four-Speed Automatic Transmission

Scott
I'm not saying the ford isn't bigger, but the dodge is comfortable enough for me:)
I don't know why I said the new auto is a 5 speed knew it was a 4 speed...damn ford commercials:(

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Eskimo said:
That's alot of yungin's for 6 seat belts!
Yep, four kids in total (12, 12, 10, & 7). We piled everyone into the truck for the ride to the airport... not fun.

I really need a motorhome with a bathroom for Pam and the youngest (Kate is 7)... the "boys" are fine with road side pit stops (not too many places to stop in West Texas)... :)

I agree, would be nice to see a Cummins Chevy. :) As to the Duramax... there are some with over 400,000 miles on them and no problems. One fellow runs four of them with tripple car haulers. Three crews on one vehicle, so it is constantly being driven. I think it was sold with 480,000 miles. :eek:

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh yeah, I remember that guy from the diesel page... can't remember his username there, but he has three F450's and 3 d-maxes if I recall?

·
Registered
264 Posts
i peronally prefer the d-max but the cummins is an awsome puller not to mention has been around(for the most part) for a long time. I do hate the ifs crap in my chevy and that is why i am gonna straight axle it in about a year (or sooner) I have 33s on my truck with no lift but wish they would have made 410s available like the dodge and p.s. but thats okay i will probally go 456 488s with 37s when i do the sfa conversion. No matter which truck you get it will get the job done fairly effortless now days. but i do love my d-max but my friends are happy with there fords and dodges as well. Too each his or her own

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
see, that's just it for me. I've decided on the GMC.. the interior is soooo much nicer, the seats.. OH, THE SEATS! fit me like a glove. Dare I say, the Cummins was quiter?

But why swap a straight axle under it? Are you gonna wheel it hard enough so that a SAS becomes worthwhile?

For me, it's all about comfort... with my REAL 4x4 on the trailer, so I welcome the ride comfort the IFS affords...

But that's just me, and my road truck.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
If you are gonna pull a long goose, be sure you don't go over the total length combined for truck and trailer. It varies from state to state, but 65' is a good guess. My goose was legal behind the standard cab and illegal behind my crew cab. I got busted for being over length and it cost me a lot of money, and I had to shorten the trailer.
As far as the brand loyalty goes...that's gotta be tough for someone who can afford somthing new! For once it's good to be poor!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Combined length.. hmmm.. Haven't been able to find anything on that, but I'll check it out. A 30' Goose without dovetail, behind a long bed crew cab, works out to 55' total, so I think I'll be OK.. But thanks for the heads up!

As for being poor, I am too.. this is going to be a shop asset, and thanks to some killer tax breaks for vehicles over 6000#, and used more than 50% for business, the new truck will cost around the same as a well-used one!

EDIT: You're right, 65' overall length, UNLESS, your'e hauling automobiles.. then it's up to 52' from the point of attachment (the ball) to the centerline of the trailer axles. That would be one LONG ass trailer to violate that! On a 40' goose from BigTex, that measurement is only 35'...

·
Registered
264 Posts
i am still gonna have ride good( soft springs and swaybars) and dont plan on wheeling it per say, besides a couple of snow runs when i dont feel like towing, just get in truck and go. And at the sand dunes with truck,camper, and trailer sometimes you have to wheel it to get out there. The main thing is i dont want another ifs lift just for the fact when towing using weight distribution bars you transfer alot of weitht on the front of truck and you might get some funny tire ware and go thru more front end parts. And i just want my truck to be a little different than a bolt on RCD or what have you. And Other than the Off road Unlimited kit i have all of the parts to do it. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds good man!

the extent of the 4-wheeling I'll see is the dirt parking area at the trailhead.

4wd is wanted for obvious reasons.. (snow, muddy parking area with the trailer, etc...

I'd hate to think of bring a dually on the trails.. those fenders would be goners.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts