Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? Is it worth going to dual cases or is the Marlin Low gear kit enough for running 35's and 4.10's ? The low gear kit is 4.7 :1 and seems like alot less work to do than going dual cases which involves adaptor, another tcase, crossmember relocation and driveshaft mods? I dont mind doing the work as long as it s worth it, how much better is the dual case compared to a single t-case with low gear?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well that all depends on what your gonna do with it. Dual cases you've got 2.28x2.28=5.19, the gears 4.0,4.37,5.0....so do you always want low low or will you want just a single low work where you wheel ?
Your right on as far as mods go, for simplicitys sake the gears gets my vote, but if mods are something you do and you dont mind then the dual case is the way to go.

Where do you wanna go ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do quiet a bit of mods so I'm ok in that department. As for my truck, it's not my daily driver but it does see the street because it gets driven to the trails. As of now I have been playing on rocks with the stock 2.28 t-case and 4.10's so going with a low gear kit has got to be a hell of alot better than what I've got now even though it wont be as geared as a dual case setup. The biggest tire i'll be using will be a 35 for now..

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I have both, but before I did I really missed the stock low range when I wanted it. 4.7:1 low is really slow.
Especially with the 4:10 axle gears I think you would really miss the 2.28:1. If I were to do it again, I would have gone dual cases first, then the 4.7s.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I run 4.88's in the diffs, 33's and put a 4.0:1 in my t-case and like it. I do miss the having low (vs. low low) from time to time, but it is worlds better than having just low. IMO a lower than stock gear set is good, duals are better.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
i live in michigan, and i ran 4.7:1 gears for about a year. It was great offroad, i was only about 10:1 lower then my friend with dual cases. I ended up trading my geared case to a friend for a dual case adapter. I live the dual cases for the trails i run, mostly because occasionally i run into mud and the low low range just does not like mud, with the duals i can run normal low range through that part of the trail.

so if you are not wheeling only rocks, i would go dual cases.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'll say upfront that I am a complete newb to Toys, but all this talk about the gearsets being too low for the mud, why cant you just shift to a higher gear? Or am I completely missing something/

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I ran the 4.7 gears in my Toy for years, and finally went dual cases a year ago. I prefer the versatility of the dual cases. If I did it again I'd have done the dual cases first. Plus you get the option of 2low.

·
Registered
413 Posts
No one has talked about the advantage of having a longer front drive shaft with the duals. This is a big plus especially if you are running big lift.

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
Hillbilly said:
I'll say upfront that I am a complete newb to Toys, but all this talk about the gearsets being too low for the mud, why cant you just shift to a higher gear? Or am I completely missing something/
because high range is to high with a 4cyl.. and low range (with 4.7 case) is to low.

·
Registered
171 Posts
id go with dual cases for a few reasons:
a- Dual cases affect your crawl ratio alot more then just getting new t-case gears (in most cases)
b- Dual cases will give you more options ie. 4l 4h 2l 2h. And i believe that there is a new design on the market that alows for front hight or front low which could be rather fun at times
c- Dual cases will give you more options for the future. Say you want to go bigger tires well then you can replace the gears in one of your cases or even both to make your crawl ratio EVEN BETTER.
Dual cases all the way.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I'd go with a dual case setup. Sometimes it nice to have the stock low range gears. Two stock 2.28 gear sets make for a little lower low range than just a 4.7 gear set.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Like Chris said and everyone else. Go Duals, then Gear set. Thats what I did and I'm not regretting it.

With duals you have more options 1:1, 1:2.28 , 1:2.28x2.28 or 1:5.20

With Gears only gets you 1:1 & 1:4.7ish

Also the driveshaft change is really nice and not to expensive if you square shaft the front now.

It also gives you a chance to see if your type of wheeling really demands the cost of dual cases with a gear set or as I think Marlin calls it "the Ultimate Setup".

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have the 4.7 to 1 gear set in my 85 truck w/ 5.29's in the diffs. I went with this set up because first of all I already did my lift, I had my drive shafts already made to fit including a custom shaft from Tom Woods (which was pricey) and had spares made, bought a budbuilt cross member (single case), have a bench seat, did not want to cut a hole in the floor. The result of one case geared 4.7 to 1 is there in No selection. Don't get me wong it crawls great, but (already stated above) on some of the faster parts of the trail it sucks to be in 4 low and 4 high is too fast (epecially if you pinion angle is not at the desired position). The end result: After having it built for a year I have started looking for bucket seats and need to find another t- case, t- case adapter, cross member, have my D shafts properly adjusted to size and I am no longer afraid of the sawzal. I am in no rush to do any of this because it still wheels fine but eventually I will go to dual cases. The whole point is I already had JUST spent the money on the other stuff and thats why I went to the single geared case.

So go with the Dual cases, unless you are in my (then) situation and upgrade later. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Why dont you just upshift if 4.7 is too low.
Stock range gives you (approximately).
9:1 out of case in 1st, 5:1 in 2nd, 3:1 in 3rd, 2.28:1 in 4th, 1.75:1 in 5th
with 4.7:1 you get
18.4:1, 10:1, 6.5:1, 4.7:1, 4:1
with duals you get the same as stock plus a little lower than 4.7s
20:1, 11.1:1, 7.2:1 ,5.2:1 ,5:1, 4.4:1 ,3:1, 2.28:1 and 1.75:1
if ya kinda slim down the dual case range and take out some of the ones that are close you basically get: (i cant see changing gears for a .5 change)
20:1, 11:1, 7:1, 5:1, 3:1, 2.28:1, 1.75:1
eliminating the ones that are higher than first gear in hi range (4:1)
you have with 4.7s
18.4:1, 10:1, 6.5:1, 4.7:1
with duals
20:1, 11:1, 7:1, 5:1
about the same ratios (duals has a little more range in the 5:1 area, but this is just over 1st gear high range, so it shouldnt be that big of a deal)
I dont see the real benifit of having duals over the 4.7s... unless you have 4.7 in a rear case, which changes everything.
And with the money saved from just doing gears and not having to buy new shafts, etc you could get a twin stick and have 2lo....
I do agree that the idea of having all the levers in the cab is cool though.
(All numbers are approx and any errors are your fault... lol)

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i use the low range of the front box for 2wd low on the sierra passes when camping in the summer (hwy4 and 108), even a built 22re is gutless at 10000feet loaded with the family and gear on steep, twisty grades

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
When I got the single gear drive case for the V-6 with 4:70's Marlin had put an relocating plate on the T-case shifter so you could use the stock boot. When I put the dual cases in I had a 60/40 bench seat and in the stock location the 2nd shifter would have come up under the seat. So I put the same relocating plate on the second shifter because I could not afford bucket seats at the time. I had this shifter on even after I put bucket seats in there until I went to twin sticks on the rear case. Here is a rough drawing of what I am talking about.

With the single case I did not have to do anything to the d-shafts until I did the SAS then I had a long slip d-shaft made.!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
zags said:
I have both, but before I did I really missed the stock low range when I wanted it. 4.7:1 low is really slow.
Virtually everyone whose run just a gearset will tell you this, including me. Most of the people who went straight to duals will tell you it probably doesn't matter, and they'll both work well. There's a little lesson tucked in there. Go duals first.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts