Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 JK willys addition. I am wanting to swap out front Dana 30 with a dana 44. Would like to find a used one and build. I know a Rubicon 44 is a direct swap but feel like i could build one stout for the price of a rubi 44. What do i need to look for? wanting to run a 4.88. will run a truss kit with gussets. Which Dana 44 do i need to look for to get me as close as possible? I know i will have to grind off old brackets and weld up artec kit. Wanting something as wide as the stock dana 30. Thanks

·
P.B.A.
4,496 Posts
Kk stuff is pretty wide 65” iirc. So you could get a full width 67-69” and be in the neighborhood. Especially if you’ll run spacers on the rear which you’ll need to to match up bolt patterns.

The problems I see with your plan. Bolt patterns will be different. I’m not sure there’s an easy way to keep the vss sensors like on a one ton swap maybe artec has something now. Axle unjointed are 760/297 size vs jk has 1350. Smaller ring and pinion than jk 44. Even if you go high pinion jk has larger pinion which is stronger. And that’s a lot of fabrication just to gain just a stronger housing over jk rubicon. This may cost you more or the same as putting in a as 60 up front.

If your planning on 37’s or bigger 05+ superduty axles. Otherwise jk aftermarket 44 housing or 609 maybe?

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,203 Posts
Do was Beat95 says. Sit down and write out how much work is involved then price out the parts you’ll need for swapping a Dana 44 from a junkyard, and having one built and mailed to you. Compare a brand new Dana 44 to one sitting in a junk yard and be honest with yourself. Find one fully built with what you want and see how much people are asking for it to see what it’s worth if you want to upgrade later.

Not everyone needs a one ton front axle. It is 100% the same amount of work to swap a Dana 60 or a Dana 44. It’s just appealing to do things once instead of doing them twice.

Edit: if you want Dana 30 width you’re probably stuck with a custom housing. All so you can run 35s and still be worried about clearance and breaking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What size tires do you run and how do you drive? You'll be fine with a 44 front and back without a truss up to 37s if you don't beat the hell out of your jeep. Truss it and get some chromoly shafts if you do. If you go larger, upgrade to 1 tons. The good news for you is you have a jeep, so they make truss kits that have all mounts exactly where they need to be and you don't have to do much figur'n. If you want to save money, you can regear the axle yourself for about $300 + the cost of a r+p and new bearings and seals.
Really comes down to what you want to do with it and how much money/time are you prepared to spend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey just a heads up a 78 ford 1/2 ton hp44 is 65" wide and reasonably cheap if you can find one but then you'd need brackets, gears, and re-drilled hubs to make it all work. However you will gain manual hubs if that is something that appeals to you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What size tires do you run and how do you drive? You'll be fine with a 44 front and back without a truss up to 37s if you don't beat the hell out of your jeep. Truss it and get some chromoly shafts if you do. If you go larger, upgrade to 1 tons. The good news for you is you have a jeep, so they make truss kits that have all mounts exactly where they need to be and you don't have to do much figur'n. If you want to save money, you can regear the axle yourself for about $300 + the cost of a r+p and new bearings and seals.
Really comes down to what you want to do with it and how much money/time are you prepared to spend.
You really shouldn't be giving people advice, after all you told a guy with a full size rig to run a spartan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You really shouldn't be giving people advice, after all you told a guy with a full size rig to run a spartan.
And how exactly does me giving that bit of advice invalidate my advice here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts