Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions my setup (still under construction)I know I'll hear the good, bad and the ugly. So here goes.
1985 sammy steel top
1988 VW turbo diesel Intercooled (built my own adapter)
1987 sammy tranny
1985 t-case
1984 SJ410 frt+rr housings With 4.11's welded rear (hybrid kik housings soon)
custom shakle reversal
2"body lift
33 super swampers (here next week)
There are no rocks here so larger tires and lots of flex are not needed. Fire away :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bodylift is to fit the engine and it is welded on

·
Registered
600 Posts
forget the turbo diesel and the body lift get t case gears and spring it over:flipoff2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The engine stays too much into it, the bodylift stays because of the engine. It will be spoa this fall, reversal will be gone.I have to get it runnig soon (getting a little horny to get going).Keep them coming.:bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :)

Oh ya gas is $3.60CDN a gallon

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
get some axles, you are going to blow that zuk stuff to pieces. mike

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Dude i would ditch the body lift and cut the body to fit then SPOA on some 44's or toy's! :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Go with a 31-inch tire.
Your axles aren't going to take pounding with 33s

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
you are going to need biger axels.just my 02. worth the rest sound cool.but you gota have lots of pictures:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I think he has two rigs, one with a bad ecm that went carb, and diesel.
I, of course, applaud the diesel.
I also would say you may be fine with the 33's given your not doing rocks. I am staying with the stock axles untill they prove me wrong - so far, so good. What do the Hybrig Kick axles provide - are they the ones with the D44 outers up front? They would do ya'.
The 33's will help the highway gearing - a Toyota t-case would help even more. You will find the highway gears a bit low.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 91 sammy (daily driver) it now has the carb.My 85 is project sammy.I am going to run what I got untill it breaks.:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Kac said:
I have a 91 sammy (daily driver) it now has the carb.My 85 is project sammy.I am going to run what I got untill it breaks.:D
It would have already broke if you would do more then just trail ride. Let us know when you start you do some real wheeling:flipoff2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most every thing that I used I had lying around . I' ll probably end up with some toy axles( starting to look now),what are the best years?I really appreciate all your comments. Whats wrong with using a body lift?:confused:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I think it gets bad mouthed more than needed, myself. Whatever keeps your overall weight lowest, I say. My Diesel install required a minimum 3" lift, with lowered bumpstops to go with it. So, you moved the motor up instead. Different comprimises. Just hack the fender wells for more room before you lift much more, I would think. My next move will be big fenderwells, I would like to run 35's to get the rpms lower on the highway. The 1.9 td gets about 25 mpg at 65-70 mph, mostly due to running such high rpm, I believe. I have way more power than I need - I would like to need to drop to 4th for steep hills perhaps. Still expecting,hoping for a Toyota plate from Perry, who is busy over at greasel.com lately.
deepmud

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joe Ray, It still is being built so I haven't run it yet. There are no rocks here and last year no mud,it was very dry. The parts are here so I used them. I had to start some where and this was the cheapest for me. Keep them coming.:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deepmud, since I built my own adapter I left the tranny where it was and built my mounts around that. I would rather build it than buy it,plus Keltec stopped making it.

:)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm running Zuk axles with 34" swampers a locked rear and 6:1 rockhopper and haven't broken any axles etc. Granted I'm driving mainly muddy slippery tracks not much rock at all but if you treat em nice they can survive

(I have had the 34s, locker and 4;1 in for about 2.5 years and the 6:1 in for about a week)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts