Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
das_jeepinator said:
if you were spelling "404 not found" thats some damn fine welding for a first time :flipoff2:

fix your links and I'm sure everyone will be happy to critique your welding capability everyone can improve it's a more you do it the better you get when welding:)
Did you try since I fixed the links?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
links good now. Not bad I guess for a first weld. Kinda looks like you need to turn up the amps there, and steady with the hands. Is that with flux core?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It was done with a 90 amp MIG welder using Flux-core wire. Both are butt joints, one is 1/8"-1/8" and the other is 1/8"-3/16". What is a common wire speed with 70-90 amps? I had it set around 3(out of 10) and the welder was on #3 and 4(out of 4). Thanks for the input.

EDIT: I was using a 25' 14ga ext. cord rated for 15 amps and the manual recommends a max of 25' but a min of 12ga...so maybe I'm that's causing a lack of penetration.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
need more heat and work on consistancy in your weld weave. adjust the feed until the weld sizzles like bacon frying

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
jrussell said:

Did you try since I fixed the links?
you must have been posting this as I made my post

as soon as I'm done I will look myself

edit starts here: looks good for a first try gotta agree with everyone else so far turn the heat up and work on your weave
like I said before the more you do it the better ya get :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
florida4x4 said:
need more heat and work on consistancy in your weld weave. adjust the feed until the weld sizzles like bacon frying
Does decreasing the wire speed decrease heat, or will I get more penetration by turning down the wire speed and going slower? Will moving the nozzle closer increase heat also? I didn't want to keep it too close for fear of clogging and grounding the nozzle from all the spatter.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
ahhh flux core. don't angle the tip too much and drag the tip a little it helps shield it a little more. for your speed,turn it up(use a peice of like material scrap) until it pushes the tip back at you,then slowly turn down until you hear the bacon sizzle:D . with some practice you will be able to do very well with a flux machine.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
larryboy said:
drag the tip a little it helps shield it a little more.
That makes sense, but will it clog the nozzle easier? You mean to actually touch and drag the nozzle on the workpiece?

Thanks a lot guys, your input has been very helpful!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Don't quit your day job :D :D

Get a side (profile shot) of the weld so we can see the penetration.

Stress test it and see how it holds up - (smash it with a hammer!)

Ditch the extension cord - it will only cause you grief with a 110V Mig welder.

Get the gas kit if it's an option for your welder.

But really not bad for a first weld - just keep welding and it gets better.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
jrussell said:

That makes sense, but will it clog the nozzle easier? You mean to actually touch and drag the nozzle on the workpiece?

Thanks a lot guys, your input has been very helpful!
yes,drag it a little at an angle.after a pass just tap it on the side of what you are working on to knock the buildup out of the nozzle.

·
Registered
420 Posts
hey looks good, listen to the wire when welding when it gets smooth you got it you will no if your getting penitration when your welding make little tight circles and watch the key hole on the weld it tells you when your moving to fast or slow. :D

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Lay off the caffeine and learn to weave. Try moving along the butt a bit faster too. Overall, it looks like a good start.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts