Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the better filtering system for a 78 2F in dusty conditions? I'm running it in a 66FJ40. I have an oil bath air filter that I can fit up,(already have the brackets in place) stock 78 style air box or could go to a k&n type system. I've also thought of a snorkel just to keep the intake up high and out of most of the dust...they look cool too! Pro's and con's on breathability vs filtering capability? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,738 Posts
I would NOT run a K&N "filter".. They have been proven to not filter as good as a paper element, and my personal experience bears this out as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eskimo said:
I would NOT run a K&N "filter".. They have been proven to not filter as good as a paper element, and my personal experience bears this out as well.
It seems I have heard this before also...thanks for the reminder! I do run one on my Taco and it really let that 4 cyl breathe better. It doesn't see trails, but some dusty conditions...time will tell. I've heard running them a bit on the dirty side helps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
peesalot said:
I would do a snorkel with air box on top and this gives you 2 filters ,...
Wondering if anybody runs this way and how much, if anyperformance is lost due to breathing restrictions. Does snorkel sell the top air box? Any ideas on fabbing one?
thanks for the suggestion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,640 Posts
Amanda , I forget who sells em but I saw it installed on Mudraks 45 with stock engine and he mated the snorkel to factory air cleaner. About 500 I think for whole set up and AFAIK there is no loss of power...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
don't use k&n's, my truck ran like sh*t with it on, much better with a paper element. I needed to get some cooler air into my truck, so I pulled a jyard setup and modified it with longer hose to pull air from the front corner of my engine bay instead of right above the hot headers, helped.

Noah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
the answer is the biggest paper filter element you can make a housing for, with a snorkel leading to it capped by a cyclonic air cleaner at the snorkel entrance.

is this overkill? maybe, but most effective for the money. oil bath is not good, don't bother.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
theSherpa said:
the answer is the biggest paper filter element you can make a housing for, with a snorkel leading to it capped by a cyclonic air cleaner at the snorkel entrance.

is this overkill? maybe, but most effective for the money. oil bath is not good, don't bother.
Along this line of thought, I also have an airbox from about a 74 I think that looks like the oil bath but uses a paper element. Seems like it orients the intake further forward(for cooler air like Guppie said) than the stock 78 arrangement but I'm not sure if the element is actually bigger in volume or not. With a snorkel it may not matter.
I've seen these cyclonic filters on the truck shows. Does snorkel sell them? Do they actually pump air or are they just free spinning?
thanks for the ideas! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
The K&Ns flow well because the filter media is cotton gauze. Put it under a magnifying glass and you'll see large gaps between the unevenly "knit" gauze. These gaps let more dirt pass than reasonably clean paper or foam filter elements. The gaps also move more air which usually improves performance at the expense of cleanliness.

As you must well know, Toyota engines have great longevity. FWIW, I'd replace that K&N filter with a quality paper filter immediately since the K&N filter is just letting more dirt into the cylinders than quality paper/foam elements would allow. If left alone, that extra, and perhaps larger consistency, daily dirt will abnormally increase wear and tear over time. NAPA/Wix make good paper filters. So does Toyota oem replacement. Other good brands exist. Avoid Fram/Pennsoil and other cheapies. Quality foam filters are a viable option. A search on "K&N filter" in Gen 4x4 should bring up threads that hashed all this already.

If you don't go snorkel, you can extend the '78 AC housing horn to the gap between the bib and the hood to catch cool air. IIRC, some late '70s and the '80s FJ40s came with extentions that connected the AC housing horn to the bib with a horizontal slit opening to catch the air coming inbetween the bib & hood. I've been wanting to pick up such an extention one day for my '77 40.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4x4Poet said:
The K&Ns flow well because the filter media is cotton gauze. Put it under a magnifying glass and you'll see large gaps between the unevenly "knit" gauze. These gaps let more dirt pass than reasonably clean paper or foam filter elements. The gaps also move more air which usually improves performance at the expense of cleanliness.

As you must well know, Toyota engines have great longevity. FWIW, I'd replace that K&N filter with a quality paper filter immediately since the K&N filter is just letting more dirt into the cylinders than quality paper/foam elements would allow. If left alone, that extra, and perhaps larger consistency, daily dirt will abnormally increase wear and tear over time. NAPA/Wix make good paper filters. So does Toyota oem replacement. Other good brands exist. Avoid Fram/Pennsoil and other cheapies. Quality foam filters are a viable option. A search on "K&N filter" in Gen 4x4 should bring up threads that hashed all this already.

If you don't go snorkel, you can extend the '78 AC housing horn to the gap between the bib and the hood to catch cool air. IIRC, some late '70s and the '80s FJ40s came with extentions that connected the AC housing horn to the bib with a horizontal slit opening to catch the air coming inbetween the bib & hood. I've been wanting to pick up such an extention one day for my '77 40.
I haven't seen any paper elements that will fit a K7N tube thingy. Any suggestions appreciated. I have thought about foam filters as they work great on dirt bikes and quads. Is there a reason they're not used in automotive applications? Maybe they restrict air too much for larger engines? I'll look into the extension idea...may be a good way to go untill the $$ is available for a snorkel. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
i also wanted to find paper cone filters to fit like the K&N style tube. i think amsoil has foam filters like you mentioned. some like 'em, some don't. i understand that they filter better than a K&N, but don't have any tech or #'s to back that up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
When K&Ns were *discussed* (or is that dis'd and cuss'd?) on either Gen4x4 or Chevy talk, I believe I recall someone mentioning that K&N purposely designs their airbox/tube setups to only accept their specially sized filters. A sore spot for folks that want to keep the great airflow tube with coldair box but want to use another filter brand. I never saw or heard of a solution. Maybe one is out there. Amsoil does make some great foam filters. Maybe Green filters?

Another option is to add a K&N foam surround outer filter. I believe that the K&N oil impregnated cotton gauze filter with a foam surround filter will do a good job filtering. In fact, somewhere on Amsoil's site they rhetorically ask why K&N sells foam outer filters if their cotton gauze filters are the end all, be all in filters. Hehe. I'd like to try one of Amsoil's foam filters if only because of that crack on K&N.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Amanda said:
Along this line of thought, I also have an airbox from about a 74 I think that looks like the oil bath but uses a paper element. Seems like it orients the intake further forward(for cooler air like Guppie said) than the stock 78 arrangement but I'm not sure if the element is actually bigger in volume or not. With a snorkel it may not matter.
I've seen these cyclonic filters on the truck shows. Does snorkel sell them? Do they actually pump air or are they just free spinning?
thanks for the ideas! :)
The snorkles are made by TJM Airtec or ARB Safari Snorkles.

This company makes a range of products to fab your own snorkle.
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/air/index.html

The thingys on top that spin around are blown around by the incoming air and use the centifical force to throw the heavier particles to outside.
Generally snorkles are mainly for deep fording but do offer cleaner cooler air provided your not in a convoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
That Donaldson site is great. I've been meaning to search for such a company so I could piece together a cold air set up. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, my shop is an Amsoil dealer...I'll check into their filters(now why didn't I think of that? duuh) We get their oil and such cheaper than the auto parts stores due to being a "farm". If I learn something good, I'll certainly post the info. Thanks again for all the good ideas...the Donaldson site IS great too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
K&N's no good?
I live in a dust bowl (rural Saskatchewan) and have been running one for 10 years or so.
I never had any problems yet (over 300 000 kms) but maybe my engine is on borrowed time now........... :eek:
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top