Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Those trusses look fine and price aint bad either, i'd go with that if space above the diff is of no concern.
3/8" should be plenty if you decide to fab your own. I like to make templates/mock ups out of masonite to give me a good idea of how it'll turn out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have BTF truss for my rear Dana 44. I also like their 14 bolt truss system and how it ties into the pinion with a pinion guard.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
dennisuello said:
I have BTF truss for my rear Dana 44. I also like their 14 bolt truss system and how it ties into the pinion with a pinion guard.

Just thought I would point out that all of our 14 bolt trusses come with the pinion guard now. We started this a few months back. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
BlueTorch said:
Just thought I would point out that all of our 14 bolt trusses come with the pinion guard now. We started this a few months back. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan
I like the older style thay I got better...

:)

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Jason M said:
I like the older style thay I got better...

:)

The truss is exactly the same. If someone wants it without the pinion guard I can leave it off. Thanks for the biz. I am flying into Vegas in a couple weeks. I will be there for a night or two. Give me a yell. Got to play some hold em. I will be heading down to the Tin Bender Jambo. You going?

-Dan

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BlueTorch said:
The truss is exactly the same. If someone wants it without the pinion guard I can leave it off.
-Dan

I already have a Great Lake Offroad Cover and Pinion guard.
How much for just the flat plate welded up to go over the diff?
Is this strong enough to resist twisting forces without tying into the pinion yoke?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Right on, it just looks like the buckett off of a frontloader to me (fitting comparison of a cat and a 14 bolt I think)

You are very welcome, the 14 bolt truss has held up perfectly. As has the front upper link mount that you guys made me. Top notch stuff.

Give me a ring, I'll be here.
I'm heading to the Jambo on thurs night or Fri morning.
Got Backdoor and resolution to run on sat (with Scott from Rockstomper)

:D

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
beyer05 said:
I already have a Great Lake Offroad Cover and Pinion guard.
How much for just the flat plate welded up to go over the diff?
Is this strong enough to resist twisting forces without tying into the pinion yoke?
It needs to be tied in to either a diff cover of the pinion support.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Jason M said:
Right on, it just looks like the buckett off of a frontloader to me (fitting comparison of a cat and a 14 bolt I think)

You are very welcome, the 14 bolt truss has held up perfectly. As has the front upper link mount that you guys made me. Top notch stuff.

Give me a ring, I'll be here.
I'm heading to the Jambo on thurs night or Fri morning.
Got Backdoor and resolution to run on sat (with Scott from Rockstomper)

Cool. I am sending you a PM.

-Dan

·
Registered
25,432 Posts
I think Dan @ Bluetorch has always made Innovative Quality Products...

Ours is just a different approach to the same problem for the same solution. The Torsion box construction does the work to prevent twisting motion acheaved through torque input.

We avoid the system approach for affordability and make everything as a kit because if you are going to weld these to your axle tube you certainly have the skills required to put it together. From the same perspective, ours is 1.75" thick and very easily adjusted in height if you wish with a Plasma or Cutting torch for a truly custom application.

BTW, does it seem strange to you that so many creative types share the same first name?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
LOL

I do like the cabability to tie into the 14 bolt pinion housing. It is nice for people like me who can't weld for crap ;)

Tying into the Diff cover I am not a fan of. Not for any good reason other than I would think that the cover would leak easier. I am sure that with some of the new types of seals (lubelocker comes to mind) it is not an issue but it always just made me nervous.

I do not like messes....

the Dan's make cool stuff.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
"Axle Trusses

These will be available in a .375" model (rated up to 700hp) and a .25" model (rated to 475hp)."

WTF :confused: Thats the first time I've seen truss limits linked to the horsepower of the motor. Fawkin goofy if you ask me.

·
Registered
25,432 Posts
You are entitled an opinion......

We sell these to a great variety of user. And some of our users, particularly in the full sized class were concerned about very large HP and Torque input, we have been very conservative in our ratings. You don't just look at something and say, "it'll do", you manufacture them in a way you are sure it will be sufficient for the task at hand.

Notice the difference from .25 to .375", in a fully boxed configuration it can take just about anything you can throw at it. Now it you are running a stock 22re (nothing against Toys) without gearing or transfer upgrades use a piece of muffler pipe. If you really build something, really build it!

BTW, there is a first time for everything.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm a clueless SOB so forgive me for the stupid question but what does an axle truss have to do with horsepower? I was under the impression that axle trusses were meant to prevent an axle tube from bending which would be a function of vehicle weigh and placement of the springs on the tubes. Can you explain to me how horsepower bends axle tubes?

·
Registered
25,432 Posts
Its the Torque that comes with it......

And the axle twisting forces applied, we are talking about very high HP & Torque, they pretty much go hand in hand. When the inner axle twists, which they naturally do under load, the housing will bend and twist with the axle. The axle does this all day under normal torque and HP input. Under extreme use, the Truss helps the axle to twist shall we say, in a controlled manner. Please don't take this as any affront to your knowledge on these but look at a bent axle housing, they are almost always bent with a partial twist. Or a drag car that has spun its tubes. A couple of good examples of very high HP & Torque loads and the effect they can cause.:D

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am building one similar to the BTF truss for my 14ff. It uses 2x2x.25 tubing for the truss part, and some .375x6 plate for the pinion support. I am also using .375 plate for my link tabs as well.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
There are many great products out on the market today. It looks like the one that Gravel Maker has is a very nice product. That is a stout truss for sure. I think that it would be a fine truss as long as you tie in the diff. to it somehow to keep it from twisting around the tubes. And YES, the 14 bolt can and will twist with enough power and tire size. I personally went with the one from Blue Torch. It gives you a nice flat area to mount the upper link tabs too (included) and the front pinion guard/brace combo in awesome. If someone was worried about it hanging up on a rock then let me remind you that you own a right foot and there are companies that make 42's and 44's that are available to buy. Here are a couple pics of how mine turned out. The truss itself fits on like a glove. And the pinion guard works great. I'm running a 1410 yoke from High Angle, so I made a very small 1/8" deep by 3/4" wide notch on the inside hole of the pinion guard, and it slips right over without removing the pinion. (I can better explain and get pics of that if someone wants) The link tabs that are included in the kit from Blue Torch are also pretty sweet. However, I laser cut some that where taller because I needed more height there because my lowers tie in straight into the tubes. Even with the pinion guard on, and the bottom of the diff. shaved to fit around the cover, the diff. is still the lowest point. And with the angle on the driveline, it looks more like a skid plate, not a rock catcher. Well, heres the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Gravel Maker said:
And the axle twisting forces applied, we are talking about very high HP & Torque, they pretty much go hand in hand. When the inner axle twists, which they naturally do under load, the housing will bend and twist with the axle. The axle does this all day under normal torque and HP input. Under extreme use, the Truss helps the axle to twist shall we say, in a controlled manner. Please don't take this as any affront to your knowledge on these but look at a bent axle housing, they are almost always bent with a partial twist. Or a drag car that has spun its tubes. A couple of good examples of very high HP & Torque loads and the effect they can cause.:D
:rolleyes: I don't have those problems, with 700 HP andprit near 1000 ft lbs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts