Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm looking for anyones elses opinions on this carb. I got on a little while ago and havew not been super impressed with it. The first time I went out i had the truck stall 3 times over .5 miles of trail (and keep in mind there were only two steep hills climbs but they were no more than 30 deg if that). I had am edelbrock on it before (came with the motor) and it NEVER ran right. Is anyone else having luck with the truck avenger? or should I just rebuild a QJET?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am curious about this too. I got mine at a real good deal, otherwise I was gonna go Q-jet.

I should have my new motor fired up within two weeks. I will be posting all my results then.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
This has been asked many times.....Get a Q-Jet! Holleys, edelbrock performers, and carters are not worth a crap for off camber wheeling. You can play around with them and get them to work better, but IMO and experience they are for flatland driving! :skull:

·
Registered
575 Posts
yep, the q-jet is king carb but there is a holey that rates right with it. it is 450-500 cfm I believe, has the q-jet bolt pattern and central float bowl, it came stock on a few gm's. I had one on my truck before I went to TBI and it worked great, very rarely gave me fits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ugh... holley EVIL...

Helped my uncle install one on a K20 a customer of his had brought in for work... DO NOT SNEEZE WITHIN 10 MILES OF ONE or it'll never work right.

Get the Q-jet and ease your headaches.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm guessing that all the hype and positive comments that Peterson's gave the carb when testing it at the begining was a load of BS and a marketing ploy of Holley to sell a whack load of these things. I have herd that you can adjust them (havn't bothered with mine yet) to make them work a little better. I'm thinking that I might give the card one more chance to prove itself, other wise it's Q-Jet or possible Edelbrock fuel Injection time.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
"I have herd that you can adjust them (havn't bothered with mine yet) to make them work a little better."

You haven't adjusted it yet!!!!!! Of course it is not going to work right if you haven't adjusted it yet!

This is the main reason this carb has gotten bad reviews from people. They don't relize you have to set up a carb differently for each engine you put it on.

Mine works prety good. Better than my old q-jet.

I assume you are running it on your 305. It is probubly a little to much carb for that small of an engine. I have herd that with a stock 350 at sea level you need to be about 10 jet sizes lower than what it comes with to get the mixture correct.

If you don't feel comfortable messing with it yourself take it to a shop that knows carbs. Holleys are very tunable and any shop that works with street rods should be able to get yours working for you on your 305.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have actually played with it a bit but not as much as I should. Had a buddy install one on his 304 about 2 weeks after I did and had his installed at a shop and tuned by the shop. If anything I think that the carb is running too lean if anything. I had a 600 Edelbrock before (and we won't even get into how much that sucked, even after I'd taken it appart and modded it to the max). Right now there is snow on the ground up here so the truck is done for the year (will be playing with it over the winter). All i need to find is a book (or to that fact any info) on how to tune these carbs and then I'll pull it appart and start working on it.
So you said that I should jet it down?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
So you said that I should jet it down?
From everything I have seen about this carb has shown me that it runs to rich for most motors. The smaller the jet # the less fule gets thru; jetting down refers to going down numaricaly.

I have a 350 - 40 over with mild head work, comp cam x-tream 4wd cam, performer intake and headers/dual glass packs. Better than stock 350 but not overboad. I am at 5000 feet. I think it is 4 jet sizes down from what it came with origionaly on both primaries and secondaries (I wrote it down but info is at the shop). My O2 sensor says its still a little ritch, when at 8000 feet or above it starts having problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts