Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure maybe this should go in General, but since they go on a Jeep, what the hell. Was wandering if anybody had any luck with 4" ProComp springs on a CJ-7. I plan to run them SUA and with some luck and hammers/sawzall get some 35's under it. Just have always been a little shy to ProComp, but I got one helluva deal on them if I take it. What you guys think? Thanks allot!

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
they are ok. Not any better or worse then the Rancho's I ran prior to that. I don't know if its still valid, but when I ran them 5 years ago they came with a lifetime warranty from 4wp so when they flattened out I would just take em back and get a new set......

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
They're great!

On the street :shaking:
If you're planning to put 'em on a wheelin' rig, forget about it. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I have heard allot of mixed opinions about them, mainly very bad. But it seems that everyone that said bad stuff about them never have even owned a set. But there is every exception. Keep it coming.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
They suck, but this isn't from a guy that owned them. Sadly, my best friend ordered a set and we foolishly put them on. While he did the pro-craps, I put on superlifts.

Superlifts were 10 times better. He took them out 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Rubicon Express, worth every pennie for me, no complaints.

I'd only say do not buy Procomp shocks, i find them stiff.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info guys. I think you have persuaded me, now to just find out what size Ubolts I will need for my new BDS 4" springs.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
IndyCJ said:
They suck, but this isn't from a guy that owned them. Sadly, my best friend ordered a set and we foolishly put them on. While he did the pro-craps, I put on superlifts.

Superlifts were 10 times better. He took them out 2 weeks later.
Could you expound a bit on why the suck instead of just saying they suck.?? I ask that cuz I'm looking for a lift and would like to know why something sucks. I don't want to not buy it just because someone says it sucks

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
Doc Holiday13 said:
I don't want to not buy it just because someone says it sucks
I feel your pain, yet I too let loose with the "they suck" thing, so I'll ellaborate some...

They're too stiff IMO (stable on road though), and the leaves are too thick so they don't flex well. Because they're stiff, the rig sits too high in the travel - more compression than droop.

In addition, 4-inch CJ lift springs have too much arch to flex well anyway, so that had a fair bit to do with my bad experience. For as little as they flex, they require longer than stock shackles. I had problems with the front shackles inverting while coming out of full droop :mad3:

I'd recommend staying away from 4-inch springs altogether, because of all the arch. I'd say go with 1 or 2-inchers, and make up the rest with shackles and trimming. Or just skip all the BS and go SOA :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have them on my cj7 now and with the greasable shakles and full with axles I like them. They are good (not great) I have beat on them on the rocks and I have played with them in the mud and I dont have any problem with them but from what I have read I am about the only one that I know of that acually likes them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Might as well weld the axles to the frame and save the $ for something else
They are non flexing low chromium springs......perfect for the posers.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
CrustyJeep said:
They're too stiff IMO (stable on road though), and the leaves are too thick so they don't flex well. Because they're stiff, the rig sits too high in the travel - more compression than droop.

I'd recommend staying away from 4-inch springs altogether, because of all the arch. I'd say go with 1 or 2-inchers, and make up the rest with shackles and trimming. Or just skip all the BS and go SOA :D
I like stiff springs but from what you are saying its a none flexy stiff.

Secondly I am going SOA so I'm looking at 2.5" springs

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I run the 4" ones on the front of my CJ5 sprung over and have bent the shit out of six of them but I got them warrantied. Just for info. I have a 107" wb and a coil coversion in the rear. The springs flex like mad when sprung over. But for the money I'd go with Rubicon Express.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the ProCrap 4" lift on my 94 YJ.
It is the one mod that I wish I had not done.
My plan is to replace the springs with RE.
The PC springs are super stiff and do not flex much at all.

The kit did go on very easy, it was very complete and the instructions were great...the springs just [email protected]

·
Registered
959 Posts
I used to have a 4" Pro Comp lift on my YJ but i swapped that out for waggy's SOA. They were stiff as fuck, they had way to much arch. They were very stong never had problems with them braking SUA, they are bumpier then hell on the road though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I ran them for a few years on CJ7 with 4" of lift and they were stiff. I opened up the springs clamps that helped and I removed a leaf in the rear. Mine were kinda odd because the 4" lift sent my jeep 6" up without tires.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts