Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an opinion on toyhaulers, specifically the manufacturers?

I know what I want and need in terms of size and style.

Some are cheaper than others, PLAY-MOR seems to be good, but pricey relative to some others.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I spent over a year looking for a toyhauler. I 'wanted' a trailer I could haul my CJ-7 in but I settled for a Patio Hauler that only fits the bikes. A trailer capable of hauling the Jeep IMO just cost too much money. I know several of the big name toy haulers say they are rated to haul that much weight but after looking at a lot of trailers I came to the conclusion that I wasn't looking for the best built trailer, just the least shittily built one.

Look for the "Green Book" on RV sites - I think the offical name is RV Rating guide or something along those lines. IIRC, Playmor was rated fairly well. WW, Dunes and most of the other common brand names got slammed - at least in '00 when I bought my trailer. I looked at one Playmor trailer and it appeared to be fairly well built. Playmor didn't seem to be too popular here in CA at the time I was looking.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Search threads in this forum- there has been a ton of stuff. A real car hauler with living quarters is what you want unless you're gonna haul quads. I like Forest river Work and Play for the money.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I will pretty much agree with what brian4wd says, and I'm an RV industry insider. The company I work for used to make toyhaulers (we sold that segment of our business to Weekend Warrior about a year and a half ago). I was looking into buying one when we still made them, and I was pretty familiar with our product and those of most of the major mfgs. Toyhaulers are nice in that they offer a lot of nice amenities that you don't usually find in car haulers, race trailers and converted enclosed cargo trailers. But the construction and structural integrity are what I called into question. The ones we built (Rage'n, now an independent trailer mfg owned by the owners of WW) were actually pretty good compared to the other toyhaulers out there. But the problem was that they were still TOYhaulers. They'll work fine for getting a couple of quads or 2-wheelers to the desert, but I had real reservations about subjecting my fully outfitted, trail-ready EB to one of them. Even though I could have gotten an awesome price on one with my employee discount, I still decided to instead go to a custom trailer manufacturer and have one built to my spec's. I have a build-up thread here in this forum for my Universal Trailer, check out the construction in some of the pictures in that thread and compare it to what you see when you climb under a typical toyhauler. Some toyhaulers have plenty of capacity on paper based on the axle weight ratings, but the trailer chassis, floor and sidewall construction just don't seem to be up to the task in my opinion. You didn't mention what you intend to haul in it. If it’s a typical real-world 4X4 like most of us here have, I would just make sure to take a close look at how the ones you're looking at are built. If it’s a lightweight moon buggy, you might be fine with a regular toyhauler.

Dusty

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Call any one of the toy haulers manufacturers and tell them you want to transport a 3500-4000 lb car. Most if not all will tell you they are not set up for that (even if their load ratings are larger than the weight of your vehicle)

Carhauler with living quarters.

Campmaster by Roadmaster
Work and Play by Forest River

are a couple.

Lower end living quarters, heavier duty enclosed cargo trailer.

Most come with 5000 or 6000 lb duals, 7000lb are easy upgrades from the factory.

A 38 footer (work and play 38FK) has a 17', 7" garage, and a 14 ft living quarters. Make sure you can fit between the wheel wells. Most are 83" wide. And height... 6' 5" usually.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
WOLF359 said:
Call any one of the toy haulers manufacturers and tell them you want to transport a 3500-4000 lb car. Most if not all will tell you they are not set up for that (even if their load ratings are larger than the weight of your vehicle)

Carhauler with living quarters.

Campmaster by Roadmaster
Work and Play by Forest River

are a couple.

Lower end living quarters, heavier duty enclosed cargo trailer.

Most come with 5000 or 6000 lb duals, 7000lb are easy upgrades from the factory.

A 38 footer (work and play 38FK) has a 17', 7" garage, and a 14 ft living quarters. Make sure you can fit between the wheel wells. Most are 83" wide. And height... 6' 5" usually.
What he said- the W&P does have a taller door/ceiling. I found the living qtrs to be decent in quality, just plain rather than the bling but cheaply made toy haulers (Gearbox comes to mind) When I ordered mine, I could not get W&P to upgrade the 6k axles to 7's, but when it was delivered way heavier than advertised they agreed to ship me some 7k axles- so heads up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts