Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is selling a cj spring conversion for sammi's comes with 4 springs, 4 missing links and driveshaft spacers. The kit is an old trail tough kit, he is asking $200. I currently have a spring over setup on stock springs with 32" tires...how much of a benifit would the cj kit be? I am famililar with yj kits and there performance, but not cjs? I would have to make new frame mounts and buy shocks..but otherwise any thing else needed? I have a sky manf. high steer setup already as well as 6.5 low range gears. Thanks

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It will ride alot better than the setup you have now. Missing links in the front is not recommended

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
i personally have never had a problem with missing links in the front. dont really loose that much aproach angle. and they are fine driving on the road (i DD mine) never had one open up on my goin around turns.

So for 200 bucks i would get it
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run YJ's with missing links all around never had a problem even side hilling. Haven't had aproch angle problems either. They will give you a little softer ride and more articulation.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also like my YJ springs with the missing links.They work well for me on the trails but driving back to the tow rig with aired down tires I drive a little slower than I used to.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I run cjs in the front and yjs in the rear with revolvers @all 4 corners. I love them. the springs are stronger than stock. I bent 2 stock springs. have had no problems with the cj or yjs. however I dont drive mine on the street.

·
Registered
43 Posts
crazy ?

what are the missing links your talking about ?? new to this , just need some help to understand what i need when i brake what i have and go bigger .

Stock 87 Sam cut finders 235 mud dawgs , with a locker in back .:D

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm about to do the Trail Tough's missing link YJ conversion front and rear and Calmini's hy steer set up.

Any thing wrong with this set up? Missing link seems badass, I want the phat phlex son!
I plan on running 33's and locked front and rear, I don't know what locker to go with though, they all seem kinda cheesy. No spool here, did that on my YJ as a DD and it sucked very small tits. Not big ones at all.

I'm also looking into getting a power steering add on kit, I want a kit that has everything, I don't feel like getting a pump and a reservoir. What kit yalls recommend?

·
Registered
43 Posts
lockers

i got a lockright in back and loving it . 2 to 3 fold in performance . my budd drives a suburban 6.2L diesel on 35's with a 10"body and more , i can walk the dog on him . he is mad as hell at me . he he !! :mad3:

stock 87 Sam cut finders 235 mud dawg locked in back

P.S. it will pop and click all the time !

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have welded the front and rear axles. been running it like this for 4 years now and love it. I used it as a daily driver for six months like this had no problems. I did what is called a fozzy locker. the picture show that you just weld in the teeth of the gear. I have seen my buddys break lockrites, and other lockers. if you weld the gears like this it allows the axles to rotate indipendantly of one another to an extent. it is alot cheaper, and in my opinion better than lockers for these axles. just my 2cents

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Huh, I've never seen this fozzy locker set up, that's trick. So you only have a little bit of play between the axle shafts instead of a spool. If I understand it correctly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i think my axles will turn close to a half rotation befor locking up. it makes 3 point turns easyr on the road but if you do u turns it will chirp tires. but that is better than a spool. they work great off road. i have taken my axles apart twice since welded and inspected the gears. no problems.

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts
wow look at the myths pour out
personally I wouldn't bother.I never liked missing links and you lose approach angle.Just my opinion.
you lose an inch not bad for being able to flex out and run yj's so you move the axle forward an inch by drilling the spring plate.
It will ride alot better than the setup you have now. Missing links in the front is not recommended
I always hear this .. been running them for years in the front and mine was a DD, took a few cross country trips, stopped short in city traffic and i wheel it with hill climbs ledges and drop ins
its no different then the way a coiled rig behaves.

missing link is great, no safety issues, flex's awesome
look around who is running them, i have never heard anyone that did say bad things about them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's a horrible deal on those parts! Why don't you give me his name and number so I can let him know it's a bad deal:D

·
Registered
879 Posts
death shackles! i mean missing links.

missing links are just that, death shackles. we ran them on our sami when we first got it. this was stock wheel base mind you. with the toy axles, spring over, 2" springs on top of all that. we run 35's right now and we hate them shackles. we whell in southern utah and these things would unload allowing tthe rig to start a back flip. these things came out first we run the cal-mini boomerang things on the front springs in a fliped location. thing is so much better now. we aslo streched it to 105" wb now so that made all the differance in the world. but death shackels no way i'd only give them to some that well I HATED!

now you got your don't like'm.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Death shackles unload and almost cause a back flip.

I want to read more on this.

I think missing links are safer than revolver shackles, if that's what I assume the Trail Tough ones do.

·
Registered
879 Posts
ya we would be out wheelin and them things wow.

so here is what it would be like.slow speed steep and we'd alomst be up the thing and the front would lift and you could feel them things open and bottom out. they would unload is the best way i can explain it. al of a sudden were trying to go over back wards! i switched to the cal-mini and that light front want away! i now have the rear springs up front and that let the front drop down about two inches from the front springs. the shackles would lay down totaly and wow the flex! pic at

http://community.webshots.com/user/samistine

these things flex like the missing link but its much more controled and smooth action not sudden lift at all. but we also streeched it at the same time to so who knows what really fixxed it all. I"M LEANING TO THE STRECH!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts