Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i have 2 77 Dodge trucks. The 4x4 I bought when i was 14, built it from the frame up and made some mistakes along the way. If i finish it, i would like to take the body back off (not hard, it has 1 bolt on it right now) and clean up the frame mounts, etc.
Also, When i did it, i stripped EVERY bolt.. so the cab is in shambles.. and very much needs ALOT of work. I dont want to sell it because of all the energy i put into it,a nd it was my first truck.

The second dodge is a lowered 2wd i bought in highschool for a parts truck, but made it my daily driver. Plan was to make it into a street truck, throw in my 413, 4 speed, etc, and make it a really fun little truck. This again needs alot of work. This truck i dont want to sell because it was my truck through Highschool and I have alot of memories in it, and want to make alot more in the truck.

Building 2 projects, plus having a wheeling truck, AND a daily driver takes its tolls... in fact i havent had much time, money or energy for either of these two trucks in abotu 8 months. They are sitting on the side of my house.

I was thinking tonight though what about taking both trucks, and making one. Take the body off the green one, finish up the frame, and put on the brown truck body (complete). But am not sure, as i know i will cry when i see the brown one get torn apart (only think keeping it from driving is the blown 727, of which i have a rebuilt one in the garage).

So what do you think i should do? Just keep both projects, and slowly finish them? Sell them? Sell one? Or make them both into one truck?

Thanks for your help.

Garrett

Oh, and BTW, i also have a 96 Ram Daily driver (not my favorite, but it works), and an 85 4 runner that I wheel.. Just alittle FYI.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
What a dilema

Well, what's better? 2 trucks that don't run, and sit on the side of your house, or 1 that's bitchen? From the looks of it, the Green one needs to be finished and put to good use on any trail you can find. What are you gonna do with a 2 wd old dodge? You already have a 96 for that anyways. Put the body on the frame of the green one and ride those MTR's. In the long run, you'll be happier and more of a man for finishing the 4wd one, and therefore much happier...... of course I've never owned a 2wd in my whole life so..... If I wanted a fast street vehicle, I'd build a CAR for that. A 69 cutlass would do just fine. :idea: But, I've owned 7 4wd trucks my whole life, and i lock the hubs almost everytime i drive one. Go with your mojo, BUILD THE GREEN ONE TO THE BEAST IT DESERVES TO BE!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd definatly combine them into one good truck. Even if you did eventually finish both, there are always a lot of repairs to keep up with. The work won't be over once they're "done"

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
i say put the tranny you have into the 2wd and sell it to create some funds and focus on the 4wd. that is such a sweet lookin power wagon that if you dont start workin on it, i'm gonna drive down there with a trailer and steal that thing!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
i would put the brown cab on the green truck. toss the green bed. add the green cab onto the brown cab for an extra cab and build a small flatbed behind it.

as for putting the trans in the brown to sell for funds.....what would it be worth when running? $1200-1500 ? not worth the time of a trans swap in my book.

remember....the sawzall is your friend:D .

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'll cast another vote for building the 4wd. I just sold my ProStreet shortbox project to fund my latest 4x4. (That, and it gives me a Kick @$$ engine:D ). I figured that I could use the CrewCab everyday, all year round. The ProStreet would have to be garaged at least 3mos/yr due to snow.:( But, your climate is a little different then ours.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeha, the brown was my daily driver, 365 a year.. only real problems with it was the leaky windshield (gasket is messed up)... Oh, and i have a auto for the brown one right now too (i have alor of spare parts).. fresh rebuild.. but all my top end performance parts from the green one are on the brown one right now...

And just to think, I had the brown one up for FREE to one of my buddies if all he did was get it running and drive it.. I hate to see it sit..

Oh, and I paid $500 for the brown truck.. i would say it is worth between 1000-1300 after i got it fixed (but i still odnt have the smog stuff)... and for that i would rather let it sit in my sideyard for 10 years than sell it.

Garrett

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
fine, i tried.:D

seriously though, i'd get that green one runnin. what does it need to run? i know the interior is gutted, but what kind of mechanical problems does it still have?:confused:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Why do you need an interior in the green one? You're just going to rip it all out again later to put in a cage (unless you go exo). Jegs has a number of cage kits for these; I think that the 8-point looks about right, and they're only a few hundred. Weld in a cage, put tabs for buckets, add 5-point harnesses and mount AutoMeter gauges. THEN WHEEL IT! :D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FULLSIZE said:
fine, i tried.:D

seriously though, i'd get that green one runnin. what does it need to run? i know the interior is gutted, but what kind of mechanical problems does it still have?:confused:
Lloyd said:
Why do you need an interior in the green one? You're just going to rip it all out again later to put in a cage (unless you go exo). Jegs has a number of cage kits for these; I think that the 8-point looks about right, and they're only a few hundred. Weld in a cage, put tabs for buckets, add 5-point harnesses and mount AutoMeter gauges. THEN WHEEL IT!

You two just opened up a can of worms. I would like the truck somewhat comfterable on the street, but even so...

Right now it runs. Starts up, and drives... not well (VERY little power, runs like shit) and doesent stop well (foot to the floor, praying the angels are still in front of the truck). Needless to say, the truck hasent been over 5 mph since 1998.

As for whats needed... Body wise.. the wiring needs to be hooked up/replaced/etc. The dash is not all there, the gagues are scattered around the house and garage, the steering collumn from the 77 doesent match the 79 cab, and pushes the dash out of whack, the steering wheel is too high, the steering shaft is at a bad angle, etc. The body mounts arent on. The doors are almost totally stripped, all the seals, etc, are long gone, so the winodows are on steel. Door handles are who knows where, the doors arent ligned up correctly. Heater core isnt bolted on, and i really cant figure out how to, but then, parts are missing. The front clip isnt bolted on correctly, the windshield isnt put in right, and needs to be re-done, there is no rear window, no seat belts.

Drivetrain wise- obviouslly breaks, get the engine workin right, trans mounts, spring bolts, front shocks, front axle needs a pass side seal, the drag link is bad, the tie rod ends are mashed down (smaked them with a hammer), bumper needs to be finish mounted..

*putting lid back on can of worms*

Would you like to know what else is needed? :p

Garrett

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
do you really want me to make ya a list of what my truck needs? i plan to have it done in 3 weeks.............:flipoff2:

i know how it goes though garrett. just take your time, you have a toy to wheel for now, just take it slow but sure.:D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup toy to wheel.. this one i want to be a mild wheeler, but just a really clean 70's dodge. I see so few... and plus, i am jealous of my buddys very clean daily driver 76 bronco.

Garrett

·
Registered
146 Posts
GOD DAMMIT DONK!

Just get one of the damn things running. Wheel the hell out of it, forget about the 2wd, it will be too much work, just transfer the freakin memories :rolleyes: to the green truck. who cares about the 2wd, you talkin about 20k to do what you want to it, at least if your still talkin about makin it a show vehicle. really you just need less cars, get the truck goin and sell the 4runner and the dodge 2wd and stealth. with less cars you can start concentrating on one project not 5. You could actually make the PW work with less cars to screw around with.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SLO LUNG said:
GOD DAMMIT DONK!

Just get one of the damn things running. Wheel the hell out of it, forget about the 2wd, it will be too much work, just transfer the freakin memories :rolleyes: to the green truck. who cares about the 2wd, you talkin about 20k to do what you want to it, at least if your still talkin about makin it a show vehicle. really you just need less cars, get the truck goin and sell the 4runner and the dodge 2wd and stealth. with less cars you can start concentrating on one project not 5. You could actually make the PW work with less cars to screw around with.
Well see... for now the 4 runner is staying... maybe i will sell it later.. but as of now, i dont want to wheel the hell out of the power wagon. Yeah, i will wheel it, but not destroy it... i figure if i want a powerwagon to totally thrash, i wont use one that i have put THOUSANDS of hours into. 4 runner i can thrash, and i could care less. its a toyota :flipoff2:

I think I am going to pull the body back off the power wagon (not hard, as it isnt bolted down) and go over everything, so i KNOW it is safe (i dont trust it as is).
I may use the 2wd as parts, or maybe not.. but probabally it will just become my parts truck.

BTW, you are right, i do need to get rid of that stealth... can I borrow your toarch?

:flipoff2: Dave

(your gonna help me with the project, right :flipoff2: )

Garrett

BTW, is there any info on boxing the frame? I was thinking of using square tubing cutting it in half, and shoving it into the frame (looks like how my ram was done).. just the frame looks to be about 5.4" ID... or maybe my frame is so tweaked i cant tell (yeah, it is really tweaked from too much wheeling).

Oh and dave, we all know you cry about the hooptie too :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
take pieces of cardboard and put it up to the inside of the frame and trace the shape front to back. the transfer it to some thin wood and take it to someone with a plasma cutter and have them blast out the shape in 3/16 plate. weld it in, grind it smooth and your done.:D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Couldnt i also trace from the cardboard onto 3/16 plate, and have someone with a plasma cutter cut the plate from a sharpie mark on the plate :confused:

Also, what should i do about the transfer case crossmember? I still want it to drop out... only good way i see to do it is just to make a new one...

Still dont know if it is worth it to box the frame.

Garrett

·
Registered
146 Posts
Fullsize is right, you are smoking crack, just use some plate to box it in, use the scraps from the metal shop, here its like $.30 or less per pound for scraps, stop by on your way up after finals and we can pick some up, we'll put it in my truck cause it might bottom out your suspension:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts