Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build my first cage… I have done some research and from what I understand a lot of people recommend 1.75 x .120 DOM tubing…… My question is what do you think about 1.5x .120 DOM tubing… because I can get it from the muffler shop right next door for there cost. What is everyone’s opinion?

Second what do you think of the cage design.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157605801622901/

Any suggestions or stupid comments are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
175 Posts
1.5 OD. should be ok. Be sure to use gussets and if your mounting it to the body also be sure to use a pretty good sized plate so the tube doesnt rip through your body... I used a 1/4 thick plate that was 6 inches by 6 inches to mount my cage to my body. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'd still recommend 1.75 because tube strength most closely relates to diameter rather than wall thickness. This is hopefully going to support the weight of the vehicle when it's upside down and you're inside.

.120" wall is a good choice because it means that there's a good fit for doubling the thickness by sliding another piece of tube inside. This is useful for making splices. 1.75" .120 wall takes a 1.50" tube, and 1.50" would take a 1.25" tube for splicing over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts