Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I've been riding quads for 2 years now and I just rode a dirt bike for the first time and dammm it sucked. Like its cool if dirt bikes are your thing but I will take my quad anyday. They are so unstable, and touchy. You have to actually look at the terrain right in front of you so you dont crash. Yeah and you always have to worry about crashing (falling over) unlike a quad which it kinda hard in comparison.

Are there others out there or do I just need more confidence and time.

P.S 2 of the guys on the bikes today crashed and now they cant work cuz there mildly jacked up

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
well it goes both ways.. I have ridden both for years.. I consider myself a pretty darn good+ vetren Bike rider.. Like you said you jumped on a bike after 2 years. So there is no way to be used to the bike or have your skills honed up..I can take you on PLENTY of trails a quad could never get close to touching. Bikes are awsome as well as quads.. What I can tell you though is quads tend to hold on to you when you crash and hurt you worse.. I like the 3 and 4 wheel bikes for the sand and utility purposes the best

·
Banned
272 Posts
Bikes don't follow you and run you over for the most part.....

To each his own. I prefer a quad in the dunes and deer hunting - those are the only places.

Brian

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Try jumping both a quad and a bike, and the bike will be a lot kinder to you when you don't land perfect or come up a little short on a double.

I've ridden both for years, but I can personally ride a quad better which I think I can attribute to riding snowmobiles. I've been riding them for longer than dirt bikes or quads and the quads feel and ride a lot like sleds to me. However, if I had to choose one or the other to crash on, it would be a bike.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Give me a bike over a quad any day. Bikes are way more forgiving and fun to ride.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Two wheels.
The biggest reason is weight.
When a quad lands on you, you are in the hurt locker. Plu they are hard to bail off.

A motorcycle gets on top of you and it's about 1/3 the weight and to bail off all you have to do is let go of the bars and slide.

I rode motorcycles for about 10 years, and raced them for about 6.
If I didn't use my quad for hauling dead deer and equipment I would have a bike.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I see quads as being popular because anyone can plop their ass on one and ride. I personally hate them other than for a working situation.

·
Registered
730 Posts
smurfsdad said:
I see quads as being popular because anyone can plop their ass on one and ride. I personally hate them other than for a working situation.

haha not nearley as much skill :laughing:

·
Registered
986 Posts
SilverZuk said:
Two wheels.
The biggest reason is weight.
When a quad lands on you, you are in the hurt locker. Plu they are hard to bail off.

A motorcycle gets on top of you and it's about 1/3 the weight and to bail off all you have to do is let go of the bars and slide.

I rode motorcycles for about 10 years, and raced them for about 6.
If I didn't use my quad for hauling dead deer and equipment I would have a bike.
2005 YFZ450 (quad) Dry Weight 350lbs
2005 YZF450 (bike) Dry Weight 220lbs

IMO, the weight difference isn't as great as people think. Even 350lbs isn't THAT much weight unless you're a little kid, in which case you'd be on a lot smaller bike/quad.

I like both :)

-J

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
xBabyJesus said:
2005 YFZ450 (quad) Dry Weight 350lbs
2005 YZF450 (bike) Dry Weight 220lbs

IMO, the weight difference isn't as great as people think. Even 350lbs isn't THAT much weight unless you're a little kid, in which case you'd be on a lot smaller bike/quad.

I like both :)

-J
My quad weighs 600#, most people ride ones like mine not the fast ones.
'04 suzuki 400 Eiger 4x4.
Most others I looked at weighed about the same.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Man, I don't care how big you are (I'm 6'2/225)... 130 extra pounds is A LOT of extra weight when you're talking about machines that require as much direct input as a quad or bike. Anyone who's an experienced rider can tell you that the 20-25lb difference between a 125 and a 250 is night and day. I like bikes, always have. Even in the dunes... It's just more fun in my opinion. I usually hop on one of my buddy's quads for a few hours, but then I'm right back on my bike.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive had a 600# quad on top of me twice and it wasnt that bad, maybe I was lucky.

If you have on all of your moto gear, is it hard to get hurt on a bike when you fall, road rash, broken bones, ect.

Like I want to get used to riding these things, im just afraid of being out of work due to a bad crash.

Since its easy to be safe on a quad, no risk of eating shit doing 25mph unlike a bike.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
BigDan said:
Ive had a 600# quad on top of me twice and it wasnt that bad, maybe I was lucky.

If you have on all of your moto gear, is it hard to get hurt on a bike when you fall, road rash, broken bones, ect.

Like I want to get used to riding these things, im just afraid of being out of work due to a bad crash.

Since its easy to be safe on a quad, no risk of eating shit doing 25mph unlike a bike.
LOL...........ya more quad riders in wheelchairs then bikes anyday:eek: I was almost 1 of them, raced the 1st zuk 500s moto & TT flat track, that thing pounded my ass, & same goes for many others on the track, seen far more bad wrecks at the track for us quad guys :barf: you are the 1st person I have ever heard of that thinks a quad is safer then a bike, & I have been ridding for 33 years :p YUP I was around when the 1st 3 wheeler hit the market, sure they can be fun, but are far more dangerous

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got a KX125 dirt bike and 400ex sport quad. I like riding both, but, as was mentioned, the quad is easier to ride. I have fun on both of them though!

Kris

·
Banned
272 Posts
BigDan said:

Sorry, but you are way wrong on this. Other than no balance required on flat qround a quad is more difficult to ride fast IMO. On my bike I only worry about a 6" wide path, on a quad I have to worry about two 12" wide paths 4 feet apart.

Yes, you can get hurt on a bike. Just like you can get hurt on a quad. My worst riding injury so far has been kicking a basketball sized rock at ~20mph 3 days before going to Germany for vacation. Thought I broke my foot but luckily I didn't.

Brian

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
I have wrenched on and rode most of the makes out there, both quads and bikes. Bikes are, in my opinion, safer. Quads feel bulky and push the rider around on rough terrain. As for having to look at the terrain right in front of you, this is so wrong. I currently ride a 1985 husqvarna 500 AE automatic with an inverted front end. for those who have never riden a 500 two stroke, this is a fast bike. When I am riding, I am looking as far ahead as possible. dont worry about what you are running over, just maintain speed, relax, point the front tire where you want to go, and smile alot. Also, I ride flat track style which helps alot by giving me full control in a slide. It all comes down to seat time, lots of seat time.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Quads are like those big sea-do's ........ you jump on them and have fun right away, and after 2hrs youve done all it can do.....

Dirtbikes are like the standup jet-skis that take balance and skill to master......

More people get hurt on quads because there easier to ride so beginers jump on them and figure they cant get hurt, only to have it land on them.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Kyron said:
Quads are like those big sea-do's ........ you jump on them and have fun right away, and after 2hrs youve done all it can do.....

Dirtbikes are like the standup jet-skis that take balance and skill to master......

More people get hurt on quads because there easier to ride so beginers jump on them and figure they cant get hurt, only to have it land on them.
I think this is very accurate info.

I have been riding bikes for 7 years now and I have a couple of friends that have quads. They guys who have quads are afraid of bikes, but don't push themselves while riding either. Sliding a quad around a flat turn is fun, but gets old for me. Quads just won't go where bikes will go. I am also not that interested in jumping a quad, just to scared of what would happen if something went slightly wrong.

Looking right in front of your bike while riding is the worst thing you can do. That is the one of the very first lessons I give to a biginner "look down the trail, not in front of you". How can you see where you are going if you are looking in front of your bike? You always want to look where you want to go, your bike will follow your eyes.

You have to start slow on a bike, you can't jump on one and tackle the rough terrain the first time out. If you start on a smooth surface in order to get your bearings then it should be pretty easy. If trying to ride a motorcycle on smooth terrain is difficult for you, stick to quads. :p Fact is dirtbikes take a lot of skill, years and years of practice, literally. Another fact is quads and bikes are both risks, but the pleasure is way worth it for me.

JW

1 - 20 of 62 Posts