Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the optima battery i have is considerably smaller than my factory one (85 4runner), so the battery hold down no longer functions properly. i have done a quick fix by placing about a 3/4 inch plywood square beneath the battery to make it fit. it kinda works untill i hit a bump. so i was wondering what yall did to yours. i was wondering should i just buy a rubber strap with hooks, or fab one out of metal( how thick should i use, can i bend 3/16 inch steel by hand in a vise possibly using some sort of vice grip for leverage) or did you modify the stock metal hold down. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Fabbed one up out of 3/16" steel flat. Just bent it in a vice for angles and to fit. Piece of cake. Adhesived on some rubber to the flat and good as gold. You could always heat it up to bend it too.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
I fabbed one from 1" x 1" angle from Home Depot. Welded in some brackets down below and made a keeper for the top with holes for all thread. Cost less than $10 total, and no bootyfab bungy cords.

Doc

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I used wood to space mine up, a couple of pieces of 2x pressure treated lumber cut to fit the tray. Sprayed it with rubberized undercoating and set the battery on top. The stock clamps held it in fine. Otherwise, check with the place you got the battery from, Optima does have a plastic clip-on spacer for the bottom.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Plastic spacer here - Got it with the battery, Just had to ask for it from the guy behind the counter at LesSchwabs. I also use a piece of rubber under the OEM mount on the front edge of the battery to take up a little gap that is left over. But my OEM battery strp is kinda bent.

Oh, and please dont use bungy cords! Thats ghetto........

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I used one of those rubber sanding blocks under the OEM holder strap. Fits nicely between the post and keeps the battery snug. Been that way for four years now. :)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yeah, they're supposed to give you the spacer for free, but the place didn't have any when I got mine. I grabbed a chunk of 5/4 PT decking lumber I had lying around, cut it about 7" long, set it in the tray, put the battery on top of it. Stock hold-down clamp worked great, been that way since '96.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts