Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and can't find any relevant results.....

I've killed two Yellow Tops under warranty. When taking this one back the dealer talked me into the Blue Top Deep Cycle (he didn't charge me anything).

Does anyone have any long term experience with this battery? It has a longer/better warranty than the yellow top. Just curious if I can expect it to hold up better to my useage as a DD (sometimes), winching, air compressor, stereo running, etc. power source.

Also, I have read many varying opinions on the best way to charge the Deep Cycle Optimas. My Heep has a tendancy to sit for some extended periods. Low or high amps???

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I ran the blue top as the only battery for about 3 years, then added a red for starting and the blue for winch only. No complaints. The blue is a good combo battery, since it's effectively a deep cycle starting battery.

I had a regulator junk out and the battery actually exploded one of those little vent caps off the top....that was 2 years ago....just can't kill it!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
For my deep cycle boat batteries I low amp trickle charge. Probaly the samr but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used one in my old TJ for 2 yrs. Hard winching, cranking the starter to move it, never charged it, never took it out for any reason. It even lived two days with a bad alternator before I got it fixed. The other real nice thing is SS terminals won't corride. I'd stick with the one they gave you and see if it outlast the Yellow Tops.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
i run the blues too.

buy a $20 1 amp trickle charger and plug it it every once in a while. i left the lights on in my brothers YJ for 4 days. the lights were barely glowing. i got the jeep jumped and the load on the alt when hooked back up the the blue top killed the engine (4.0L ). i tried a my other 2 chargers and they would just overload and trip either the interal breaker or the 20amp breaker to the garage! i then bought the trickle charger , hooked it up, let it sit for a week, and the battery is now fine againg.

i also revived an old deep cycle boat battery that i had laying around with the trickle charger. before, it wouldn't hold a charge, after sitting on the trickle charger for a week it acts like new.

matt

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also, I have read many varying opinions on the best way to charge the Deep Cycle Optimas. My Heep has a tendancy to sit for some extended periods. Low or high amps???
I also vote for low amps.

One question, do you really need a deep cycle battery? I am not trying to dog you, but there is a lot of bad info floating around about battery tech, and most folks flat out do not need a deep cylce battery. Deep cycles are designed to flow modest currents for long periods, and then accept a slow multi step charge. Winching and starting require a battery to flow a lot of current and accept fast, high current charges. The designs are basically at odds with each other. Unless you are talking about an off-road camper, two red top optimas are probably your best bet.

A deep cycle battery in the optima price range should last you 8+ years minimum if properly cared for, and 12+ years is not unheard off. S two year claims of function don't mean much to me. I would spend the $$ elsewhere. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
431 Posts
{As far as I know, the only differences between the yellow and blue are: a) the color and b) the extra terminals on the Blue.}

you are right about the blue and yellow being the same except for the terminals. look on optima.com and you will see the differences. light grey case is deep cycle
dark grey case is starting battery

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
I've got an abused blue top that I've had for over 10 yrs.I've run it dead flat more times than I care to admit. Never had any problems. Yes blue and yellow are the same except the posts. If it go's flat slow charge it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input.

I guess I have a deep cycle because the concesus of posts I read showed this as my best option - with the Optima still being SLI rated....It's what I've got so I'm sticking with it for now.:p

Thanks,
Nicholaus

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Almost 3 years on my bluetop, this morning was -32 and my zook hasnt been started for a few months, no problem with the blue top. And yes its been in the rig all winter. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts