Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the different optima models out now what is everyone using.

There are now several model yellow and blue tops.

Jim

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I run a red top and I have a couple orange tops which are reds with reversed posts. I left my ign. on last night from 4ish till 6 am today and I got in the truck and the radio was still on :D Fired right up

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm running two red tops.
One as primary and the other as backup.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i am looking at getting a starting/deep cycle battery.

Anyone know what the best model is for this?

I am thinking a D31A yellow because it is 900CCA or a D31M blue top which is also 900CCA but i know know what the difference is between the two.

Or would a 650CCA battery perform just as well?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see that both of those models are ~3" longer in size which makes them less appealing.

Anyone running two deep cycle 650CCA's? How do you like it?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I run the Yellow top light gray case, this thing is so fuggin sweet!!!! When my truck died one time in the middle of an intersection, I just threw it in gear and turned the starter over until it started smoking (got me way clear of the intersection) Then I worked on it for like an hour of over and over starting with no fire, It never let up!! Old kragen batteries would die after about 5 non start turnovers....

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm running two yellow tops for last few years. No problems and always power to spare. I using a Warn isolator to charge.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
when i was deciding on which one to get i called warn and talked to an engineer who recomended the red top for winching. he sited the faster recovery time of the reds and that a winch motor is more like starter motor

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow that is different. I have never heard a red top suggested for winching mostly because they are not deep cycle i beleive. It doesn't sound like you went with his suggestion though.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
liquidkool said:
Wow that is different. I have never heard a red top suggested for winching mostly because they are not deep cycle i beleive. It doesn't sound like you went with his suggestion though.
Deep cycle batts are not made for high amp demands.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
yes i run a red top. i have for years. works great.

in fact i used to run dual reds but got rid of one to save weight because i never needed it. the single did the job

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what optima says:

13. What does deep cycle mean?
Deep cycle means using the battery in an application that will typically discharge 60% to 70% or more of the batter y capacity. An automotive battery is an SLI (starting, lighting, ignition) battery. It's plates are designed to deliver maximum power for a short duration. Starting a car typically discharges an SLI battery only 1% to 3%. When an SLI battery is used in a deep cycle application, or in a vehicle with heavy accessory loads, the battery life will be shortened proportionally to how deeply it is cycled on a regular basis.

14. When should I consider a deep cycle?
Any time you need the battery to supply all the operating power for a vehicle or other device. Additionally, deep cycle batteries should be used in vehicles that have heavy accessory loads where the alternator cannot maintain the battery in a fully charged condition.

It sounds like a deep cycle would perform better on a 4x4 and heavy winching. Because of the draw. But if warn says the motor is like a starter then that isn't the case.

How about the deal if i want to run dual batteries that they have to be the same type and age?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Deep cycles are good for long, continous discharges, but they don't like short high amperage demands - like winching.

Jim

·
Registered
327 Posts
Another thing to consider is the warranty - I ran a yellow top problem free for 25 months and then it died. I discovered (much to my surprise) that yellow tops only have an 18 month warranty - Red tops have a 3 year fullreplacement with another threee years prorated - I have red tops in both my trucks now.

Jackie

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i have to say you all have me leaning toward red tops which i had originally ruled out.

If anyone knows if i will have to order both at once if i ever plan on running dual batteries please let me know.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just a side note, but I think Costco still has red tops for $99. I'll be gettin mine this weekend.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
as for the matching battery post...I know that the 95 or so ford diesel vans used two different type batteries...one normal whatevery you want to call it and on long skinny one...which was expensive as hell when it went out. I doubt it that they were isolated (someone correct me here if im wrong):confused:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts