Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at future plans coming up, I have 6 axles to clean down to bare metal for trusses/brackets, ect within the next 8-9 months. All axles are from the late 70's or early 80's and have plenty of rust and road grime. I've had a few back surgeries and I'm getting too old for the 3hr hunchback grinder wheel/brush attachment method, so I'm looking for other options to clean up axles and get them all down to bare metal.

I've got a 29 gallon HF air compressor and a Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter already, with the option to run 220V.

What are you guys using for small garage/driveway sand blasting?

Is this worth my time?
Portable Abrasive Blaster Kit

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts
No, those are slow, probably get it done faster with a grinder. Any local blasting shops?

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
Realistically it's going to cost you $2000 to get enough gear to blast 6 axle housings. And that's really, really lowballing it.

For reference, I have twice the compressor you have and with a good pot blaster it took a better part of a day to strip a D60 front. I also have the little HF blaster you linked, and it works great with my compressor for stuff like shock brackets, tabs, mounts, etc. Anything bigger than grandma's favorite skillet and it's going to suck bigtime.

If you want to sandblast larger objects like axle housings, a jeep frame etc- imagine your dream shop compressor (if you hit the lottery), then double the size of whatever you just thought about. And that is for what I would consider small shop/ driveway sandblasting.

·
Scumbag
286 Posts
15 gal. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

This is a way better blaster to buy (or borrow). It'll still take a couple minutes of blasting and a few minutes of recharging to get the job done with the small compressor though.

Buying more tool than you think you'll need is always a good rule.

·
Antisocial
3,977 Posts
Realistically it's going to cost you $2000 to get enough gear to blast 6 axle housings. And that's really, really lowballing it.

For reference, I have twice the compressor you have and with a good pot blaster it took a better part of a day to strip a D60 front. I also have the little HF blaster you linked, and it works great with my compressor for stuff like shock brackets, tabs, mounts, etc. Anything bigger than grandma's favorite skillet and it's going to suck bigtime.

If you want to sandblast larger objects like axle housings, a jeep frame etc- imagine your dream shop compressor (if you hit the lottery), then double the size of whatever you just thought about. And that is for what I would consider small shop/ driveway sandblasting.
We have a rotary screw at work that runs 50+ hours/week. We could probably run 5 blasting rooms with it and still have enough air for everything else. :laughing:

Everything we build gets blasted and we have one of those portables for spot blasting. It's painfully slow to say the least.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Load them on a trailer/Truck take to nearest sand blaster .

Faster better and in the long run most likely cheaper.

Built a stand to what is the best height for you

Work at your speed with a grinder

I think you want at least 20CFM more is even better .

Your Harbor Freight Compressor would not even come close to having enough air.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
If you wanted to go all out the best way would be an engine driven trailer mounted compressor, like for jackhammers.

Check out sand blaster attachments for pressure washers. Seems to be a deent way to go for big bulky crap outside.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
If you wanted to go all out the best way would be an engine driven trailer mounted compressor, like for jackhammers.

Check out sand blaster attachments for pressure washers. Seems to be a deent way to go for big bulky crap outside.
Or just rent a 5gpm 5000 psi pressure washer and call it a day :smokin:

Rust will be there, but that's about it :D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Pay someone or rent the unit. I have a small blast cabinet and my 60gal compressor can just keep up with it. That cleans an area about the size of a dime, think of cleaning whatever it is with a pencil eraser. Great for small parts or giving an even surface finish.

May want to consider chemical cleaning. I have cleaned several axles with the DG house brand oven cleaner and a pressure washer. Not a perfect finish but plenty good enough for paint and very little time/physical work.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No, those are slow, probably get it done faster with a grinder. Any local blasting shops?
There are a few blasting shops, the lowest of 4 quoted me $1200 to get everything I have on my plate blasted. That was 9 H1 wheels, two D60's, one 8 lug D44, one D70 rear, a Waggy 44 and an 8.8...

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Shit, for all that I would just pay. That's a whole hell of a lot of boring, time consuming as all hell work. That boils down to 80 bucks plus or minus per part.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I use a pressure washer set to 3200psi with this from Norther Tool:

General Pump High-Pressure Abrasive Blasting Kit — 3500 Max. PSI | Pressure Washer Hoses| Northern Tool + Equipment

It cleans the road grime, grease, paint really well. Plus you dont have sand flying in your face or inhaling silica to worry about. After I blast things they usually have a orange haze, I then pressure wash this off with a normal pressure washer tip and done. It's not as perfect as a dry blaster but its good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Why do you need to get the entire axle down to bare metal for just the places that needed welded to? Seriously I would get a needle scaler to knock all the scaly rust, grease, oil, and dirt off and then wire brush where needed. Works like a champ.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
X whatever for sending it out.

If you haven't done it, you can't fathom the mess, the amount of sand and the hatred from your neighbors.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Local Automotive Machine shop?

Couple I know of have large dip-tanks for getting the grim and grease off, then many have a shot blaster that is big enough for an axle housing. They don't shoot sand but they fling steel shot at the part and strip it to an almost as-cast condition. They usually bake it first to get any last crusty shit.

Might be worth looking at for the big stuff. Get a decent blast cabinet, compressor and vac system and the smaller stuff (knuckles, hubs, maybe even wheels) would be easy enough to do your self, but the bigger stuff would bring the suck. Be interesting to try the pressure washer/blaster. My dad actually has a set up that we have never used, maybe its time to try it out.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
prostrip.com

They use a proprietary method that far exceeds anything you can imagine.

My minimum (I've known the owner almost 30 years and still do his environmental reporting for him once in awhile) is $150 and for that, I can get a pallet-load done.

I will gladly pay him whatever it costs me to have my stuff come back looking new.

Given your needs and restrictions, pay somebody to do it so you can get on with your project.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Before you ever get to grit blasting, you will need one of these. A axle cleaning parts washer like the one I built. For your exact reason of necessity. If you have ever cleaned an axle in your driveway with degreaser, you KNOW why I built this thing. Ruins your concrete and driveway. I have grit blasted a complete 14ff and having it totally fully degreased first was and is THE only way to get it done right. I can soak a complete axle in excelent solvent and it takes no time to clean a complete axle.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts