Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have tried as many searches as i can think of

would really appreciate if some of you guys can post some pics of how you mounted your orbital valve and steering wheel

i want to eliminate the whole steering column, a side question is what did you do with your ignition switch.
thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
a buddy of mine mounted his orbital valve right on the dash and attached right to the input of the valve a quick release steering wheel.. that's one way..

for mine i'm putting the factory steering column back in and the steering shaft will run to the orbital valve which will be mounted on the top of the frame rail.. hopefully, i will be reusing the stock ignition switch on the column..

·
thhhpptthh!
46,772 Posts
Bigger Valves said:

for mine i'm putting the factory steering column back in and the steering shaft will run to the orbital valve which will be mounted on the top of the frame rail.. hopefully, i will be reusing the stock ignition switch on the column..

Same for me!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Bigger Valves said:
this is how i ran it in my jeep and i have carried it over to the fj40/buggy i am building. it works good and i like my tilt column.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I mounted mine out on the frame rail using the factory steering column. A friend of mine used the complete steering wheel off of a forklift and the orbital is mounted at the end of the column, under the dash. I can get a picture of his if you want to see it. Heres mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
350 Samurai said:
I mounted mine out on the frame rail using the factory steering column. A friend of mine used the complete steering wheel off of a forklift and the orbital is mounted at the end of the column, under the dash. I can get a picture of his if you want to see it. Heres mine:
ok :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
I mounted mine to the firewall and use a straight 3/4" shaft with a quick disconect on the wheel. If you put it inside be sure to use a high pressure line on the return (if you have a sensing valve) so that you don't break the return line if you hit something hard and get a lap full of fluid.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
_®_ said:
Top!

I am finally getting around to mounting my Orbital and it looks like there isn't very much spline engagement if you use a peice of plate between the column and Orbital...anyone had any issues with this?
Don't put the plate between the column and valve, do it the other way around.....column inbetween plate and valve.

You can cut the rolled edges off of the steering column housing if you need to.

Sean

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Station said:

Don't put the plate between the column and valve, do it the other way around.....column inbetween plate and valve.

Sean
OK, Thought those rolled things were there for some reason...
also...did you ever get an easy way to weld tube to a coupler that fits the column?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Use a 3/4" 36 spline steering shaft U-joint. I had those input shafts custom made for that purpose, so it would be a perfect fit. You can also use either a 3.4" straight coupler with a pinch screw, or use a 3/4" 36 splined coupler.

Did your "urgent friend" get his mounted yet?

Sean

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Oh, and you can find those U-joints in literally TONS of cars/trucks in the junkyard for only a couple bucks.

I think anything GM is your best bet for getting the right size.

Sean

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Station said:
Use a 3/4" 36 spline steering shaft U-joint. I had those input shafts custom made for that purpose, so it would be a perfect fit. You can also use either a 3.4" straight coupler with a pinch screw, or use a 3/4" 36 splined coupler.

Did your "urgent friend" get his mounted yet?

Sean
Cool, thx

And, no he didn't get it mounted yet:mad: ...He has been slacking on his Jeep for a Month or so now...

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Station said:

Sean

???????????

Attachments

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
This is one way.

I on the other hand made a bracket and attached the orbital valve to the tube in the cage than runs where the dash would be. I think I need any tilt.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine is mounted on the top of my frame with the stock steering column. I had to cut down the slip on my column because it is mounted closer to the wheel as my stock steering box was. For the ignition I rigged up a toggle for the ignition and a water proof push button to start it. One more step closer toa race car that way:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts