Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is a lame question but after sitting at the local bolt warehouse for an hour on friday and getting absolutly NOWHERE..................

WTF is the thread in the 4 holes on the face of a charr-lynn orbital?

I need to use these holes to mount it but we cant figure out WTF it is.. the bolt warehouse finally gave up and said call charr-lynn... we have no clue.

station??? anyone?????

:confused:

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is a pic of the ID tag on the orbital in case it helps.

Station.... Can i drill these out to a close size and re-thread without dooing any damage??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
They should be 3/8 - 16 I have never seen a Charlyyn with anything else.. However that should have been an easy find, so maybe yours is different since it was made to fit a Toyota for lift.

I have not been able to indentify your valve by the tags...again...maybe it is a Toyota specific thing?

Sean

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the speedy reply sean. 3/8-16 eh? dunno.. we tried everthing. even every metric thread we could find. had about 4 different ones that all threded in about 3/16" then wouldnt go any further. all threads seem to be in good shape.

it is definately not a coarse thread in there.

So............ is it feasable to drill and tap in a normal thread??

thanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I wish I could tell you if you could do that, but I do not know about that. Try a 3/8 - 16 before you try anything else, just to be sure....;)
Sean

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks.... i know its not a 3/8-16... maybee 3/8-24 or 5/16-24. but its definately not coarse thread.. oh well.. :(

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
What size were the bolts that threaded in about 3/16? Take the corresponding size bottoming tap and just finish out the threads with that.
Even if the threads dont come out with 100% of their original strength, you'll still surely have more than enough strength for the applicaiton. (Do you really think you could rip them out by hand?) For example, the hydraulic motors on my balewagon are only held on by four 3/8 bolts and it takes tremendous rotational and side loading force, many times greater than any human could exert.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
:confused:

That seems really odd, I've seen and sold alot of valves and all were 3/8 - 16, like Station said.
If the holes are smaller than 3/8" i.d. you SHOULD be ok taping it to 3/8, if they are 3/8" you're rolling the dice going to 7/16" but I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
They could be metric and be one of three different metric pitches. Try the 1.0*, 1.25*, and 1.5* pitch metric bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts