Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flipping through Ben Fergison's site I saw this pict from a Venezuelan 60 down there:

I also know of a few other 60s that have the black hood, Henry C's princess, Kirk Issacson's 60 which is forale (sorry, couldn't find the site), James Asti's (at least used to), and I'm sure there are some others. It's a pretty cool looking scheme in my opinion. I'm wondering what the origin of it is. Did Henry C. start it and the rest are shameless theives? :D

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
I "believe" that started with early expedition vehicles (mostly Rovers) to cut down on glare off the hood. Of course I could be fully talking out my azz right now ;)

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Mustard Dog said:
I "believe" that started with early expedition vehicles (mostly Rovers) to cut down on glare off the hood. Of course I could be fully talking out my azz right now ;)
I heard the same explaination for the Baja Bronco's of the 60's.

and no I am not talking out of MD's ass....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Correct that it started to cut glare, but many of the US ones were done to repaint the hood as the paint would wear from the engine heat.

Great/cheap way to make the hood look right and add the safari look at the same time.

Many of the pristine 60 Series, especially the ones from a strong sun environment have faded paint on the hood - especially the beige/champagne metallic and silver metallic.

Jim

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I am amazed at the tires those guys run down there, so skinny, stability must not be important.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a matter of terrain. This is why skinny tires are much more popular in the East. They can chomp through deep mud and sticks and moist non rock environments. Likewise, you air down much less. I loved my 34 x 9.5 Swampers out east, but would probably not be a fan out here. Also, skinny tires can increase your overdrive while making very little difference with milage.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
In Venezuela *most* serious expedition rigs have blacked out hoods (flat paint or satin finish, not glossy like I've seen on some poseur rigs) to cut some of the glare from roof rack mounted lights. Since you can drive long distances with the rack lights on, it starts being a PITA.

Dunno who started it in the Cruiser world but I am *definitely* not taking credit for it, my father's 1969 FJ45 troopie had a blacked out hood and so did his brother's 1967 FJ45 LWB, both bought NEW. In the US I'd already seen a few trucks, Land Rovers, before I did mine, but it was definitely not an original idea of mine. I painted mine in the fall of 1996, mostly because I liked the way it looked (didn't have the roof rack then) and partly because my OEM paint was baked and in need of attention.

As for the skinny tires, it's really the result of many different factors; for one, 90% of wheeling done in Venezuela is expedition-style, with very heavily-loaded Land Cruisers running long distances on dirt roads and rough double tracks. There is very little off-camber and very little rock-crawling, so side-stability is not a TOP concern. Second, those rough double tracks tend to get very deep from water runoff, and differential clearance becomes an issue. When I first brought the Princess to the US people used to make fun of the neatly polished underside of my differentials, the result of running double tracks with smallish tires. Finally, and perhaps more importantly, big tires are VERY expensive in Venezuela, as most are imported, with Interco tires costing 3 and sometimes 4 times what they cost here. Availability in the outback is also VERY sketchy, so if you break down in San Fernando de Atabapo with two blown 36" Swamper SSR's, you either limp back to civilization with different tires or wait a couple of months to get replacements shipped from the US (assuming they even make it through customs). Thus, most people tend to run what's available, and for expedition use, it was tough to beat the old 9.00R16 military treads. They were decent in mud, gave good clearance, and above all, were made in Venezuela and therefore CHEAP.

In the past few years bigger tires have become more available, and you'll always see poseurs running more exotic tires, but for the most part, BFG's and MT/Rs (all under 35") are pretty much the staple, with the 9.00R16 mils running a close third.

Ditto for rims, very expensive and not a big variety, so *most* serious expedition wheelers tend to run stock Toyota rims. In the cities you see a lot of poseurs with alloy rims, but once you're in the outback, you want something that can be hammered back into submission with a 5-lb hammer.

As for airing down, its virtually unheard of because of the large cargo loads, I only remember people airing down when they were already well stuck in goopy clay, the rest of the time you run street pressures.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Hmm... trying to find some photo's from the 1960's of the East African Safari Rally. With the brush, muddy water crossings, etc. it was common to see lights mounted at the base of the windshield, hence the flat or matte black hoods to reduce glare from the Cibie lights at the time.

Spotted one of the POR (press on regardless) rally vehicles. Funny thing is the photo is 1999... yet Scott Harvey ran the event in 1975 in that Dodge!!! Scott Harvey Jr driving in '99.

Lights are not on it, but the hood is the same as from '74.

Tom :usa:

EDIT: He was 4th in '75. Pretty sure the same Dodge Colt.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Here's my version:D

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Deep South Cruisers said:
kewel Skull MD!!!

:D
Thanks, I got one just like it tattooed on my right ankle. TIN:skull:BENDERS are fully down for the cause :D :D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Mustard Dog said:

Thanks, I got one just like it tattooed on my right ankle. TIN:skull:BENDERS are fully down for the cause :D :D :flipoff2:
now THAT is commitment....................I was thinking of scanning and cutting a stencil of that one on mylar to spray paint onto my hood :skull:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Mustard Dog said:

DUDE... YOUR ANKLE? IS IT RIGHT NEXT TO THE BUTTERFLY AND THE FLOWER? :cool: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
FIXXXXAH said:

DUDE... YOUR ANKLE? IS IT RIGHT NEXT TO THE BUTTERFLY AND THE FLOWER? :cool: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
My arms are already covered up, figured the ankle was better than my azz:D :D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
YOU KNOW, IF YOU WERE REALLY THAT DOWN WITH TIN BENDERS POR VIDA, YOU WOULDA GOTTEN IT ON YOUR CHEST :skull: ;) :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Mustard Dog said:
not having read the rest of the thread yet. this is the primary reason, all the big rigs over here do this!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Or my version which didn't cut down on glare at all. It probably increased it. I think it also made the hood seem longer than it really was. I haven't decided if I will do it to the 80 or not. I was thinking of painting the flag on the roof this go around.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts