Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Do you think it was the lower gearing that caused the trauma.

Either way, SWEET.

I need to get me one of them orions.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slowerthanu said:
Do you think it was the lower gearing that caused the trauma.

Either way, SWEET.

I need to get me one of them orions.
I am not convinced it is the gearing that caused the breakage, he was just in a nasty rock garden when they blew. He runs a Detroit in the rear, that probably didn't help the rear axle survive. I feel the ratcheting all the time hammers the axles and helps lead to premature failure.
He is running the Orion behind an SM465, and runs 35" tires. I have lower gears and bigger tires than he has and didn't break any axles.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beat95YJ said:
Looks like its time for a Dana....you know Jeep parts!

The good stuff! :flipoff2:
Lets count how many Dana axles you have broke, and how many Cruiser axles I have broke. Just like keeping score in Golf I win :flipoff2:

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,194 Posts
ROCK HUGGER said:
Lets count how many Dana axles you have broke, and how many Cruiser axles I have broke. Just like keeping score in Golf I win :flipoff2:

I have always been told that the highest score wins....just like golf! :flipoff2:

Oh yeah, I have more dana axles (in running vehicles) than you have Cruiser axles. And I wheel my junk. Your idea of wheelin' is backing out of the garage, wash, wax, drive back in. :D

And I have broken waaaayyyy fewer birfields! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
So he felt he needed a AA style propeller brace and a lower crossmember to support the Orion?

Walt<><

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm not sure the exact numbers, but it is way too heavy for just the motor mounts to handle. Just a guess here: Orions packaging weight is 99 lb and the 465 is 175 lb. Prolly around double a stock configuration.

I personally think I should have a brace on the back of my tcase just with my sm420 and 3 speed combo.

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
ROCK HUGGER said:
Birf went on the same side and at the same time as the rear axle :nuke:
That's really interesting, the same thing happened to mine this last weekend.

We were at the Hammers doing the last waterfall on Wrecking Ball when I heard two bangs almost at the same time. We pulled the busted shaft (long side), but couldnt get the piece out of the diff. So we pulled the short side and hammered it out with metal rod. At this point we didn't know the birf was gone so we buttoned it all back up and climbed out. I noticed it was broke on the way back to camp;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
peesalot said:
that bottom cross bar does not support the tcase does it ?
I believe it does! ROCK HUGGER: Any pics of that crossmember's attachment points? Every Orion mounting scheme must be discussed at length with photos.:grinpimp:

No hurry. I'm still waiting to get my Orion till after the Lotto hits. :laughing:
:D
Walt<><

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
peesalot said:
that bottom cross bar does not support the tcase does it ?
Peesalot, this is the Orion you were asking about last week, the one that was on the Rubicon with D.W. :D

No I do not think that is a support for the tcase, it is his skidplate.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4x4Poet said:
I believe it does! ROCK HUGGER: Any pics of that crossmember's attachment points? Every Orion mounting scheme must be discussed at length with photos.:grinpimp:

No hurry. I'm still waiting to get my Orion till after the Lotto hits. :laughing:
:D
Walt<><

I did not look at it real close but it did not look like it is a mount, just a skid plate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts