Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright OSR, here's the deal...I recently came across a few USGI 30 round magazines that I had full intention of making a profit from. However I realized I may be able to be a little more productive rather then simply putting cash in my pocket. Here is your challenge....

Write letters to your reps, or any reps across the US for that matter. Letter must be personalized and sent via handwtitten/typed mail or email....NO form response on each rep's website or the like. Take a picture/screenshot of the letter and add the copy/pasted content too if you wish. Take another picture of the addressed/stamped envelopes ready for mr. postman if you do snail mail.

I will award prizes based on quality and quantity. Right now I will put a tentative prize of 10 mags for the winner and 5 mags for (2) runners up. I may be able to get my hands on some more as well as add some additional gear as prizes for more entries.

Expressing your thoughts and feelings to the guys in DC is vital at this point. Keep pressing the issue and make your voices heard.

*disclaimer*
Mags will only be sent to addresses in states that allow these items. I will find a prize suitable for those guys who don't live in a free state who still wish to participate.

GO!

edit: challenge begins now, will end Friday, 15 February.

motivation:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Excellent idea.

·
Registered
585 Posts
good idea, but why only snail mail? what i am hearing is that personally written email (no form letters) get noticed the most. I went out and talked to my reps in harrisburg in person. just a thought but either way :beer: to ya.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
good idea, but why only snail mail? what i am hearing is that personally written email (no form letters) get noticed the most. I went out and talked to my reps in harrisburg in person. just a thought but either way :beer: to ya.
edited the rules above.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Wasn't aware of this. I'll designate one of the 5-mag runner up prizes to an email submission, unless I find more magazines and it will be its own 'category' if you will.
Additionally, there is a "disclaimer" on "our" Federal representatives sites that state snail mail has to undergo rigorous testing (for anthrax and such I suspect) before being delivered to their respective legislators. It takes a lot longer, if ever, for a hand-written letter to arrive. Email is prolly the best way...

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Additionally, there is a "disclaimer" on "our" Federal representatives sites that state snail mail has to undergo rigorous testing (for anthrax and such I suspect) before being delivered to their respective legislators. It takes a lot longer, if ever, for a hand-written letter to arrive. Email is prolly the best way...
Edited the rules above. Letters can be hand written, typed, or emailed.

Please post responses if you get them!

·
raise helldrink beer
1,687 Posts
I take it state representatives count? My congressman and senators (Cruz, Cornyn, and Culberson) are very pro 2nd Amendment. I can write them again but I'm not going to change any minds. For some reason Texas seems to be behind when it comes to passing a firearms freedom act, anything open carry, or allowing concealed carry on college/school campuses. I've been needing to write my state reps on these issues, maybe this will motivate me to get it done.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I take it state representatives count? My congressman and senators (Cruz, Cornyn, and Culberson) are very pro 2nd Amendment. I can write them again but I'm not going to change any minds. For some reason Texas seems to be behind when it comes to passing a firearms freedom act, anything open carry, or allowing concealed carry on college/school campuses. I've been needing to write my state reps on these issues, maybe this will motivate me to get it done.
Hell yes they count. Write reps out of state too if you wish.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I just NOW sent a copy of this to all of my DC reps, maybe it'll inspire others:

My DC reps are Polis, Bennet, and Udall (all Dems unfortunately)

Mr. (Insert DC rep here),

I question any elected official who would even consider criminalizing millions of law abiding, peaceful taxpaying citizens solely for the purpose of political gain. Any elected official who believes that they can do that and still receive our support is truly mis-informed. I would, instead, focus on the debate of mental health issues.

Do not erode the 2nd Amendment any further. I will be watching how you vote.

MyName
MyAddress

EDIT******

Here is Jared Polis' response:

Dear InsertMyNameHere:

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on the recent debate about guns. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue and apologize for any delay in my reply.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights, and I feel strongly that we have a responsibility to protect the rights of lawful Americans to own guns for protection, recreation and sport. I am skeptical that an outright ban on particular weaponry would have any meaningful impact on violent crime. I fear that some of the policies being proposed by a number of my colleagues in Congress would make it more difficult for Colorado families to defend themselves when in harm's way, and could also interfere with the recreational use of certain weapons by law-abiding Coloradans. While I support parts of the President's plan to reduce gun violence, I am also skeptical of the price tag associated with it. The $500 million that it would take to implement this plan could be better spent reducing the deficit and investing in critical education improvements and mental health services.

I believe that the best way to reduce violent crime is to ensure that kids have access to opportunities and jobs and do not turn to crime or join gangs out of desperation. One of my top priorities in Congress has been reforming our education system. I am a strong supporter of the Race to the Top program, with the goal of rewarding states that implement beneficial education reforms including parental choice, better professional development and teacher training, turning around failing schools, closing the achievement gap, charter schools, and better data systems to identify best practices. To support these efforts, I recently introduced H.R. 426, the Race to the Top Act, which would expand the program to school districts and reauthorize the program for five years, giving states the support they need to implement comprehensive reforms and compete for federal funding. This legislation prioritizes rural and high-poverty districts and supports increased teacher and principal effectiveness to ensure that all students have equal opportunity to succeed. The Race to the Top program has already unleashed a wave of creative education reforms all around the nation. By better educating our children and understanding their environments at school, we can provide a place of learning that is safe and addresses the needs of our most vulnerable.

In addition to supporting education reforms, Congress must work to increase and improve mental health resources. While the vast majority of those who suffer from mental illness are as non-violent as those who don't, many recent gun tragedies that our nation has suffered have been perpetrated by individuals who may have suffered from mental illness. It is past due for Congress to address the lack of treatment and assistance we offer our mentally disabled citizens. By supporting efforts to install more highly trained counselors in our schools and to provide the resources that parents, families, teachers and employers need, we can help those who suffer from mental illness while reducing the kinds of mass shootings to which our nation has sadly grown accustomed. I am hopeful that Congress will respond to these tragic shootings in a way that makes our nation safer while continuing to uphold the liberties guaranteed by the Constitution.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. I hope my letter addresses your particular concerns. If I can be of any further assistance on this, or any other issue, please do not hesitate to contact me at (303) 484-9596. I also encourage you to visit my website and sign up to receive my e-newsletter at http://www.polis.house.gov.

JP/al

Sincerely,

Jared Polis
Member of Congress

·
raise helldrink beer
1,687 Posts
First round of letters tonight. Somehow motivation came to me to write my reps in Washington again... that and I know where to find their contact pages.:homer: Anyway, here is the letter I wrote my Congressman Cornyn, and Senators Cruz and Culberson. Text is:
I read today on the news that House Democrats are introducing gun control legislation similar to that of which President Obama is supporting. I want to remind you that I as a voting citizen in your district am against all new firearms legislation. In fact I urge you to support any new legislation that further protects the rights of all firearms owners in this country. I would love to see legislation similar to that of other countries that issued arms to all citizens over the age of 18. I read in the news about the Department of Homeland Security buying 1.6 billion plus rounds of ammunition and 7,000 Personal Defense Weapons, select fire at that. Would money not be better spent arming citizens as Switzerland does with theirs rather then creating fear and uncertainty with our citizens as why the DHS needs that much ammunition when the most we ever used in Iraq was 5.5 million rounds per month. That means DHS has purchased enough ammo to wage full scale war for 30 years. I really want to hear someone in Congress tell the citizens of America why DHS needs that many rounds.

Also did the email for firearms safety to Cruz that was here in chit chat.
Text:
Senator Cruz,

I am writing to you in response to the request for proposals for ways to prevent gun violence that was posted on an online forum I am a member of. As a person who has grown up around firearms I feel they are a deep part of our culture. While I do not believe the United States has a specific gun problem I do think we have a moral problem with our culture. Life is not valued as it use to be. Violence is glorified whether it is a show about a police department, movie about criminal/crime, the days of good westerns where the good guys with guns won seem to be gone. Many gun control advocates say they want gun control for the safety of others. They site gun violence and homicides in other countries yet fail to point out the overall violent crime rates which are higher then here. They say other "civilized" countries have tough gun laws and we should too. Look outside of the country at other media sources and it doesn't take long to see that the Russian newspaper Pravda has told Americans never to give up our guns as it is something that makes us unique among modern countries in the world. Pravda even understands that Americans are responsible gun owners and not wanting a "wild west" environment like gun control advocates claim will happen. I think it's safe to say that there is no country in the world like the United States of America which we can compare ourselves.

As requested though I will propose specific ideas to decrease gun violence. First, don't report suicides, lawful defense against criminals, and homicides by police in gun violence/homicide figures. Just report violence against others in which a firearm is used. Look at the big picture when it comes to all violence and not just one specific section. How many people get to defend themselves with the firearm of their choice? Second is firearms training/safety. This is an area that as long as firearms remain right practiced by civilian will always be developing and in turn, benefiting our military. The second amendment says "well regulated militia," the 10 USC § 311 states that all able bodied men are in the militia, either the organized or unorganized, everybody. I think it should be important for additional training be available to anyone interested regardless of if they're enlisted in the military. Safety should also be encouraged, you see police departments saying no refusal weekend. Why can't they say/offer firearms safety weekend and again, offer training and advice to citizens wishing to arm themselves? None of this would have to be mandatory as gun control would be to otherwise law abiding citizens.

Finally I ask this, if the military can take a 18 year old young adult from New York City, Chicago, or any where else, who has never fired a firearm before in their life, and teach them to be proficient with a select fire M4 rifle, why can't the government trust it's citizens with semi-automatic only AR-15s? This is technology that is over 100 years old and now all of a sudden there are those who say this technology is no longer safe for civilians. Fully automatic firearms have been heavily restricted for almost 80 years now but we still see reports in the media regarding automatic firearms. As a law abiding gun owner is is sometimes confusing all the laws we already have to follow in this country, and to read the second amendment say "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed", I wonder if any of it is really constitutional.

Thank you for your time,
mustangstephen

Probably going to be next week before I can email my state representatives.

Edit: just checked email and got a failure notice on the last letter to Cruz, will try and find a valid email and update.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I just sent this same letter to all 3 of my reps in DC. Sent a similar but shorter level to those at the state level although cant find a copy of it.

Dear Senator Alexander,

My name is Chris Redd and I have sent several emails to your office in recent weeks, and I would like to thank you for taking the time to read those, and now, for reading this letter. The main purpose of those emails and this letter is to encourage you to strongly oppose any and all efforts to limit the rights guaranteed to citizens by the United States Constitution, especially in regards to the 2nd Amendment, which is under blatant attack at this time.
The recent tragedy in Newtown, CT and the following media coverage understandably caused emotions to run high about gun control. However we cannot allow our emotions to overrule common sense, logic, and constitutional law. Our founding fathers ratified the second amendment in 1791 as part of the Bill of Rights, and it is still necessary, relevant and applicable today.
There seems to be a lot of misinformation and errors in logic being discussed in the media and by some politicians. I’d like to review a few of those points, and the relevant facts, with you in this letter.

According to the FBI’s own Uniform Crime Statistics report in 1994 - before the Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) went into effect – a person was 11 times more likely to be beaten to death than to be killed with an assault weapon (AW). Even weapons misclassified as AWs (common in the former Federal and California “assault weapons” confiscations) were used in less than 1% of all homicides, as shown in the FBI Uniform Crime Statistics report from 1993. In the 2004 preliminary summary of the same report by the FBI, they noted that the first year the AWB was lifted saw a 3.6% decline in homicides, and a 1.7% drop in all violent crime.

Limiting gun ownership and citizen carry privileges would be to remove or restrict a powerful crime deterrent. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey conducted by the Bureau of Justice and the BATF in 2000, as the handgun supply in America increased, the total number of property crimes (especially burglaries) dropped dramatically, almost inversely proportional with the increase in handguns. I believe a direct and positive correlation can be made between these two contrasting figures. In a report by Criminologist Dr. Gary Kleck from Florida State University, titled Targeting Guns, it is shown that guns help prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year, or more than 6,800 crimes per day. Often the gun is never fired, and no blood, including the criminals, is shed.

What about the argument that preventing crime is the job of the police and should be left to them? In a paper published by the Independence Institute in October of 1994, its authors tell us that about 11% of police shootings result in the death of a bystander, and that only about 2% of shootings by armed citizens end the same way. In 2012 blogger, Davi Barker compiled data from over 100 shootings as reported by CNN, and reports that the average number of people killed in mass shootings when the shooter is stopped by police is 14.29 people, while the average number of people killed in mass shootings that are stopped by armed civilians is only 2.33 people. Again, I believe these numbers support the fact that an armed citizenry is a powerful force for limiting crime and its consequences.

I know that most of this letter is likely ‘preaching to the choir’, to utilize a common southern euphemism, as I believe that you feel much as I do. I draw that conclusion based on your past voting records and stance on this issue, and the fact that the NRA has given you a score of 92 out 100 as shown by votesmart.org. I also feel proud to tell you that The Brady Campaign has given you a score of 0 out of 100. You should be proud to be so labeled by those among us that seek to limit individual freedoms.

However, please let me continue. Banning guns does not stop crime - it only removes a tool. Take for example recent events in Newtown, CT. Could not this terrible crime have been committed with any number of other weapons or everyday objects like knives, cars, bats, poisons, etc? I’ve seen no suggestions that we should limit baseball bat ownership because they can be used to inflict injury and death. People who have decided to commit these types of heinous crimes are not limited for tools they use, nor, clearly, are they limited by the law, as we are all well aware that the brutal murder of those 20 children and 6 adults is against the law regardless of the tools used.

We simply cannot allow the media, and those among the D.C. politicians who wish to disarm our citizens, to use this grievous tragedy to vilify a firearm into an evil entity. It is simply a tool, used by people for their purpose. Those purposes include legitimate self-defense, sport and protection. We must blame, and severely punish the criminal responsible for this act, and others like it. Simply removing a tool will not stop these types of attacks. It only allows criminals, who operate outside of the law to have a greater force multiplier than their intended victims.
As a voter, I appreciate your past actions in favor of protecting individual rights by opposing unnecessary gun restriction. I cannot over stress the importance of continuing to make every effort to preserve Americans’ rights to protect themselves by striking down legislation aimed at limiting the second amendment. Your actions in this matter will be closely observed and taken into consideration when selecting qualified leaders for our country.

Thank you,

Chris Redd Charleston, TN

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I just sent the following to my state legislatures. I usually don't have this tone, but they have pissed me off as sponsors to Anti-Legislation.

To Kelly Flood:

Today, I am truly saddened to have to send you this message as I believe Kentucky is a Great place to live. I am truly saddened that you are wanting to change this though and to once again trample on Law abiding citizens such as myself and many others in your district and throughout the entire state. The Legislation you are currently proposing is not only un-constitutional, but Vice President Joe Biden has gone on record and said that this type of legislation will not make a difference to crime or prevent the next mass shooting.

I would love to debate Gun Control with you, but based on the fact you even consider this piece of legislation a good idea, I'm sure you cannot believe in our God Given rights to self protection or the fact that Criminals are called Criminals because they don't obey the laws as written. Therefore this would not apply to Criminals, nor would it deter criminals in any way, however what it would do is immediately make criminals out of MANY good Kentuckians, who would otherwise be Good state supporting LAW ABIDING citizens.

Just so that you don't get confused on my position, I DO NOT support any gun control legislation and especially your HB 265. In addition, I will be supporting anyone who runs against you at your next election. As a Good Kentuckian, I will doing everything within my legal power to have you replaced and ensure you do not have a NEXT term in office. Thank you for helping me finalize my decision about how I will vote at your next election.

There are many others who agree with me, so I hope your enjoy your last term in public office.

To Kathy Stein:
Today, I am truly saddened to have to send you this message as I believe Kentucky is a Great place to live. I am truly saddened that you are wanting to change this though and to once again trample on Law abiding citizens such as myself and many others in your district and throughout the entire state. The Legislation you are currently proposing is not only un-constitutional, but Vice President Joe Biden has gone on record and said that this type of legislation will not make a difference to crime or prevent the next mass shooting.

I would love to debate Gun Control with you, but based on the fact you even consider this piece of legislation a good idea, I'm sure you cannot believe in our God Given rights to self protection or the fact that Criminals are called Criminals because they don't obey the laws as written. Therefore this would not apply to Criminals, nor would it deter criminals in any way, however what it would do is immediately make criminals out of MANY good Kentuckians, who would otherwise be Good state supporting LAW ABIDING citizens.

Just so that you don't get confused on my position, I DO NOT support any gun control legilsation and especially your SB 121. In addition, I will be supporting anyone who runs against you at your next election. As a Good Kentuckian, I will doing everything within my legal power to have you replaced and ensure you do not have a NEXT term in office. Thank you for helping me finalize my decision about how I will vote at your next election.

There are many others who agree with me, so I hope your enjoy your last term in public office.

I received the following from Stan Lee a 2A supporter in my State Legislature.
Thank you for the email. I will continue to fight to protect our 2d Amendment Rights. I have already filed HB 156 and HJR 33 to do just that.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 11:14 AM
To: Lee, Stan (State Rep.) (LRC)
Subject: Thank you and Please introduce similar Legislation.

Title: Mr.

First_Name: Cliff

Last_Name:

Street:

City:

State: Kentucky

Zip: 4050X

Phone:

Email:

Subject: Thank you and Please introduce similar Legislation.

Message: First off, I again want to thank you for being a true Kentuckian and a supporter of the Second Amendment of the US Constitution. Now, I want to make sure you are aware of what is being done in other states to help protect citizens against the Federal Government from overstepping their bounds and trampling on freedoms.

Most specifically, in Wyoming, a great piece of legislation is being drafted that protects citizens. The legislation as it is currently written is located at the following link. http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2013/Introduced/HB0104.pdf

I encourage you and your colleagues to draft and sponsor a similar piece of legislation for Kentucky. I have already contacted a few others for their support.

Additionally, I would encourage you to once again introduce the Firearms Freedom Act as I also believe this is an important legislative action.

That's just a few I've written to my State Reps.. I have also received 2 typed form letters in the mail from Mitch McConnell this week, and a couple e-mails from Rand Paul, and a response from my US Congressman.

Everyone keep writing the letters.

Cliff

·
Registered
585 Posts
Emailed senator Casey for the 10th time.

Senator Casey,

I urge you to sway away from any new firearms regulation. The second amendment was not written to protect hunting or sport shooting. It was written to prevent oppression upon the people from a tyrannical government.

In regards to your recent interview, This is not a democracy, we are a republic, you have a duty to uphold the constitution and not be swayed by a majority who is mainly affected by emotion. As well, if you are swayed to go against your oath as you are "haunted" by what happened at sandy hook, I must question your ability to perform your duty to office. It can be tough, but you must be strong.

Lawful citizens are not the villains, and a firearm is merely a tool. Go after the villains and not the tool. Cosmetic features do not make it evil, and an AR 15 cartridge is smaller and less powerful than an average deer hunting cartridge. If these are weapons of war, who are the police at war with? "Shall not be infringed"
Thanks for your time, a former voter who will NOT forget when your re-election comes up in 2018,
Justin
Chicora Pa

·
Registered
585 Posts
One to Pat Toomey for good measure (he is very pro gun)

Senator Toomey,
First I want to thank you for representing me so well this far. I am proud to have voted for you. Please do all you can to stop the horrific "assault bill" attacking defense rifles presented by Feinstein. I would be willing to bet that she presented it wrapped up in an evil black binder. I am also fully opposed to a universal background check and mental health bills that would make anyone with ADD, ADHD, PTSD, or even talked to a mental heath professional about losing a loved one. there is too much openness to achieve a backdoor registration in the proposed mental health legislation. Please know you will have my full support and utmost respect if you block all legislation coming to further gun control agendas. Even if they threaten to defund projects near and dear to you. I can respect a man who stands on principles. I took unpaid time off this past January 23rd and drove from Butler to Harrisburg to attend a second amendment rally and to talk to my reps at the state level to show my commitment to principles.
Thanks for your time, Justin

·
Registered
585 Posts
Letter to my congressman (another strong constitutionalist and 2a supporter)

Letter to congress

Dear Mr. Kelly,

As a supporter of yours I must say that I am proud to have voted for you. My views and conservative values have been well represented by you and I appreciate that. However, I must ask, in the wake of the terrible tragedy at sandy hook elementary that you do not allow any new gun control laws be passed. As we speak Feinstein and the Brady campaign are stating that they plan new legislation to restrict law abiding citizens on their firearms ownership. While the incident is tragic, I , as a parent of elementary aged children would rather see the teachers be permitted to carry or have armed guards. The laws will only stop those who follow it. A sign or even the most restrictive law would not have stopped this madman. If making things illegal would truly stop criminals, why don't we pass laws to make murder illegal? Please Mr. Kelly, if they propose anything along the lines of new gun legislation, fight it like my kids' lives depend upon it.

Thank you for your time,
Justin

1 - 20 of 35 Posts