Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
So someone is suggesting using furnace filters (Sometimes using fiberglass in the filter media) as masks ?

Fiberglass being inhaled into the human lungs would possibly create a bad situation as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My wife works for the hospital (home health nurse). She asked for a mask and they are telling nurses they dont need them.... smells fishy.
The Gf works in ICU as a nurse here. They confiscated everybody's PPE and told them they were only for the people directly working with known CV patients. They also have a rule that nobody can wear masks not authorized by the hospital. I gave her a box of N95's from work and she's wearing one because she has a lot of patients that have been tested but not yet confirmed. I told her, they can't afford to fire her, and if they write her up, they're in direct violation of OSHA standards so they can't do that either. Wear it. Better use any PPE you can to stay as safe as possible. Not to mention all the other crazy diseases out there.

I work in metal fabrication and powdercoating, and we can't find P100 filters and masks either. Half or full masks. Blowing out the ones we use with more regularity now, gotta make them last.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I was digging through my paint cabinet and discovered two n95’s. Gave em to my son who works at a hospital in their procurement department. I guess they can’t find em anywhere and are trying to figure out a safe way to sterilize used ones. The local PD in Provo has asked people to 3D print masks and donate them to the department. They cut an N95 into five pieces and glue em to the 3D printed mask somehow. I think they have been overwhelmed by the response. When shtf , I think the good shows in some people.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Seems that Idaho runs a bit different than some areas you guys are talking about. Our local hospital, Gritman, is in complete lock down with many wearing masks already, even without any confirmed cases (yet, but to be fair we have done very little testing). Even visiting with my contact about making the filters and the over-masks, they wont let me in the doors. My contact meets me in the parking lot.

They have been driving the push for the home made over-masks, but Im also working to fill a bit of the need for the filters themselves. Im looking to do a few hundred this week, and if I continue to get volunteers, even more next week. :smokin:

Gritman now has our filter pattern and video link, in addition to our re-worked & updated (enlarged) fabric over-mask, on their website.

https://gritman.org/community-sews-seeds-of-love-for-frontline-health-care-workers/

A note about breathing ability in these...

If you have ever worn a properly fitted N95, then you know that breathing is harder. These are no different. Add in a couple layer of cotton, and it is a touch more difficult, but this is what the hospital is requesting.

Ive worn one of my own prototypes for 4+ hours at a time, multiple times, even for a 4+ miles walk/hike with the pup. I found that over time the moisture buildup in the cotton is what will really effect wearing these.

Also, the way the filters themselves are made (3-layers) the inner layer can be removed, to run them as a 2-layer filter, or just run the inner layer, for a single layer. But the goal was to replicate as close to possible the flow rating and filtration capacity of the N95. And I think we are as close as it gets.

And to the moron that thinks I'm suggesting fiberglass filter material.... watch the video. These filters are electrostatic-ally charged polyethylene (plastic), not fiberglass. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I guess they can’t find em anywhere and are trying to figure out a safe way to sterilize used ones.
Our hospital has built and is currently testing UV "ovens"
Seems to do the trick. Ive also heard pure Ozone will do it as well.
As does an alcohol bath... but I fear that may kill the electrostatic charge of the fabric.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Our hospital has built and is currently testing UV "ovens"
Seems to do the trick. Ive also heard pure Ozone will do it as well.
As does an alcohol bath... but I fear that may kill the electrostatic charge of the fabric.
When this kicked, I wondered about ozone. I have a couple machines. A whole house one we use in houses that smell and a tiny one I use on my hunting clothes(in a storage tote).

Everything I read says it kills viruses.

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Speqking as a hazmat technician here and a nurse and emt. N95's have a charcoal filter in htem to achieve the 955 rating as well as a form fitting seal. Anything less is not an n95.

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
From the frontline, Thank you though for your efforts.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Speqking as a hazmat technician here and a nurse and emt. N95's have a charcoal filter in htem to achieve the 955 rating as well as a form fitting seal. Anything less is not an n95.
There are some N95's that have an additional Charcoal layer.
But the actual N95 rated filter media does not have charcoal.

The form fitting seal is a HUGE thing though.

The fabric "over-filters" we are making that accept an N95 (to extend its service life) or these custom filters, are oversized and have a proper wire nose bridge.

They seal up very well. At least on my face, they seal better than a legit N95 once fitted.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts