Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are losing our access to public lands at an alarming rate.

Why is this happening? Because our pro-access organizations are WAY under funded and their membership numbers are abysmal. The Sierra Club can walk into a senator's office and say they represent 2.4 MILLION people....our own organizations can't do that. And that gives us way less voice where it matters: with our legislators who only think about potential votes.

Despite there being over 53 million OHV enthusiasts in the USA, the Sierra Club's membership base outnumbers us by about 500-1. While our organizations HAVE saved trails and are fighting tooth and nail for every inch of trail, they need YOUR HELP.

Take a quick second to add up how much money you have wrapped up in your rig.

Now add in all the $$ spent in gas, registration, smog, camping gear etc. that you had to pay for just to go wheeling.

Keeping that total dollar figure in your head: is $45 a year for Cal4 Wheel or $29 a year for the Blue Ribbon Coalition REALLY that much?

HERE IS WHAT I AM ASKING YOU TO DO RIGHT NOW:

1. Pick a pro-access organization that fits YOU.

Here's a few:

Cal4 Wheel is one of the oldest pro-access 4x4 organizations in the USA. Individual memberships are just $45 a year. You don't need to live in CA or be in a 4x4 club to join.

CA4WDA, Inc. CA4WDA Individual Membership

Or even better, Call Bonnie at Cal4 and join. (916) 381-8300 She is an AWESOME LADY.

BRC is one of the nationwide organizations, filled with people who are pro-access for not just 4x4's but dirt bikes, snowmobiles, watersports etc. Just $29 a year or $49.95 for two years.

https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute

There is also CORVA, CORVA - Home United, UFWDA | United Four Wheel Drive Associations and many others. I don't care WHO you join....just pick one that fits you, or sign up for as many as you can afford.

2. SIGN UP (or renew) AND TELL THEM KURT SENT YOU.

Do it now. I am not getting ANYTHING in return for this, they don't even know I am doing this, but I would like to see if we can make a measurable difference with this membership drive.

3. POST UP IN THIS THREAD AND BUMP IT.

Even better: please share it on social media if you can. If I can get the approval, and a few vendors on board, I may even turn this into a give-away. Stay tuned and check back occasionally.

Don't rely on the other guy. Our organizations need YOU.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Another easy thing to do if you use Amazon is to sign up for Amazon Smile. BRC is one of the orgs you can donate your Smile dollars to.

·
Premium Member
16,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

There are currently 3,100 people on Pirate right now. If all of them joined Cal4, it would nearly DOUBLE Cal4's membership base.

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
I am a current member of BlueRibbon Coalition, Cal4Wheel, CORVA, U4WDA, and others. I make regular $100+ contributions to each one when I see them taking a stand that is particularly important to me. The most recent instance happens to be CORVA & PLF's lawsuit against the Forest Service. I sent $100 to CORVA and $100 to PLF.

We don't have a right to complain about all these land closures unless we are actively being a part of the solution. Most of us can't attend all the meetings and court dates required to effectively resist the anti-access movement, so it's our responsibility to provide financial assistance to those who ARE attending those meetings and spending money to professionally fight on our behalf. Unfortunately, being right doesn't mean our land (mis)managers and courts will side with us - it takes money to make our voices heard, and that's why the anti-access groups are so successful in spite of being in the wrong.

Thank you, Kurt, for bringing this to everyone's attention. Thank you to everyone in the pro-access organizations who are fighting these land closures every day. And thank you to everyone here who makes a contribution to these organizations!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Joined both Ca4wda and brc for 2 years. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Joined BRC, which I've been meaning to do for a while. Thanks for the push and all of your continuing hard work.

·
Premium Member
16,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
1,300 people have viewed this thread so far.

13 people joined or renewed.

Does this sadden anyone else?

NOW you see the issue. Everyone relies on the other guy.

·
Old School
1,871 Posts
Here in New England public land where wheeling is legal basically does not exist. There is a 1/4 mile trail in MA and this year a 2 mile trail will be opening at Jericho Mountain State Park in Northern NH. Otherwise wheeling is limited to relatively easy-to-navigate minimal maintenance town roads and a handful of private properties.

The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs consists of 25 member clubs representing 1,000 wheelers who have banded together to turn the tide. We share private properties amongst our member clubs, represent the 4WD community at the state level, and have initiated a fundraising campaign seeking to acquire our own properties. Membership is open to all clubs who share our passion for the sport and want to help us expand access to land.

Click the image below to visit out web site or contact us at [email protected].

1 - 20 of 105 Posts