Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was brought to my attention by camo that oval dimples would be cool, and no one has them as far as i know. i'm sure they are out there but not readily available to us off road guys. the worst part about oval dimples is the cutting of the hole. a punch would be really expensive and plasma cutting would require some tedious clean-up. laser would be perfect but how many of you have a laser in their garage?:laughing:

anywho, would you want to be one of the cool kids with oval dimples on your rig?

obviously these would cost more than any round die due to the machining process, but the profit margin would be fair if i get them done.:smokin:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would probably buy some. I dimple plasma holes all the time off my Torchmate table and they look just fine.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I'd be interested in a set depending on price. I have a waterjet at my disposal, so ovals are plenty easy.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have dimpled 100's of holes cut on my TorchMate table with no issues. I would be interested in some oval dimple dies as well. Thought about this a while ago and was going to ask a friend of mine if he could make some but never got around to it. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i'll offer one size to start, and go from there based on demand.

the size of the oval hole will be 2"x3" and will be cut from 4"x5" 1018 rectangle stock. i should have pricing by tomorrow, but i wont be able to start this until i have enough (refundable) pre-orders. i'm guessing these would be available by january if enough people are ready to buy.:D

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Oval dies that arent fixed will not last very long. If you made a die set with two pins that aligned them you would be golden otherwise the upper or lower would clock under stress and tear the material and end up ruining the die.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Oval dies that arent fixed will not last very long. If you made a die set with two pins that aligned them you would be golden otherwise the upper or lower would clock under stress and tear the material and end up ruining the die.
Correct^^

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not sure why an oval die would do that but a circle die wouldn't?

i would think the male oval inside the female oval whould keep it from twisting.
also wd-40 or similar would keep the large pin lubed enough to not gall it up.

i could be wrong since i've never used an oval die before. but if there's going to be problems, maybe someone else can make these so i can avoid the headaches.:D

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
If the male oval clocks any misalignment before the pressing starts it will work like a champ.

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
I was going to turn up a set of dimple dies and get them heat treated this week. Now you fellas want to make me go the oval route.

Just do two pins aligned on the longest edge, Hard mill those after heat treat (slip fit) when I'm finishing the forms. Seems simple enough. I'll get something drawn up and report back.

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
Threw this together real quick. Dies are the easy part. The hole in the sheet metal itself would have to be cut with a plasma, I would say. I was thinking you could just drill two holes in the material to be formed where the dimple die alignment pins go, and make a punch and die that use the same pattern. But the force needed to punch that would be fairly high considering the surface area.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Any idea on a cost? I would be in for set.

Any chance you can build a prototype to shown the concept works?

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Is that a Mastercam solid? Did you remember to put your material thickness in the assembly?

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
Is that a Mastercam solid? Did you remember to put your material thickness in the assembly?
Yes it is, X5.

Yes sir on the thickness. I just happen to use 16ga, but depending on material type, wouldn't be much to change the thickness.

I'll gather up some aluminum or cold roll today and see if I can run something tomorrow just to test theory. I'll also get a quote on heat treat so I can get some numbers together. If prices look decent and I can get a few people on for a couple sets, I'd be happy to knockem out. Any specific sizes?

On the pin holes. I have always been told by these old engineers, that as long as the two sliding materials have at least 2 Rockwell points different, they would NOT galled up.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Thought I recognized that WCS :) I would go with some hard pins 52+RC you can get these cheap at mcmaster. You may also want a flat landing area to take up stresses in the material after the dimple is done.

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
Thought I recognized that WCS :) I would go with some hard pins 52+RC you can get these cheap at mcmaster. You may also want a flat landing area to take up stresses in the material after the dimple is done.

Not 100% sure what you mean. Are you talking about a larger foot print outside? Kind of act like a pressure pad in a die. Or are you talking on the bottom of the form? There will be about .25" of straight wall at the bottom of the radius (on the blanked hole end of the sheet) hoping any material pull or bunching will get soaked up there so the radius stays smooth. May lead to a bit of an uneven edge on the bottom, but it shouldn't be much.

It's possible I'm over thinking the hell out of this. I need to just run some test parts and see what we get. Always better to asses failure in your hand then on a computer screen. :D

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
You seem like a very sharp guy and I think just about anything will work well for a dimple. If you look at a dimple die there is a flat area for the steel to land on on the bottom it almost acts like a stress riser shield so yes thats what I was referring to. The larger the bend and more material your moving the higher the area and possibility of stress wrinkles in the sheetmetal. A oval or slot type die may fall into that category and a few tests will determine how the metal will flow and what the end result will be. Whip one out and give it a test run. Billybob13 started this thread and will most likely be selling these.

I dont think you can overthink dies there are certain features that will give a really nice dimple without sacrificing the die. Your definately on the right track.

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
I sent Billybob13 a PM. Don't want to seem like I'm hi-jacking if he is intending on selling something like this.

I'll run the test parts today, but I'll wait to hear from Billybob13 before I post anymore.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts