Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First full design and build, so flame on if you feel you must.... or better yet, constructive input would be welcomed.
I have been working on this tube frame buggy on and off for a couple of years now. Lately I have made some pretty good headway and and am getting close to being finished with the design.
It will be a 4 seater full tube frame, Chevy 350 V8 powered, TH400, D44 Front, Corp14 rear, off road exploration vehicle, a little bit of a crawler, a little bit of a overland vehicle, so a "Overcrawling" rig.
I also plan on making this street legal just to add to the fun factor.
I am getting close to having the design done and hopefully to a point I can start cutting and bending tube and welding it up.
If you are a off-roader/four wheeler/overlander/fabricator/builder/designer or experience in this sort of vehicle, I welcome any input on what could be changed or Look out for or input/help, I have never designed a vehicle or build one for that matter from scratch, but I'm making it happen.
I have done most of the design in Bend-Tech, last picture shows the different tubes I'm planning
Tan - 2"x.120DOM
Teal - 1.5"X.120 DOM
Green - 1.5X.120 HREW
Cyan - 1.25"X.095 HREW (tube doors, grab handles, and console areas)
Red - used to represent bend areas for sheet metal, (Foot Boxes, storage areas, etc)

I am still working on suspension, but planning on 4-link front and rear
Wheel base is 130"
Sitting on 37" tires
drawn with about 22" belly height

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cool project! Looks a little hummer-esque. I bet it will be fun to build and more fun to drive. How do you make a custom built vehicle street legal? I imagine they make that a difficult process...
Triangulated 4 link in the rear and a panhard bar in the front?
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool project! Looks a little hummer-esque. I bet it will be fun to build and more fun to drive. How do you make a custom built vehicle street legal? I imagine they make that a difficult process...
Triangulated 4 link in the rear and a panhard bar in the front?
4-link front and rear is the current plan, I should be able to fit it since Im building the frame... that is one of the next pieces to finalize.
As far as making it street legal, This vehicle would be considered a "Assembled" vehicle, I have to submit origin of parts and paperwork to DMV, and then have vehicle inspected by local law enforcement, then a vin assigned.
It has to meet all the requirements like: headlights, turn signals, break lights, wipers, horn, seat belts, emergency brake, etc. if all is good, I get the VIN and then I can register it and get plates for it. We will see how it goes, it has been difficult to talk to folks at DMV because of the "Virus"

·
Registered
29 Posts
4-link front and rear is the current plan, I should be able to fit it since Im building the frame... that is one of the next pieces to finalize.
As far as making it street legal, This vehicle would be considered a "Assembled" vehicle, I have to submit origin of parts and paperwork to DMV, and then have vehicle inspected by local law enforcement, then a vin assigned.
It has to meet all the requirements like: headlights, turn signals, break lights, wipers, horn, seat belts, emergency brake, etc. if all is good, I get the VIN and then I can register it and get plates for it. We will see how it goes, it has been difficult to talk to folks at DMV because of the "Virus"
I haven't seen too many triangulated 4 link front ends. Typically with the drive shaft and engine make it difficult to do. So i was curious.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't seen too many triangulated 4 link front ends. Typically with the drive shaft and engine make it difficult to do. So i was curious.

The front will probably not be fully triangulated, but still 4-link, for that very reason... dang drive shaft...

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Dont do a 44 front. Thats gonna be heavy and the 44 wont live. Unless you drive like a pussy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dont do a 44 front. Thats gonna be heavy and the 44 wont live. Unless you drive like a pussy.
It would probably hold up just fine if he had an aftermarket 44, or does some upgrades to a JK 44. 15+ JK 44's are pretty tough with a truss. They have an 8.8" ring gear instead of the traditional 8.5".
He didn't mention what width axles he was wanting to run, but the JK axles are 65.5" wide. Not sure what width a corporate 14 bolt is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would probably hold up just fine if he had an aftermarket 44, or does some upgrades to a JK 44. 15+ JK 44's are pretty tough with a truss. They have an 8.8" ring gear instead of the traditional 8.5".
The Dana 44 I have is out of a 77 Chev K20 pickup, I have trussed it and replaced everything in it. Well I guess I didn't replace axles, I know it will likely be the weak link, but I don't have a D60 laying around, or spent the time/money to make a steer Corp14. I guess I will take may chances on the D44 for now, and keep a eye out for something else.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Dana 44 I have is out of a 77 Chev K20 pickup, I have trussed it and replaced everything in it. Well I guess I didn't replace axles, I know it will likely be the weak link, but I don't have a D60 laying around, or spent the time/money to make a steer Corp14. I guess I will take may chances on the D44 for now, and keep a eye out for something else.
People always say dana 30's are so weak and that i am going to break it just pulling on the the asphalt, but i wheel fairly hard and haven't had any issues. So it really just depends on how you use it. If it does break right away you can fix it and make plans to upgrade it. For me, it was worth the $1200 i spent to upgrade my dana 30, rather than paying $4k for an aftermarket 44.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First bit of advice. Repost this on 1rate4x4. There you will find more helpful input. The 1 is an "I" Pirate4x4 won't let you put the site that is replacing it.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
He didn't mention what width axles he was wanting to run, but the JK axles are 65.5" wide. Not sure what width a corporate 14 bolt is.
OK

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you checked out the requirements from your state to make sure it will be able to be street legal?
Well, it looks like It would be registered as an "Assembled Vehicle" here in Oregon, and in conversations with the DMV, as long as I have all the paperwork, inspections and appropriate equipment(Wipers, headlights, turn signals, etc.) they will issue me a VIN and I can get it registered., I guess we will see when I get there...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts