Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting an overdrive in a '68 800. Right now the parking brake cross member is in the way where the drive line will go. Where there other set ups for p-brakes in 800's ?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Scout Dude said:
pull out parking brake assy...throw it away. Park against a rock. problem solved.

second that

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
pull out parking brake assy...throw it away. Park against a rock. problem solved
Buckshot33 said:
second that
Sorry for being so blunt and this will piss you off but aside from your backwoods thinking that is the stupidest fawking thing I ever heard. Obviously none of you have had your vehicle slip out of park and come rolling down the hill only to have your leg shattered in several pieces as two rigs made you the meat in the sandwich. Helicopter rides are fun, but not when you are ductaped to a stretcher followed by two weeks of intensive care. Since then three more major surgerys. PUT A PRAKING BRAKE IN THAT RIG! THE PAIN I HAVE ENDURED SINCE DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE to what it would have cost in time and money to have had a properly working parking brake.

Take it from someone who knows as this is cheap advice.

Jeff
________
VAPOR TOWER REVIEWS

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
ihojeff said:
PUT A PRAKING BRAKE IN THAT RIG! THE PAIN I HAVE ENDURED SINCE DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE to what it would have cost in time and money to have had a properly working parking brake.

Jeff

No shit. It's like having proper steering on a street driven rig. It's cheap insurance compared to the alternatives.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
ihojeff said:
pull out parking brake assy...throw it away. Park against a rock. problem solved

Sorry for being so blunt and this will piss you off but aside from your backwoods thinking that is the stupidest fawking thing I ever heard. Obviously none of you have had your vehicle slip out of park and come rolling down the hill only to have your leg shattered in several pieces as two rigs made you the meat in the sandwich. Helicopter rides are fun, but not when you are ductaped to a stretcher followed by two weeks of intensive care. Since then three more major surgerys. PUT A PRAKING BRAKE IN THAT RIG! THE PAIN I HAVE ENDURED SINCE DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE to what it would have cost in time and money to have had a properly working parking brake.

Jeff
That's why you park it AGAINST a rock! :idea:

Because the other alternative to most of the rigs on the PBB (Disk brakes seem popular) is to use caddy calipers with the intregrated e-brake. Guess what, these e-brakes suck, and they barely hold, if at all. So, is it better to park against a wheel chock or have someone "think" that they have a parking brake, but leave their vehicle running and have it roll into you?

·
Registered
734 Posts
greg r said:
I'm putting an overdrive in a '68 800. Right now the parking brake cross member is in the way where the drive line will go. Where there other set ups for p-brakes in 800's ?
Buy some steal and fabricate what you need. :idea:

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Scout Dude said:
Because the other alternative to most of the rigs on the PBB (Disk brakes seem popular) is to use caddy calipers with the integrated e-brake. Guess what, these e-brakes suck, and they barely hold, if at all. So, is it better to park against a wheel chock or have someone "think" that they have a parking brake, but leave their vehicle running and have it roll into you?
I'm going the route of the rear disc with the caddy e-brake. Is there something wrong with yours? Can it be fixed? Don't want to get all that work done for nada!

Anyone tried a line lock or other hydraulic e-brake?

Jeff
Ouch!

Thanks though, gives me more incentive for stupid little options like an e-brake.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Eagle-Mark said:
I'm going the route of the rear disc with the caddy e-brake. Is there something wrong with yours? Can it be fixed? Don't want to get all that work done for nada!

Anyone tried a line lock or other hydraulic e-brake?

Ouch!

Thanks though, gives me more incentive for stupid little options like an e-brake.
I run a Mico lock on my rear 60. I pump the brakes and it will hold on a hill for a little while, then it bleads off. Like scout dude said" Park against a rock".

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Eagle-Mark said:
I don't use Caddy calipers...I just researched before I bought and found out that they don't hold when you have 38" tires. Mostly they won't hold in reverse.
I have a Line lock in my buggy and I have a Highangle Driveline e-brake that will make it into the Scout when I reassemble the Scout.

Edit; regardless of what "e-brake" system I use, I still park against rocks, etc. Wheel chocks are your friend;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a rock won't do in a parking lot or curbside as I currently dailly drive it to work. But I do use one to chock a wheel with the current brake for back-up when on a hill in the sticks, or if really narlly shut down and park in gear to boot. I'm thinking that there may be a driveline drum brake, or something like that, or fab a whole new setup. Just explorin the options before I start hack'in 'n whack'in. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Scout Dude said:
That's why you park it AGAINST a rock! :idea:

Because the other alternative to most of the rigs on the PBB (Disk brakes seem popular) is to use caddy calipers with the intregrated e-brake. Guess what, these e-brakes suck, and they barely hold, if at all. So, is it better to park against a wheel chock or have someone "think" that they have a parking brake, but leave their vehicle running and have it roll into you?
Like I said, some of you are going to get pissed off. I can go into great length as to the whole story of what happened that day but the bottom line is if I had had "some" sort of parking brake that day it would have been better than no parking brake at all. There were no rocks in the area. Sure, a wheel chock would have been better, but hindsight and being young and dum and in a hurry didn't help much. Until that day this vehicle never popped out of park(727auto) and was parked on this hill for close to a minute before it came rolling down. All it was supposed to be was a quick tug on this Jeep and I was off to work. Obviously things didn't go as planned. Yes, I am a very BIG advocate when it comes to a full functioning parking brake. That one mistake 8 years ago cost me dearly, so much so that I would not wish this sort of shit to even my worst enemy. So regardless of what setup you have get some sort of parking brake in there as you never know when shit is going to happen - and a rock may be nowhere in sight.

Jeff
________
HotDemmi

·
Registered
234 Posts
I put the Caddy calipers on my Travelall and they didn't work at all. I mean, the calipers worked fine but no e-brake at all. What about an Explorer-type setup, if you have the coin or fab skills?
Darel

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Line locks are not dependable. I found my rig across the street the morning after I installed the damn thing. You know why? BECAUSE I DIDN'T PARK AGAINST A ROCK. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Darel said:
I put the Caddy calipers on my Travelall and they didn't work at all. I mean, the calipers worked fine but no e-brake at all. What about an Explorer-type setup, if you have the coin or fab skills?
Darel
I recently bought one of those Ford Exploder disc brake kits to see what it would take to adapt to the stock Scout Dana44. Looks like with some augering of the holes you could get the setup to bolt up but personally I'd rather just weld on the correct axle ends or build a 60. Otherwise the kit looks good and should hold the vehicle down just fine. I built a 60 for a Landcruiser several years ago with this disc brake setup and it worked really good with 35" tires. The kit by the way can be found in the Ford Motorsports catalog.

Jeff
________
Leilani cam

·
Registered
585 Posts
OK...I will throw in my .02.

When I swapped my 14 bolt to discs, I went through the same thing. I had planned on running a disc on the D20 till I found out the added cost and complexity of the hvy duty output shaft, etc.

Hearing bad things about the caddy calipers, I installed a high quality. high pressure ball valve in the rear brake line...stomp on brakes, lock valve, etc. Works finne for parking, but I was uneasy about losing a true mechanical e-brake.

The last trail run, I was doing the usual routine of 'peek under your truck and see what is bent-broken-leaking, etc, before hitting the street'. I noticed that one rear shock had torn off the mount at the rear axle and the shock had flipped over to the backside of the axletube. It was resting on the flex line that runs to the rear caliper and, while bent and stretched, the whole set-up held. Apparently I built that better than the shock mount.

If that line had torn off, I would have lost hydraulic pressure. If I would have had the presence of mind, I could have flipped the valve closed and shut off the rear brakes...stopping with the front only....IF I would have had time to work all that out in my head before I lost control of the rig.

Scary.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
mtroy- Are you running a single resivor? If not, you can drain the rear line completely and still have front brakes, or vise-versa. Also, in a run away vehicle situation, you have almost no time to react. Your best bet is to stear into something that doesnt look like a school bus, cliff, or crowd of people. I know.

Pinion brake sounds like the best option if the caddy chit dont work.

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Well I've always had parking brakes until the cables were half ripped off mine, now they are all removed and I don't plan on putting it all back to be ripped off again.

The parking on a rock/ditch/tree thing is a good idea! But you still need a parking brake for other situations.

Like last week when my truck was full of mud and wouldn't start to come off the trailer. Rolled it off. While working on getting it started my kid put it in reverse. I sat half in the truck turned the key and it took off in reverse and almost ran my fat ass over! :eek: Not good. Since I wasn't ready for it I got a half ass grab of the steering wheel as to not fall under the truck (made it turn more as to run me over) trying to get a leg in the clutch or brake. Did get the brake before anything happened other than a pretty good cut on my thumb from being stuck in the steering wheel. Had I had a parking brake things would have been a little less dramatic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts