Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone overfill tranny, t-case, diffs with oil. I'm overfilling my rear diff through the breather hole since I turned the perches up 8 degrees. A friend told me not to overfill the tranny or t-case. What do you guys do?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I dont over fill for 8 deg its not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I wouldnt over fill the tranny or tcase, unless you have a reason to warrent it. Leaks odd mounting etc...

I do 1 of 2 things depending on the tranny or vehicle. 1) run normal grade stuff, figuring it will get contanimated etc. and be changed more often. 2) run a synthetic and change it per manual specs... (or longer depending)

On a side note, after my brother burned up the rear output bearing on his 88 tranny. He switched to 20W50 motor oil during the cold winter months to prevent oil starvation on the top end stuff... The around town <10 miles never gave the gear lube time to warm and flow enough.... I think i read somwhere (here) newer ones have sealed bearings to prevent this issue

anyway....l8r, -yag

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

Just wondering because of rumors that trannys wear down faster when there is a lack of oil (going uphill during wheeling). But if no one has had problems then that must be a jeep thing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I can think of better things to worry about... I rank this on my list of to do stuff right after changing the air in my tires and retorquing the lugnuts on my spare tire.....

shigagegarifilous...

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
kd7srj said:
...retorquing the lugnuts on my spare tire.....
Some time, next month, when you'e doing 55 and least expecting it...

your spare tire is going to fall off.

Remember, you asked for it. Literally. ;)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Be a bit careful overfilling the tranny. I (long ago) took my sammy to a transmission shop. after they rebuilt it they got lazy and (over) filled it though the shifter mounting hole. filled it clear to the brim. Later, going over a rather high mountian pass on the freeway, the front seal let go. Tranny oil all over the cluch...Yuck! I did make it home, it was mostly down hill from there, and they did admit it was their fault and fix it, but the danged thing was just never the same after that :(

·
Hophead
77,678 Posts
I actually wondered about the rear diff myself. I notice after my spoa that the fill hole is awfully low compared to the axle centerline

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Don't overfill unless you like leaks.

The 8-degrees would be about 0.7 inch based on a 5-inch radius.

To counter this I would back my rig up on a slight slope or jack it up slightly then fill if your really worried about it.

I have never had any rear end problems that weren't abuse/dirt related.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Douglas said:
Thanks,

Just wondering because of rumors that trannys wear down faster when there is a lack of oil (going uphill during wheeling).
Just how long is this hill ? :flipoff2: And yes, Jeep trannies suck, the peugot as well as the ax15, both junk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts