Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck doesn't overheat when I drive freeway speeds, but when I wheel . . I have to take the hood off to wheel. I am wonderin what I can do to check my cooling system to see what is failing. All my belts are tight, so I think the pulley to the water pump is turning fine. Dunno . . .

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
<font color ="yellow">
Go down to the local pressure washer carwash joint and hit your radiator from the front and from the fan-side as thoroughly as possible. You can pretty much poke that nozzle against the radiator without hurting the vanes. Mine boiled over when crawling before I did this. Took more than 5 minutes for all of the water to come out without being brown, and now it runs about 2/3 of the way to the red, instead of in it.

Do this before anything else because it's worked for me and hey, it the cheapest solution you're going to find, so why not try it first?</font>

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
do you have a body lift?

i had the same problem and thats becouse the i never lowered the radiator and the fill point was lower than the radiator.

this was caused by the body lift so i lowered the radiator and it is all sweet now.

NICK

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
I played that game with my truck this past summer. I replaced the radiator hoses belts and thermostat and still had problems with low speed overheating. It turned out to be the fan clutch. You could hold the fan while the engine ran, I replaced it with a 16" electric fan from advance auto and have had no problems with it. It was a costly adventure but the truck honestly needed the radiator and hoses because they were both pretty crappy. Good luck.

-j-rOd

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Originally posted by Slick:
<STRONG><FONT COLOR="Red"> Your fan clutch might be shot... check it. </FONT c></STRONG>
i had that problem as well, after swapping to a thermo im glad i did, quicker to warm up in the morning and runs cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.