Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L HO w/QuadraDrive (Building as an Overland)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok, so I’ll start by acknowledging that I understand the current transfer case and axles aren’t ideal for hardcore off-road adventures. I used to have a 2007 JK that I hand built and it was a beast off-road; so much so that I would trailer it to destinations as I rarely went without breaking something. In my current season of life I have two youngsters and another on the way. The days of hardcore trail riding are done for now and instead I’m looking to create memories with them, see the country, and do some light to medium trail riding.

With a total budget of $12,000 I plan on doing the following:

-Sand blast undercarriage and repaint (northern vehicle with scaling)
-Custom fab front/rear steel bumper (w/tire & fuel tank carrier)
-Custom ExoCage tied into a interior roll cage
-Custom fab skid plates
-IRO 4 link rear / 3 link front
-Upgraded brakes
-Bead lock wheels
-Rooftop carrier (no tent plans for now)
-Awning w/annex & tire carrier
-Custom kitchenette / storage
-Custom interior / exterior lighting
-DIY truck bed liner exterior (desert tan)
-DIY truck bed liner interior (black)
-Various wear & tear items
-Reupholster front seats / console
-CB & UHF radios w/ handheld for spotter
-GPS & booster antenna
-Custom stereo with CarPlay
-New aftermarket front / rear taillights
-Recharge A/C (hopefully that’s all that’s wrong 🤞🏼)
-Onboard water tank (10-13 gallons)
-Water heater
-Dual batteries
-Recovery gadgets (hi lift, maxx trax, yank strap, snatch block, land anchor, etc.)
-RotoPax style fuel & fluids tanks
-Onboard air (potential lockers, but I’m still learning about QuadraDrive & it’s limitations)

Part of my savings comes from left over parts from the old JK that I’ll fab up to work with the WJ. It will be a ton of sweat equity, lots of research for great deals, and calling in some favors, but I believe I can get this done for the 12k when I’ve listed it all out with $750 to spare for “miscellaneous” items vs. the 60k I had invested in my old JK.

Items to consider, but may break the budget and/or be outside of my talent level:

-keep current setup and change gears from 3.73 to 4.56 (shifts down a bunch on hills unless I’m doing over 75 MPH on what shows on the dash; it has 33’s and I don’t think the computer has been programmed to know that)
-current setup + lockers?!
-Or, transfer case swap & axle swap
-4” lift up to the 6.5” lift
-Engine rebuild (only 88k original miles, but I want a solid, dependable rig for long trips)
-Transmission rebuild (when necessary)
-Coilover shocks
-Rooftop tent
-Snorkel (currently have an ARB Cold Air Intake and old air box)
-interior / exterior infrared (for night vision to run night rides without lights, you know for the impending apocalypse)
-will likely dream up more

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I specifically bought this Jeep because of the unique features and low mileage, BUT being a northern vehicle is horrible. It’s an insane amount of rust. More than this Texas boy has ever dealt with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I know I’m jumping around a bit here between these projects, but I’m limited twice a day and at 7:30 each evening. The room that connects to my garage just happens to connect to my 2 year old daughters room who takes naps and heads to bed early. My hands are tied with noisy projects so I have to bounce around a bit. I’ve also applied this color to the rear as a demo of how it will look when it’s fully applied. I think I’m going to love it!

I’m doing the fender flairs in truck bed liner black to match the texture, but make certain areas stand out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I’ll bet she’s really going to enjoy a new set of stopping power. This eBay kit included the calipers, rotors, and coated brake pads. I LOVE how cheap the replacement parts are for these Grand Cherokee’s. They may be completely devalued, but that’s just a bonus for builders. I’ve literally found complete, running donors for $600-$1000. Needless to say, I’ll be hard pressed to find myself without the ability to get what I need relatively easy.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,203 Posts
So you’re doing a JK axle swap under this?

I just think the budget is tight for ‘miscellaneous’ unless you’re not going to count a lot under that. 6% is probably half of what I’d say is miscellaneous purchases, but I’ve never done this. Should be fun to follow.

Photos of the JK and specs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So you’re doing a JK axle swap under this?

I just think the budget is tight for ‘miscellaneous’ unless you’re not going to count a lot under that. 6% is probably half of what I’d say is miscellaneous purchases, but I’ve never done this. Should be fun to follow.

Photos of the JK and specs.
the JK axle swap is a big “maybe/would love to” on my laundry list of wants for this build.

after a late night of discovery, I’ve found that I’m going to either destroy my “miscellaneous” budget or learn to TIG weld. The welder I bought is a multi process so I guess I’m learning to TIG. I had found this broken mount that I thought was connected to the transfer case. Since it drives and shift smoothly without issue, I didn’t think much of it. Then, after closer inspection last night getting ready to drain all of the fluids I found that it was actually the entire adapter between the transmission and the transfer case that had broken brackets and the transfer case was actually just free hanging with no support whatsoever. The skid plate that comes on these stock also acts as a support bracket for the TC. Not being familiar with these Jeeps I didn’t even notice it was missing. And, until I looked at a photo of a stock rebuild unit I had no idea the brackets that should have been a dead giveaway we’re cut off... I’m sure I’ll eventually find the adapter (although I looked all night and can’t find it; discontinued), but my transfer case is “perfectly healthy” for now so I don’t want to spend the $750-1500 to replace it and will instead do an extensive amount of practice before welding new brackets onto the cast aluminum case and fab up a new skid plate.

I hate when people are liars... I honestly got such a great deal on this Jeep that I wouldn’t have even dinged the guy for knowing this was an issue that needed addressing. Just sucks to find out after being told, “limited mods and everything is basically stock with absolutely NO issues.”

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Here’s a pic of the JK before I sold it. I swapped the the bead locks just before selling, but have since sold those too... will have to do some hunting for a good set of those on 5x5.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,203 Posts
After buying my Jeep I assume everyone who says their toy vehicle runs great doesn’t even look at anything. It’s how I found out the rear main wasn’t bad, and then how I found out motor mounts were destroyed. Clean it all off EXCELLENT as if you want it to look as good as new to sell for $3,000 more than you bought it for. Seriously. You’ll find a lot more with clean parts than dirty.

I’m learning SMAW and eventually GMAW just to build mine. TIG....have fun. Looks cool and REALLY detail oriented.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After buying my Jeep I assume everyone who says their toy vehicle runs great doesn’t even look at anything. It’s how I found out the rear main wasn’t bad, and then how I found out motor mounts were destroyed. Clean it all off EXCELLENT as if you want it to look as good as new to sell for $3,000 more than you bought it for. Seriously. You’ll find a lot more with clean parts than dirty.

I’m learning SMAW and eventually GMAW just to build mine. TIG....have fun. Looks cool and REALLY detail oriented.
My father always taught me that practice makes perfect and there’s no task you can’t overcome if you truly put your mind to it. These are words that I’ve lived by thus far and they have gone well for me. That said, I’m not taking away the skill or talent needed to learn and master TIG, but when I don’t know something I go and make friends with or pay someone to teach me. I’m a glass half empty kinda guy, what can I say...

😁👍🏼

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,203 Posts
I'm forever a student. I found the $500 I paid for a college course on SMAW has been MORE than what I've used on material, and I have someone to give me new projects to try, and experience to pass on. I'm not the "just buy a welder and keep practicing" type. I'm the "I'll pay you to critque me and tell me how to get better while providing me all the supplies I need" type.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm forever a student. I found the $500 I paid for a college course on SMAW has been MORE than what I've used on material, and I have someone to give me new projects to try, and experience to pass on. I'm not the "just buy a welder and keep practicing" type. I'm the "I'll pay you to critque me and tell me how to get better while providing me all the supplies I need" type.
100% agreed. Frankly, we’re not inventing the wheel. Let someone else who spent dozens of hours in school get us to where we need to be for the very specific hobby projects we have. 😂👍🏼

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took a trip to my local pick-n-pull over the weekend. After exhausting online research, I simply could not find a transfer case adapter.

Thankfully, I now have a backup 247J as well as a few other little nick nacks and a skid plate for the TC. All for about $300 vs the $800 + shipping & core fee that I could find on eBay, etc. I’ll mention, if it comes down to a time crunch, it will certainly be worth paying someone else to do a rebuild. As of right now, mine only has 88k miles so I’m content to change fluids and let it ride. In all of my searching and a gut wrenching desire to swap the case for a 242 to be able to run lockers, I’ve decided against it. In addition to being expensive, I’ve found that the right use of the QuadraDrive with LSD’s in both the front and rear has proven to be more than sufficient for an over landing rig. It certainly won’t live up to my old JKU, but with my season of life and kiddos, I’m not all too consumed with rock climbing and hitting the borderline wreck less trails.

although, I do tend to get jealous when I watch rigs do hardcore trails; I’ll save that for retirement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
decided to upgrade to a more modern radio with new age features like Bluetooth, GPS, touchscreen, etc. made a huge tactical error when drilling the usb hole for the iPad input. Wife called me to dinner and I just wanted to finish “one last thing.” Ended up boring a hole right through the wiring harness after 2 hours of soldering wires together for the aftermarket radio harness.

on a positive note, I tested it just before and learned I have the infinity sound system which sounds beast for a 20 year old radio system. I’m changing out the sun baked tweeters though.

now, it’s just 12 hours of removing the entire dash to solder my accident... I’ll replace the heater core, actuators, blower, etc while I’m this far into the dash and don’t want to have to do this again for a very long time. Thankfully, there are some awesome YouTube “how-to” videos on this bolt for bolt, clip for clip, screw for screw. It was a very, very long process.

Automotive exterior Technology Automotive lighting Bumper Machine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You’ll notice that I started disassembly of the steering wheel while I’m this deep in. Mine is all mushy and weird feeling, plus I won’t be able to use the nifty steering wheel controls for the radio so the nearly perfect one I got from the pick-n-pull works out great as it doesn’t have the fancy options. I know it’s probably odd, but having buttons that don’t actually work or do anything bothers me... especially when my hands can literally fiddle with them while I’m road tripping.

Make sure to pick up a jaw puller before you begin this simple, but tedious task.

Searching the forum for advice, I’ve never dealt with anything automotive refrigerant and will need to deal with that to handle the heater core.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Turns out about 1/4 of the engine compartment get disassembled to reach the 2 bolts and 2 hoses needed to remove the interior housing for the heater core.

Decided to go ahead and do the condenser core while I was in here so that every single piece has been replaced new and fingers crossed I never have to do this ever again.

Pro Tip: each of these motors looks exactly the same, but some of them are actually different. Be very aware of this when replacing these motors. Rock Auto (.com) has been absolutely amazing about sourcing these parts.

I’ll take lots of bolt on pick-n-pull parts, but as it relates to this venture, I really don’t want to do this again so I ordered everything brand new.

Total project cost $227
Engine Automotive engine part Fuel line Nut Screw
Machine Automotive engine part Engine Wire Nut
Machine Tool Metalworking Engineering Tool accessory
Machine Automotive engine part Engine Wire Nut
Machine Tool Metalworking Engineering Tool accessory

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Installed new E-Brake pads today. Not sure why an engineer designed these the way they did, but I’d have some choice words for them...

Replaced the calipers with remanufactured ones and upgraded the rotors to drilled and slotted. There’s a full break-in process for these that I’ll have to remember to go through on its first shakedown run.

I didn’t make it to doing the front today because the manufacturer forgot a single clip that holds the pads to the caliper so I took it as a sign to go ahead and upgrade the front hubs while I’m this deep in and have to wait for shipping on a clip during Christmas season. Ugh...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This may be kind of goofy, but I wanted a custom grill and these $4 LED’s should be just the thing to get it done. They came sealed and I took the time to seal them on top of what was already done. Hopefully that’s enough to keep them looking good for a few miles. The “amazon” reviews were 5 stars out of thousands of reviews for whatever that’s worth.

A quick test before installation; my home garage is a nightmare to be doing this big of a project.

This is the very first reinstalled “complete” item on the entire Jeep. I’m really in love with the bed liner paint. 😍

1 - 18 of 18 Posts