Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a Bostich F21PL framing gun, and it calls for 120PSI air in. Will I have an issue running it at 150 (what my OBA is), or should I get a regulator to bring it down to the reccomended 120? I can't see the 30 PSI making all that much of a difference.

Andy

·
Registered
927 Posts
It shouldnt be that big of a problem, but most likely you will blow out a couple of the seals in the nail gun. Not only that, but whatever you are nailing into, you will be pushing it further into the wood than what you may want. Most of the nail guns I use run ~100psi, so 150psi will prob push the nail pretty far into a 2x4 if not cause excessive splitting.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
How much hose will you be using?? you can account for line drop to a degree..

When i setup a compressor for a customer, i take a look at how much hose they use. If a guy has 100' of 3/8" hose and splits it off 6 ways with 1/4 hose, he's going to lose a lot of pressure through the friction of the hose and every connection.

If your going to plug a nail gun in and shoot nails within 50' of your truck, you will want a regulator. If your going to shoot 10 nails then go for it.

When you over pressurize a gun it kills the bumper and the driver. Trigger o-rings are still a concern but the hard parts will really take a beating.

Keep in mind, Bostitch parts are a bitch to get.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had 2 bostich brad nailers and 1 narrow crown gun and all of them developed a pretty bad leak at the trigger. Not sure if my air pressure was too high (90 psi) or if they just stink. regulator is probably not a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It won't blow up in your hand but you definitely won't get the same longevity out of it.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
using a senco framer gun, shooting 16p 3.5" coated nails I set my reg at
about 90 psi.

anymore psi than that and it starts tearing up lumber and driving nails way

to deep.

--Sherpa

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If your going to plug a nail gun in and shoot nails within 50' of your truck, you will want a regulator. If your going to shoot 10 nails then go for it.

When you over pressurize a gun it kills the bumper and the driver. Trigger o-rings are still a concern but the hard parts will really take a beating.

Keep in mind, Bostitch parts are a bitch to get.

Next time I'm at Homey's or the like I'll pick up a regulator. I'll have maybe 25
feet of airline between the heep and the deck.

Andy

·
Registered
360 Posts
If it makes you feel better it is probably worth it but

if you do and the nails arn't sunk to a depth you like look at your gun's manual and there is a simple adjustment. For one deck I wouldn't hesitate using it the way it is unless it was a my house and I planned on staying there awhile. If that were the case I would use screws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts