Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me, but it's been over a month since this topic was brought up...

is anyone running the OX joints yet? breaking them?

what about the forged CTM's, are they breaking significantly more than the original billet's now? Everyone seems to respect Jack's product, that might be the final selling point for me, but I'm still wondering if the OX is even getting run? :D

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
The newer CTMs are NOT weaker than the old Billet joints. Jack has improved his spec on the anealing process, and they are testing as strong or stronger than the billets. He has a lifetime warranty on these joints, you can bet that he is always doing everything he can to keep the quality as high as possible.

OX Joint??? What is an OX joint???

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
H8monday said:
The newer CTMs are NOT weaker than the old Billet joints. Jack has improved his spec on the anealing process, and they are testing as strong or stronger than the billets. He has a lifetime warranty on these joints, you can bet that he is always doing everything he can to keep the quality as high as possible.

OX Joint??? What is an OX joint???
I don't think you can even get OX joints right now, I think existance of the company is questionable at the mement, so if you needs joints right now, get CTM's, it may be a while for OX to get it together and make some product.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good points fellas, thanks. I'll go ahead and do the CTM's.

Two Q's: do you really need a shop press to get them in or will a good vice do? Is anyone selling them under $185? :D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
P&T jeeps said:
good points fellas, thanks. I'll go ahead and do the CTM's.

Two Q's: do you really need a shop press to get them in or will a good vice do? Is anyone selling them under $185? :D

minimum sale price is 185, if someone sells for less i'm sure jack will be pissed...

press?? your kidding right?? a 2# hammer and snapring pliers have workd for me 5 times now...

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
DSI said:

minimum sale price is 185, if someone sells for less i'm sure jack will be pissed...

press?? your kidding right?? a 2# hammer and snapring pliers have workd for me 5 times now...
You've broken 5 CTM's???? :eek:

J. J.

·
Registered
758 Posts
At the risk of stealing the thread, I have some intersting info on Ox Trax in general.

I called Ox Trax and spoke to a man named ??something?? Marx. I asked about availability of the Ox Joint and he claimed it would be shipping the end of March. (yeah....ok). I then asked about their ox-locker and if it was shipping. He said they hadn't made/shipped anything for 4 months while they were moving their shop. But had production stuff shipping in the next month. (yyyeeeaaahhh.....right!)

I then called EVERY distributor on the Ox Trax distributor list (I got time.....) and got the same answer; no product from Ox Trax in 6 months and no idea when anything was coming. None of them had any idea why they couldn't get product. Drive Train Direct even said they couldn't get hold of them because their number had been disconnected (not sure about this one due to the fact that I was able to get through). One of the distributors sort of confirmed the rumour about a legal battle between OxTrax and DriveTrain Direct. But nothing absolutely confirmed with proof.

It seems to me that 4 months to transition to a new shop is WAY too long if it means lost business. Also, it seems to me, that if you were going to be moving locations, that you would let your distributors know!!!

All in all, it's VERY FISHY!!!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I just ordered the CTM's, I sure hope they live up to the hype...:flipoff2:

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
four_by_nut said:
At the risk of stealing the thread, I have some intersting info on Ox Trax in general.

I called Ox Trax and spoke to a man named ??something?? Marx.

Blah blah blah....
So my question is, why on Earth would anyone want to do business with an untested, unproven, non-existent product with a company that is on shaky ground to say the least. Who knows how long they'll be around (for warranty claims, etc) to back their "product" up... CTM has over a year of extreme field testing, top notch customer service, and a world class product? Doesn't make sense to me....

IMO CTMs are the best 4x4 product of 2002.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I bought CTM's from West Texas Offroad... I installed them into my Warn shafts but waited to put them into my axle... lost one of those sexy little Zerks... was talking with jack this morning about dropping a sponsorship to our events raffle, and casually mentioned that i had lost a zerk and was wondering where a good place to buy a replacment one was... he said not to worry about it. He said he'd drop me one in the mail tomorrow and that it was no problem.

THAT is service... I wouldn't have expected it. I am amazed at how well he treats his customers.

I would and will buy another set to sit on the rack as spares...

Doug

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
four_by_nut said:

I called Ox Trax and spoke to a man named ??something?? Marx. I asked about availability of the Ox Joint and he claimed it would be shipping the end of March. (yeah....ok). I then asked about their ox-locker and if it was shipping. He said they hadn't made/shipped anything for 4 months while they were moving their shop. But had production stuff shipping in the next month. (yyyeeeaaahhh.....right!)

I then called EVERY distributor on the Ox Trax distributor list (I got time.....) and got the same answer; no product from Ox Trax in 6 months and no idea when anything was coming. None of them had any idea why they couldn't get product. Drive Train Direct even said they couldn't get hold of them because their number had been disconnected (not sure about this one due to the fact that I was able to get through). One of the distributors sort of confirmed the rumour about a legal battle between OxTrax and DriveTrain Direct. But nothing absolutely confirmed with proof.

It seems to me that 4 months to transition to a new shop is WAY too long if it means lost business. Also, it seems to me, that if you were going to be moving locations, that you would let your distributors know!!!

All in all, it's VERY FISHY!!!
That is pretty much the story I have heard from DTD, as I understand it, after DTD dumped a bunch of money into OX, they had an exclusive deal to be the distributer. Now OX is trying to flake on the deal and has delivery problems to boot, so now there is some legal issues and who knows what is going to come of it.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm doing neither but breaking sucks, especially ChrMo shafts when the ears slap! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
At the risk of getting flamed off the board. I run a lot of mud and hills, an average day's wheeling would be 40-50km on the trail. That said, would the CTM joints work well in a continues duty atmosphere. I understand the idea behind the strength but I don't want to be stopping to grease my joints every 5 min's or risk burning them up either. At 600 bucks a pair cdn. should I just carry a spare shaft or what?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts