Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a set of the "new" style Ox shifters for my cable lockers on my Volvo axles when I ran into a snag.

The Ox locker cable is pushed to lock the locker. The Volvo is the opposite, pull to lock.

The newer style Ox shifters don't allow for a "pull," only a push. The fork pushes against a cylinder inside the shifter which pushes on the cable to lock it. Ox went to this design to allow for a spring loaded shifter so the operator doesn't have to wait for the teeth on the locker to match up and lock. Just shift and go.

In order to pull my cable lockers, I had to make the Ox shifter pull and not push. They essentially had to be flipped around.

A friend made some housing mods to match the other side, and made a new cone into which the cable could be screwed into. This allows the cable to be pulled (and still utilize the spring load mechanism.)

Yeah, I need to get rid of the brass screws. :rolleyes:

The modified shifters:

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks, we need more tech on the Volvo Portals like this.

(And I need more money to get a set.)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cable only needs about 3/4" to lock, I'm not sure how much cable would be pulled by the ebrake, but I'm sure it's more than an inch.

On the other hand, a few guys in Malaysia lock their Volvos with car ebrake levers. Try it out and see!

For me, modifying the levers I already had was easiest. The older style that doesn't have spring loading is a *lot* easier to set up, but you have to hold the lever until the teeth engage.

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
Offer a kit for us lazy people....

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mieser said:
Offer a kit for us lazy people....
I would except there's no money to be made in a non-existant market, OX shifters aren't in production, and I'm not the one who did the lathe work. :rolleyes:

And, you still have to have something push down the end of the cable to get it to completely disengage. I can live with it, but my advise to others might be to just use the old shifters. If OX ever goes back into production, there should be someone wanting to trade their old style shifter for a new.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Is there going to be enough stroke for the locker to fully engage?

If you want to do something simliar you could use the cables and shifters that the Klune units use.

There is more info about them here and they are push pull cables as well. Unidrum levers

http://controls.tuthill.com/PDFs/Hardware&Accessories/Page 7.pdf

You will want to look and find the listings for the unidrum controls which any cablecraft dealer should have.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the locker is fully engaged. Something like that would definately work, but I'm not sure about the Klune design (haven't seen it.)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Not to high jack the thread but what about Go2Guy's Detroit conversion? He designed it after breaking the spiders, and works every time....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
That looks pretty cool. Very nice work. If anyone want to trade an old stlye shifter for a new I have been looking for a new style for a while now.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
YELLER BLAZER said:
Not to high jack the thread but what about Go2Guy's Detroit conversion? He designed it after breaking the spiders, and works every time....
Thanks for the help,

You guys will find you need the Detroit, at least in the rear, unless you just miller spool it. :D

Ken

·
Registered
885 Posts
Which detroit locker fitts volvos?

·
Registered
885 Posts
What do you have to modify on the Dana 30 locker to fit it?

Would it be possible to fit a modified ARB D30?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
possible- even likely, but I couldn't confirm without measuring it:D

·
Registered
885 Posts
What is necessary to modify on the detroit D30 to fit it in the volvos?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry, not interested in a full locked rear axle. One of the selling points to me was selectable lockers. I'll worry about a different locker if the need ever arises, otherwise, I drive like an old woman and don't see anything busting.

(fingers crossed that is....)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts