Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you think this is the same dumb old cylinder misfire question, it's not. :D

Ok, here's what I have. Of course it's a 3.4. I know it is in DIRE need of a tune up (hesitates a bit, kinda stumbles). I also know, I can clear the codes and keep them off....... to a point. I am aware of the wiring harness issue between the knock sensors as well.

Now that, that is all out of the way. Here is the ACTUAL question. I only get the P0303 code, when the engine has added load (i.e. when I turn on the AC). It never comes on outside of that. Which, I am sure is due to the need for a tune up. Never did it, then one hot day as soon as I flipped the switch for AC, BAM! light was on.

I only get the P0325 code at highway speeds (65mph and above), or when going uphill. So, when the engine load is at its peak (i.e. engine load exceeds 60% measured). Anything below the afore mentioned parameters, and I can drive it all day, and never throw a code. Being the P0325 code is for Knock sensor number 1, which is located smack on cylinder number 3, I wonder if they're related. So, here's the question. Is it possible that knock sensor 1 is reading detonation, while sensor 2 does not, which in turn throws a code, being this thing needs a tune up? By the looks of it, the plugs and wires haven't been changed in like a decade. I just don't want to rip it apart, if I don't have to.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Dont be such a cheap and/or lazy fuck. All problems are easier to diagnose with a properly tune up engine. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm aware. Don't have much time to do much with it these days. It just threw the P0325 up the other day. Just got back from our annual trip, and noticed it was quite gutless compared to usual since I towed the trailer. I'm going to do the tune up before too long. Just was hoping I didn't have to rip the intake off while I'm at it. It's the DD/tow rig, and is on the move daily.

·
popeye
5,625 Posts
I'm aware. Don't have much time to do much with it these days. It just threw the P0325 up the other day. Just got back from our annual trip, and noticed it was quite gutless compared to usual since I towed the trailer. I'm going to do the tune up before too long. Just was hoping I didn't have to rip the intake off while I'm at it. It's the DD/tow rig, and is on the move daily.
pops got the p0303 on his 96 runner the other day. spark plug is loose and has messed up threads. may be time to pull the head

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The couple I pulled, were pretty toasty. IIRC, the last time it had a tune up was around 180K or so. It currently has around 228K. I got it about 3 months ago. The guy I bought it from, it was his wives car, and she wanted something smaller. Traded a Cherokee for it. He bought it from a guy who rolled it. Just has a few dents, not too bad. But, before that, it was serviced quite regularly by Toyota. Found the service record in the back of the owners manual. But, that's why I'm having the dealer do it. They fawk it up, it's their problem. :grinpimp:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts