Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know they sell plastic panels in a variety of basic colors. However, the wife wants my buggy to be a red metallic. I'm considering using plastic for the back wrap-around panels on the buggy, so I need something flexible like plastic (or the other option is like .060" aluminum), but I don't know if you can get an acrylic enamel metallic paint to stick to plastic. Anyone have any experience with painting plastic?

Also, what about the thickness and type of plastic for this application? What should I be looking for in terms of material and thickness to wrap it around the rear boat tail corners?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

·
Registered
372 Posts
Stock Car Products sells the plastic rolls however, my last order has been on back order for a month or more. The plastic is .080 thick and will make very tight bends. It is so flexable that I don't think paint will last very long. It also grows in the sun. If you want a custom color I would go with aluminum.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I've been pretty happy with .093 clear polycarbonate (similar product to Lexan), painted on the inside surface. But I'm not really expecting it to last very long--thus far, since about February (when I hung the first set of panels on it) I've already trashed two passenger doorskins, one driver's doorskin, one hood, and a pair of rear quarters. Obviously (well, I'd hope, with the level of bodywork I'm munching), this is on a comp rig, and something that doesn't get more or less deliberately destroyed should last longer.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
I've been pretty happy with .093 clear polycarbonate (similar product to Lexan), painted on the inside surface. But I'm not really expecting it to last very long--thus far, since about February (when I hung the first set of panels on it) I've already trashed two passenger doorskins, one driver's doorskin, one hood, and a pair of rear quarters. Obviously (well, I'd hope, with the level of bodywork I'm munching), this is on a comp rig, and something that doesn't get more or less deliberately destroyed should last longer.

We tried the .065, and the .120 Poly works way better! Holds up for more than just one comp!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ya, I was also thinking polycarbonate (since I was going to buy a 4'x8' sheet for the door panels for visibility anyway). Any special prep to get the paint to stick? I'm planning to use an acrylic enamel with probably a red oxide primer.

What thickness are you guys using? I was going to get the sheet out of .120" but if thinner will work........

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rudezuk said:
We tried the .065, and the .120 Poly works way better! Holds up for more than just one comp!

You must've been posting as I was typing. What about the .120" for bending around the tail section? Got any pics of your buggy?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have .060 polycarbonate on mine. It's a little flimsy, but works well--has made it through 4 comps so far, but could use replacing now. :)

Paint it on the inside if you can, it'll look better, longer. I just used cheap Wal-Mart paint for some of mine, and custom-mixed color in rattle cans for the rest. Nothing special, so I think it's probably acrylic enamel. Prep for the paint consisted of pulling the plastic sheet of the poly. You can also use that plastic sheet for masking any pattern you're doing--cut it with an X-acto or similar, peel off the areas you want to paint. Peel the rest off, and paint the second color.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
No prep beyond pulling off the plastic on mine either. I figured, any prep I did, would probably screw up the color, since that prep work would be between the color, and the viewer.

I should clarify, my panels aren't beat to the point that they're unusable; not by any stretch. They're beat to the point that I changed them because I wanted it to look good. Last year's comp rig had the same panels on it all season, and it was pretty beat by the end of the year, but still took a pretty good picture (just looked ragged in person).

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Body panels eh Sean? You must be getting close. At least I hope so, for your sake. I couldnt imagine goin that long without wheelin.

What else do you have to do to get it on the trails?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BadAZYj said:
Body panels eh Sean? You must be getting close. At least I hope so, for your sake. I couldnt imagine goin that long without wheelin.

What else do you have to do to get it on the trails?
Lots still unfortunately..........I haven't been out since May of last year. Sucks ballz.

Hey Scott, how easily can you bend your .120" to follow the curves on the back of your buggy (assuming you went that far back).

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
My rear quarters don't wrap, just a little twist:

My doors have a crease in them, I just redneck brakeformed it with a steel table and a rubber hammer. My hood is the only thing I have that's really "bent" and it's actually just pulled into place. If you take the Dzus's loose, it pops back to flat.

The paint itself is rattlecan from Home Depot, right off the shelf (nothing special).

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right at $80 for 4x8 of .125"

Sean

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
http://www.fogdog.com/fog-in-concept-atlanta-braves-glass-tatz-graphical-window-film--pi-2045312.html

So I was reading the skymall magazine on the airplane the other day, and found this junk for sale called Glass tatz. basicly it is a vinyl graphic you put on your rear window, but you can see through it from inside the car. It would be pretty cool if you could get that film to apply to lexan sides, that way you could see out just like they were clear, but it would look like painted sides to the fans and sponsors. Of course unless you are sponsored by the Clevland Indians you are going to have to find a different source for the stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts