Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The front end was almost impossible to get square because I didn’t have a proper table. After what seemed like forever I was finally happy.

I used some 1" square tube to help hold the tubes in place. At this point I started running out of room in my garage. Good thing I only had to make 1 more bend.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That’s it, here it is as it sits today. I finally decided it would be a good idea to get the rest of the plate work laser cut. I have the trans and motor mounts, axle brackets, 5 point harness brackets, ect.

Anyone have experience running a samurai transfercase? Any bets on how long it will last? I'm starting to second guess the drive train...

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Only experience I’ve had with the samurai case was in my samurai, had 4.16 gears in it on 37’s. Stock power plant. Never had any issues and I was pretty hard on it but with you running a v8 it’ll be interesting to see. Run it till it breaks then run a 205 .

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Chassis looks great. I know I never broke a t-case in my Samurai with all 50hp of 1.3L engine in front of it, but I don't think I'd trust one with a V8 in front of it. Seems like a big engine for such a small chassis.

Reactions: NorCalJalopy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Chassis looks great. I know I never broke a t-case in my Samurai with all 50hp of 1.3L engine in front of it, but I don't think I'd trust one with a V8 in front of it. Seems like a big engine for such a small chassis.
Agreed, The vortec fits in CAD... hopfully it fits in real life or I might have to go back to my original plan of a 4cly or a small v6.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Very nice work!!! I wish i had your CAD and welding skills. No first hand experience with Sami T-case. The portals will help take some of the stress off of it but seem like a big ask to have it hold up to an LS. A 3RZ would be bad ass in there!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Very nice work!!! I wish i had your CAD and welding skills. No first hand experience with Sami T-case. The portals will help take some of the stress off of it but seem like a big ask to have it hold up to an LS. A 3RZ would be bad ass in there!
Hmm I will see if I can find a good deal on one. What Auto trans would be good behind that?

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,113 Posts
Instead of taking out the engine to save the transfer case you could upgrade the transfer case (Atlas/Stak) to save the engine.

·
Registered
833 Posts
the trick to getting a samurai case to survive is to make sure you build a wrap around mount of some type. But personally i would run a different tcase.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Any ideas on a transfercase that has passenger side drop front and rear?
Personally I'd sell the L33 for a profit and use a smaller/lighter engine. Also, if you keep your drivetrain short enough you could run a centered output transfercase with the offset rear axle. Plenty of guys have done it, you just need to make sure the angles are right.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts