Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2015 JKUR, 1988 F-250 4x4 Diesel
4 Posts
Nice work given the limitations you are working under in your garage. With the planned weight being pretty light, and the portal axles, that should help the transfer case, but it also seems to ask if the LS is really needed? There are some nice V6s that would have plenty sufficient power for the light weight I think? Guess it depends on what you find and how much trouble getting it all wired and hooked up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Nice work given the limitations you are working under in your garage. With the planned weight being pretty light, and the portal axles, that should help the transfer case, but it also seems to ask if the LS is really needed? There are some nice V6s that would have plenty sufficient power for the light weight I think? Guess it depends on what you find and how much trouble getting it all wired and hooked up.
What v6 would you put in?

·
Registered
2015 JKUR, 1988 F-250 4x4 Diesel
4 Posts
What v6 would you put in?
That is a good question. Seems it comes down to what you can find (and at a good deal), and what would fit best. A shorter trans would help get the engine back to help weight bias. It is also a question of how hard it is to connect the computer and fuel injection. Since there is so much GM LS computer knowledge and support that may lead to a GM V6 like out of a Camaro or similar RWD. There are so many mid 3.x liter size V6s that make 280-300 hp range stock and have alum block and heads. So don't limit to just the GM, that was just me thinking out loud. A lightweight V6 with that power would be nice and help the transfer case as opposed to a larger displacement V8.
I do think a NA V6 is better than a turbo 4. You want something that will make the power when you want it, not have to wait for turbo boost to build. Although many of the newer turbo engines have almost no lag. I guess it comes down to what type powerband you are looking for? Low end torque is from displacement. The V6 is also theoretically a little shorter to help move engine weight back and give more room in front for accessory drive.

BTW, wish my welds looked like yours. Mine look l ike a bird shit on the metal in comparison. My basic problem is don't do it often enough and so every time I try to TIG I am relearning it seems.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
With all of the gearing you're going to have with those portals I'd probably just do a N/A 4cyl like a 1UZ from a toyota or even a 1.6L Tracker motor, if you want a V6 and want to stick with the a GM transmission a 3.6/3.8 Pontiac or 4.3 GM. The portals are going to make you geared really low, and using a Sami t-case if you regear it you'll also be underdriving the high range so you'll want something that can rev and let you have a decent top speed between trails/obstacles. You won't need a lot of power down low really. It seems like the majority of the lightweight portal builds I've seen are running ecotecs, 30RH's, and dana 300's to keep weight down as much as possible. The advantage of the portals is that it moves the torque load down stream so the small Dana 300 holds up better and a lot of times doesn't need a 4:1 kit installed.

Reactions: fordpickupman

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Looks like I'm going to stick with the L33. I got the Transmission cross member and brackets done today.

1/8" plate overlay's and some 1 3/4" Tubing. Hopefully it will be strong enough.

Hopefully by Friday I will have the engine and trans installed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Do yourself a favor leave room for t-case improvement in your build. For my sammi buggy, I am using an FJ40 T-case but I am going SM420 for a snow-crawler and probably a 4.3 or a 4.8 if I my 4.3 is no good. The 40 cases aren't uber-strong but you can get 4-1 gears for it and even though it won't be as strong as a cast-iron Orion case, it will be light and double or triple as strong as a Sammy t-case. I've got a buddy with a Tracker build and he's stripped the teeth off his gears at least once, doing some of the same trails you are looking to do. He's keeping the sammi case for now but he has expressed interest in something better because losing a weekend at a once-a-year event sucks when the closest parts are two states away.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Looks great, but that t-case will definitely be the weak link. Luckily they're what, 15lbs? Keep a spare in the back of the buggy lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Do yourself a favor leave room for t-case improvement in your build. For my sammi buggy, I am using an FJ40 T-case but I am going SM420 for a snow-crawler and probably a 4.3 or a 4.8 if I my 4.3 is no good. The 40 cases aren't uber-strong but you can get 4-1 gears for it and even though it won't be as strong as a cast-iron Orion case, it will be light and double or triple as strong as a Sammy t-case. I've got a buddy with a Tracker build and he's stripped the teeth off his gears at least once, doing some of the same trails you are looking to do. He's keeping the sammi case for now but he has expressed interest in something better because losing a weekend at a once-a-year event sucks when the closest parts are two states away.
what year/model fj40 case are you using? I see advanced adaptors has a conversion kit to a TH350. The portal axles are 6:1 so they aren’t crazy low. I was thinking of getting 4:1 low range gears for whatever transfer case I end up using.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts