Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone built or replaced their panhard with a more stout one? Mine got bent in NM by what looks like lateral forces from the passenger side. No dents or dings, it just bows up slightly. Looking for ideas.

Tis

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
A company called Rockstomper will thread a 1.5" tube (1/4" inch wall) with any thread pitch/size you want. They also sleeve these with a 1/4 inch wall tube and lay a bead on the end. They are out of Colorado and do nice work. Not sure if you have access to a lathe or not, but threading tube is not very difficult. This would make for a nice panhard rod bar. Obviously I am saying going with a heim style end/JJ end.

Way

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Way,
When you rebuild your Panhard Rod are you planning on extending it at all? I have thought about extending mine 1/4" - 1/2" to straighten up the front axle.

Also while I'm on the subject, Matt at Rockware tells me he has made adjustable Panhard Rods before. I suppose there wouldn't be much to that, as long as it was stronger than stock.

So do you think turning those big meats bent it or what?

·
Registered
158 Posts
lwg

Love that avatar image - feel free to post/link to some big pics! :D

bodge

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
FYI....Mine is adjustable and is also longer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Way said:
FYI....Mine is adjustable and is also longer.

:D Mine is adjustable too... Mostly keep it at the shorter length except for special occaisions... Sometimes it does go to the long length of its own accord - have to keep working on that :D

I have been told mine is long but i am prepared to believe yours is longer :flipoff2: No pictures please :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Bodgerover said:
lwg

Love that avatar image - feel free to post/link to some big pics! :D

bodge
bodge,
I will do that, just for you! I accidentally got the entire truck about 2-3 feet into the air while at Moab in February. Scared me at first (Thinking $$$$$ lost) but everything turned out fine!

Lessen learned, never listen to an Aussie telling you to "Go Faster!, Go Faster!"

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Picking mine up this week. It's 1.5" solid SS bar with 3/4" heims. And this time it's straight!:)

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
How are you going to clear the front of the axle housing if the panhard rod is straight? Unless you have a super tall lift or some other mounting system for the rod it shouldn't clear (at least on the Disco1, Defender, Rangie axles).

Billster

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Don't worry Billy! It'll self clearance on the first hit! :flipoff2:

--D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
What I meant was it isn't bent like my other fiasco was. You remember, the dropped P-Hard and the dropped drag link? As far as clearing the housing, I'm using 3/4" heims. The heim is much narrower than the mounting bracket. I've had some spacers and bushings made that will located the heim forward in the bracket, with the spacers to the rear. This gives enough clearance to clear the front of the housing. At least it did on my other bar. We'll see. If not, I'll put a few small bends in it, but it should be OK.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Brian, the longer panhard will re-center your axle after a tall lift. The adjustable units allow you to lengthen or shorten if you ever change your amount of lift.

With a panhard, as you raise your vehicle, the axle will be pulled slightly to the side that the panhard attaches to the frame. A lengthened (slightly-less than 1/2" in most cases) rod will get your front axle centered again.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Castor is only affected by rotating the center line positive or negative from the vertical axis. The panhard locates horizontally on the center of the frame.

I have 5 inches of lift and my axle is off slightly but it doesn't bother me yet.

j

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I built a big one out of the same 1.5" tubing i make my trailing arms out of... Since it's mostly a grocery getter (my wifes truck) i used bushings (do you think that was PITA to fit in the stock mounts!!!!?) But it's hell for strong!! And shouldn't bend thus eliminating any explanations if i ever get to take the truck on a weekend..... Are you listening Brain;)
It clears the sewer cap but just....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Pics???

What part of Colorado are you in?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts