Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welding up a spare 3rd... am I paranoid to be chipping out ALL the splatter? Worried some might break off and kill my R&P

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Then don't do it ;)

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Welding up a spare 3rd... am I paranoid to be chipping out ALL the splatter? Worried some might break off and kill my R&P
What?!? like attack of the killer splatter?

Don't worrie too much, it'll kill your bearings first anyhow.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok then - how do I get the cage out of a Longfield? does it have the 2 large openings like a stock birf?

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
i manually spin the diff with the opening down while liberally douching with wd-40 to get everything cleaned up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
you could spray some anti-spatter into the nozz of your mig gun and on the work, also setup of the mig plays a big part

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I used an arc welder and it worked fine. I just went through about 3 cans of brake clean getting all of the junk out.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Weld

A good machine, with the proper wire then there should not be much spatter. Welded many with Dual Shield ran hot.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got what I got for a welder. chipped off what I could and then some. Gonna run it and see what happens.

·
Vendor
786 Posts
I really don't worry too much with all that chipping. All the crap will fall to the bottom. Not like I will be running the Indy 500 with it or something.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
just get the loose crap out of the diff with a buncha brake cleaner and call it good. when i did my first diff i was worried and spent a lot of time. it helps to just spin it around and make sure the teeth are clean. give it a good splash. id be more worried about how the welds are on the spider gears and if itll blow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts