Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a HP60 for my TJ. im searched here, yahoo, google and various other sites. i cant seem too find what im looking for, what vehicles does it come out of? is it common? i hooked up with a guy that does axle work for dragsters and hes gonna really hook me up. i just needa find a housing. he said he could narrow it, lock and gear it for $900.

i dont need a flame suit, ive seen your guys ownage skills and its quit lamer. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kitty Cat said:
There is a special section you us newbies to ask these questions.
i know this, there was more traffic here and i wanna find an axle asap. its is also Jeep specific

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
called someone and he told me that it came out of a Ford 70 and up (i think that what he said). Is it the rear you looking for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kitty Cat said:
called someone and he told me that it came out of a Ford 70 and up (i think that what he said). Is it the rear you looking for?
a HP D60 is what im looking for..

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I understand your confusion, a SEARCH!!!!! wouldn't yeild you very many results; not many guys believe in HP60s around here.:rolleyes:

The prime HP60 is found out of a '78-'79 Ford F-350. Some newer models also run HP60s, but i'm not sure of the years. They're hard to find and damn expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JS-Economos said:
I understand your confusion, a SEARCH!!!!! wouldn't yeild you very many results; not many guys believe in HP60s around here.:rolleyes:

The prime HP60 is found out of a '78-'79 Ford F-350. Some newer models also run HP60s, but i'm not sure of the years. They're hard to find and damn expensive.
thanks alot, ive pretty much decided on a HP both front and rear. thanks again

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
You want a kingpin axle, not ball joint. Might want to research the subject a little before you dive into it.

You also have to figure lug patterns, brakes, if you want a HP rear that's alot of work, and a whole lot of other crap. the search button is your friend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jason R said:
You want a kingpin axle, not ball joint. Might want to research the subject a little before you dive into it.

You also have to figure lug patterns, brakes, if you want a HP rear that's alot of work, and a whole lot of other crap. the search button is your friend.
is a HP alot more effective other then driveline angles and clearance? would a standard 60 work ok?

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
The only reason you want a HP60 in the rear is driveline angles...

The front.. stronger (reverse cut gears), and nicer driverline angles..

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Lemme get this straight. You THINK you know what you need, but really arent sure? However, you KNOW its a Newbie question, and choose to post it in Jeep Talk anyways. And now that its been moved to Newbie section wher eit belonged int he first place....you want our help? As 94YJ said.....do you really think you are ready for a 60 :rolleyes: You need 78 and newer F350 Ford D60 front. Now go get one and dont come back :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Good luck finding a HP60 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You'll need to cough up some serious cash to get your hand on one - figure around $1200+ per axle. If you really must have one - shop here in the classifieds and on ebay.

BUT - seriusoly look at what it's gonna take to build one beofre you start looking for one. Do about a weeks worth of research before you start tossing cash around.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Here's my $2 bucks worth. Junkyard Ford HP44 and a standard cut D60 rear. VERY easy to find and a shit load cheaper. And those will stand up to 37" tire punishment if ya caress it.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JS-Economos said:
Here's my $2 bucks worth. Junkyard Ford HP44 and a standard cut D60 rear. VERY easy to find and a shit load cheaper. And those will stand up to 37" tire punishment if ya caress it.:flipoff2:
any special yr/model i needa find the 60 out of?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You really need to figure out what bolt pattern you want, what width you want your axles, what size tires you want, what type of suspension you want, etc. There's a shit load of factors that can determine what axles are swappable with the least bit of headaches. All these Ford axles are fullwidth. The HP44s are 65.5" or 67" wide. They're found in mid to late '70s F-100s, 150s, 250s. The 250s run the wider D44s with 8 lug hubs and huge dual piston calipers and leaf springs; these are 3/4 ton versions. The smaller 1/2 tonners are 5x5.5 lug and run coils w/ radius arms.

Again, you need to research, read, and draw up a plan from that. I've been planning and re-planning for a very long time now. I've got a good plan now and I'm just stalling for the funds.

HTH.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts